Author Topic: Best Red Meat  (Read 10536 times)

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Best Red Meat
« on: May 10, 2014, 03:53:30 pm »
What's everyone's favorite species of red meat? I'm having trouble enjoying beef, despite it being my absolute favorite when cooked. I really love raw poultry, much to my surprise, but I do want to make sure to include red meat in my diet. I don't think just poultry and seafood is enough. I just never care to eat beef. It tastes unusual now. I have a small amount of venison which I'm enjoying. It's more fresh and flavorful. But, it's very expensive ... though I don't mind spending extra if I'll enjoy it. I was thinking about antelope and elk .... what's your opinion on elk vs venison vs antelope?

Any other red meat suggestions?
In its purest, unaltered form, healthy food is delicious.

Offline edmon171

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Best Red Meat
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 05:27:06 pm »
I tried elk, it was a bit more flavorful than the venison. There's always lamb and bison if you're not into beef right now. I'd also suggest trying some different cuts of beef before giving up. I find the various textures to be very different compared to the same thing cooked. For instance, the small fibers in top sirloin, especially the cap or the coulotte steak are great when raw.
My basic health philosophy:

1. If it is advertized on TV, don't touch it.
2. If it is recommended in the news, do the opposite.
3. If it makes most people afraid, it might be good for you.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 05:36:51 pm »
There's always lamb and bison if you're not into beef right now.

Not a fan of lamb cooked or raw, though raw is a lot better. Bison always seems like slightly better beef. I only have access to pre-ground, though.

I'd also suggest trying some different cuts of beef before giving up. I find the various textures to be very different compared to the same thing cooked. For instance, the small fibers in top sirloin, especially the cap or the coulotte steak are great when raw.

I can try. I stick to cheap cuts like untrimmed chuck and also shank since it comes with soft bone marrow. I've only gotten cap for stews because of the massive slab of fat on one side, so that might be worth getting again for raw. Beef heart is meh. I do enjoy liver, though.

I might order elk. You're the second person to say it's like venison (which I enjoy) but even better.

Offline edmon171

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 06:02:16 pm »
That shank meat was the toughest thing I ever ate raw. I see where you are coming from, that would drive me away from beef too if I got it all the time. I like to fill up on the fat and organs to save money, then I have some extra cash to afford some of the nicer cuts of muscle meat when I want. Bison steaks are very tender, but not well marbled. Even the grain fed ones are still lean.

I recently decided to try some grain fed beef steaks raw for the first time. They were just bland and disappointing. Even with all that fat, it was like wet chalk. Normally ribeye and shell steak are two of my favorite grain-fed cooked steaks, but trying them raw just made it clearly obvious how worthless they are. I would take the cheapest toughest cut of grass-fed over that any day, just because it has flavor.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 06:39:31 pm »
I like raw wild boar and raw wild moufflon.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 04:15:38 am »
That shank meat was the toughest thing I ever ate raw. I see where you are coming from, that would drive me away from beef too if I got it all the time.

Really? I actually find that almost all cuts are pretty tender when raw, it's when you cook them that meats like chuck and shank toughen up (which is why they recommend those for slow cooking). The shank we get is usually pretty tender unless the outside "skin" is really thick sometimes.

I like to fill up on the fat and organs to save money, then I have some extra cash to afford some of the nicer cuts of muscle meat when I want. Bison steaks are very tender, but not well marbled. Even the grain fed ones are still lean.

Yeah, they are praised for being "healthier" because they're leaner. I generally respond to that with "yeah, that's why I have fat stocked up to eat with it" just because it really drives people up the wall in confusion. I've only had a bison steak once, and it was a NY. Very lean. I'm not even a fan of regular beef NY steaks ... just too lean for me.

I recently decided to try some grain fed beef steaks raw for the first time. They were just bland and disappointing. Even with all that fat, it was like wet chalk. Normally ribeye and shell steak are two of my favorite grain-fed cooked steaks, but trying them raw just made it clearly obvious how worthless they are. I would take the cheapest toughest cut of grass-fed over that any day, just because it has flavor.

That's not surprising. I remember reading something that GS said "the better meats taste good raw, and the bad ones taste better cooked" referring to grain-fed versus grass-fed..

I like raw wild boar and raw wild moufflon.

What is moufflon, does it taste like lamb/goat? We have wild boar right now. Whenever I first eat it, it tastes like fresh water. Kinda strange. But after a few bites, the fat will start to taste reallyyyy good. I got the belly, too, so it's been very satiating. I'm just trying to make it last. It's been tough affording enough quality meats for two people. Plus feeding a fat herbivore.

Offline Sorentus

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 05:24:40 am »
Having had lamb, beef, pork and wild game, I can see I dislike lamb a lot and wild game is decent but prefer beef but my favorite is pork, it is so good but I avoid them because of their safety and their diet.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 06:24:05 am »
Having had lamb, beef, pork and wild game, I can see I dislike lamb a lot and wild game is decent but prefer beef but my favorite is pork, it is so good but I avoid them because of their safety and their diet.

I've never tried pork because I don't really trust any of my sources. I do like wild boar, have you tried that?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 06:44:49 am »
Yeah, moufflon is sort of a goat by species.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline edmon171

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 07:05:16 am »
Really? I actually find that almost all cuts are pretty tender when raw, it's when you cook them that meats like chuck and shank toughen up (which is why they recommend those for slow cooking). The shank we get is usually pretty tender unless the outside "skin" is really thick sometimes.

Yes, I meant tough as far as raw meat goes, it didn't approach the toughness that cooked meat could get to. It was just hard to cut with a knife and took some effort to chew.

I know its officially poultry, but technically duck is a red meat. I just walked away from my first plate of raw duck breast with the fat on and it was hands down the best thing I ever ate raw. Maybe even the best meat in general.  If you've never had this you should definitely give it a shot. I'm never cooking duck meat again.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 09:32:48 am »
I know its officially poultry, but technically duck is a red meat. I just walked away from my first plate of raw duck breast with the fat on and it was hands down the best thing I ever ate raw. Maybe even the best meat in general.  If you've never had this you should definitely give it a shot. I'm never cooking duck meat again.

And I'm drooling. I already plan on ordering duck meat very, very soon. I imagine how amazing the fat is going to be. I LOVE quail and even really like chicken, so I'm assuming the duck fat is going to be delightful. Okay, I might have to just order my duck right now ....

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 10:16:02 am »
oh nevermind

Offline Sorentus

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 10:58:12 am »
I've never tried pork because I don't really trust any of my sources. I do like wild boar, have you tried that?

Unfortunately not, not sure how I could get my hands on that.

And I'm drooling. I already plan on ordering duck meat very, very soon. I imagine how amazing the fat is going to be. I LOVE quail and even really like chicken, so I'm assuming the duck fat is going to be delightful. Okay, I might have to just order my duck right now ....

I've ate melted duck fat once and got sick from it, it did taste decent though, wasn't raw and I wish it had been, must make a hell of a difference.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 02:34:28 pm »
Unfortunately not, not sure how I could get my hands on that.

There are quite a few websites that offer exotic meats. All of them will have wild boar, and so far all that I've looked at are definitely the truly wild feral swine. So, unless you don't like frozen meat, that's an option. I would rather have frozen meats than be limited to two things for a long time.

I've ate melted duck fat once and got sick from it, it did taste decent though, wasn't raw and I wish it had been, must make a hell of a difference.

I wonder if it was mixed with anything? The times I've had duck, it was all prepared in some sort of Asian fashion. It's always been very good, but VERY fatty. Almsot too oily for me to enjoy, and that's saying a lot. I got my hands on two duck legs today. They are probably grain-fed, but they're at least organic. Just want to make sure I like it before investing in a bulk order online ... and I've had grain-fed chicken with no ill effects and very much enjoyed it.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 02:53:17 pm »
As I was pulling the duck legs from the package, I immediately noticed the fattyness. My hand was completely covered in oil already. There's a major layer of fat under the skin (not sure if this is a grain-fed trait or if most ducks are fatty, I wouldn't know). I cut a piece that had a generous amount of skin and fat along with some meat. Delicious! I'm not sure if I like duck or quail more, but this is better than the chicken I've been eating. The fat is amazing ... there is so much of it, too. I hope I don't eat it all before my boyfriend gets his share - good thing it's not a far drive to get more!

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 01:30:22 am »
I would like to try moufflon, if I got the chance.

Another note regarding lamb, as well as pasture raised meats in general. There are many factors that are involved when it comes to taste.

I eat primarily mutton, and have had many different varieties with a wide range of different flavors. Most of the store bought lamb I have tried was trash compared to some of the animals I have butchered myself. In my opinion the way lambs are raised to be butchered before reaching full size is wasteful and the meat from immature animals is often lacking in the rich fats that make well raised  mutton delicious.

Different varieties of sheep taste vastly different, and even the same breed of sheep raised on a different pasture will also taste differently, so when seeking out the best red meat one must take all these factors into consideration.

Some of the best tasting sheep I have had where the wool varieties... Small shetland, and the larger Romany are two of my favorites. I would look for animals that come from family farmers who have small flocks on lush pastures. I have noticed that many of the people who raise wool sheep will take better care of their animals than those who raise sheep for meat. 
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 01:43:27 am »
I've never really loved lamb, except for the really small "half chops." Not even sure that's the right term. I just don't like that "goat" taste in the meat. That sorta "stale" flavor that goat cheese has. I love goat cheese, though I don't eat dairy, but that stale flavor just doesn't sit right with me when it's in the meat. So, sometimes I'll get the little chops because one package of them is like 8 bites worth, so I don't overdo it, but in general I don't care for lamb. I haven't tried other varieties, though.

Offline edmon171

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 06:55:54 am »
I don't know if I'm thinking of the same thing, but grain fed lamb always tastes a bit fishy to me and has a funny smell. I think it has something to do with the soy in the feed. I read somewhere that the soybeans have this fishy effect on chicken eggs so I'm assuming its the same deal. But grass-fed lamb is always good.

Offline Sorentus

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 08:47:07 am »
I don't know if I'm thinking of the same thing, but grain fed lamb always tastes a bit fishy to me and has a funny smell. I think it has something to do with the soy in the feed. I read somewhere that the soybeans have this fishy effect on chicken eggs so I'm assuming its the same deal. But grass-fed lamb is always good.

Makes sense, I had eggs taste like fish too and the taste was unbearable.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 09:10:36 am »
Ewwww, I'm glad I haven't had any of that. Anything that I've had smell remotely 'fishy' has always been seafood.  ;D And even that is more of a fresh "ocean" smell than fishy.

Offline primalgirl

• Trapper
  • Love Raw Primal/Paleo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 10:13:32 am »
Fresh killed Elk, up in Oregon in the Coastal Range. YUM! Bloody 'n good. Very tender.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 01:24:45 pm »
Fresh killed Elk, up in Oregon in the Coastal Range. YUM! Bloody 'n good. Very tender.

Did you eat it right away, at the scene of the crime? Or did you have to wait?

I recall reading something ... someone said the best thing they had EVER had in their entire life was the meat and fat of a freshly killed turkey. They ate it right there from the body, so it was still body temperature and bloody. I've always wanted to try that. Considering how much I love poultry fat, I think I would give into temptation and rip right into a duck or goose if it was killed in front of me.

Offline colorles

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 11:13:48 pm »
the main thing with me when it comes to eating red meats, is to make sure its room temperature or a bit warmer. unlike with seafood i don't really like it that much when its abnormally cooled

and raw meat, well you can really taste what it ate when it lived, so much more when its raw than when its even lightly cooked (rare). you can taste all the minerals in it, which is a new flavor if all you are used to is the cooked (and thus artificial) flavor of lightly cooked (rare) meat

while i still eat more seafood than anything, i've been really into lamb lately. as i said as long as its room temperature or warmer, that seems to make a big difference for me

"body temperature and bloody", thats the key for enjoying red meats. its not meant to be an anemic experience
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 11:23:51 pm by colorles »

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 03:51:26 am »
the main thing with me when it comes to eating red meats, is to make sure its room temperature or a bit warmer. unlike with seafood i don't really like it that much when its abnormally cooled

I can only assume this is instinctual. When we kill a mammal, the meat will be very warm (body temp), while fish would be cold (cold-blooded). I used to be sensitive to this a lot, but now I prefer everything straight from the fridge.

and raw meat, well you can really taste what it ate when it lived, so much more when its raw than when its even lightly cooked (rare). you can taste all the minerals in it, which is a new flavor if all you are used to is the cooked (and thus artificial) flavor of lightly cooked (rare) meat

I find that most meats taste like their cooked counterparts but some parts are milder while other parts are much bolder. Everything is better raw for me except beef. It's like neutral. It's great when I mix it, but not so much plain, which I know is a bad sign. I can eat any other meat straight plain and go crazy enjoying it. Especially duck, now.

while i still eat more seafood than anything, i've been really into lamb lately. as i said as long as its room temperature or warmer, that seems to make a big difference for me

I wish I could like lamb. That goat cheese flavor doesn't sit right when it's coming from meat. I don't know. My boyfriend has the same issue, so we rarely eat lamb. I think I'll push it more when we have more money to play with.

"body temperature and bloody", thats the key for enjoying red meats. its not meant to be an anemic experience

Maybe for red meat specifically I'll try letting it sit on the counter for a couple of hours.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk