Author Topic: Foods that make you FEEL best?  (Read 12367 times)

Offline fireflysea

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Foods that make you FEEL best?
« on: July 10, 2014, 03:53:47 pm »
I know everyone has different takes on macronutrient ratios and whatnot, but I'd really love to hear aside from how much you like the taste, what foods make you feel your best? I've reintroduced fruit the past two weeks and I find I'm a lot hungrier on a regular basis and tho my weight is the same I feel my body looks fuller. I love eating fruits and vegetables but don't actually feel best eating them I djnt think, though I'm still experimenting. That said, I don't feel satisfied eating just a bit of fish or meat overall. Pretty sure I'm a mixed type when it comes to food/metabolism. That said fruit seems to leave me constantly wanting food. I don't feel well eating lots of fat, vegetables are ok if I eat just one big meal at night but are very bloating and I hate being bloated. Seafood is delicious and I could eat tons but I don't feel satisfied just eating fish.

Foods that seem to leave my feeling energized, positive/uplifted, and overall well right now or when in season:

-fresh oysters
-celery-cucumber-parlsey juice
-dulse seaweed
-sprouted coconut (haven't had this since back when I lived in Australia tho)
-fresh salmon (and some other seafood but choices are limited)
-homemade raw smelt ceviche
-raw acai powder (I don't have it that often but when I do I feel amazing)

Also currently have been eating cucumber, pineapple, fresh figs, occasional stone fruit, blueberries, mature coconut, avocado, watermelon, zucchini, raw cultured vegetables/kraut, fresh coconut water, cold brewed teas, raw green powder with enzymes and probiotics in it, etc.  I tried chicken liver once (but won't be again) and local grass fed/finished ground beef as well.

I can't seem to figure out what I actually feel well eating. I feel better not eating anything other than liquid wiithout much calories, but that's not sustainable and also I get a bit spacey after a long while of not eating. Anyway if love to hear what foods leave YOU feeling your best!  I think it'll be super interesting to see the diversity as well as the similarities. Just for fun! And also if you have any tips on not eating fruit or why it often makes me crave tons of it after 1 piece please chime in!

<3

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Foods that make you FEEL best?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 05:35:02 pm »
I feel well eating lots of grass fed organs, and fruit when local and in season.

Offline fireflysea

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 11:07:55 pm »
Ohh cool, I think that makes sense actually since organs are very nutrient rich foods! So for you it is not specific fruits/types of fruit or animals? Of course for me that changes seasonally and based on my body's needs but at any given time it feels quite specific

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 11:28:18 pm »
I am constantly in a state of experimentation, using two main how-I-feel parameters to guide me:  joint inflammation and blood sugar levels. My parameters might not be the ones that apply to you, but I think it's important to have a personal baseline based on something I can quantify. This wouldn't apply to people who don't experience broad changes when eating different types of foods. And I'm not saying that high blood sugar is the reason that fruits trigger a bad response for you - it could be due to other things that are going on in your body.

I don't feel my best after eating fruits, and I like vegetables when they are fermented. Taste-wise, I don't go for sugary fruits at all because the sweetness hits too hard. Vegetables that appeal to me raw are bitter green leaves like mustard and kale.

I experience being a lot hungrier when I eat fruit or starchy vegetables. Increased "mindless" hunger also occurs when I eat cooked or seasoned food or (God forbid) wheat, rice, corn, etc. By "mindless" I mean that I can and do keep eating even when I know that I'm not hungry anymore.

My mindful taste enjoyment is at its highest when I eat raw, unseasoned meats and seafoods (more meat in the summer, more from the sea in winter). I also enjoy bone marrow, avocados, some nuts, and beef fat on a regular basis. When it comes to vegetables, I try to be the cavewoman, finding random things growing that I nibble on, like when I was a kid and we knew which weeds were tasty. Back then, we could find crabapples and blueberries and eat a few, but it was nothing like buying pounds of fruits at a grocery store.

I can't seem to figure out what I actually feel well eating. I feel better not eating anything other than liquid without much calories, but that's not sustainable and also I get a bit spacey after a long while of not eating.

I was like this - I'd wait to eat in the morning so I could have a few good hours before eating and crashing. I've been eating RPD for over three years now, and I continue to learn things, but for the most part, I know how to eat for good results. I rely a lot on instinctive eating, and I'm not going to get into a debate about this, but at its simplest, instinctive eating is a good guide for me. I use my 5-year old granddaughter's method: sniff, lick, decide... and then pay attention to when the taste is no longer appealing to signal when to stop.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Sorentus

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 06:32:01 am »
VERY ripe bananas like those http://www.healthyvegasvegan.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/bananas-ripe.jpg Have like 10-15 of them mashed like potatoes, taste like sugar banana cream, SO dang sweet.  I wont eat a banana unless it has plenty of brown spots (what most people consider overripe/rotten, which is actually when to fruit taste it's BEST, people are so clueless.

I also LOVEEEEEE mangoes but too pricey to make a meal of it and today I ate a sample of a fruit called pitaya/dragon fruit, OMG i would eat those for the rest of my life but they are like the most expansive thing in the world.

Fresh, thawed beef heart from the DAY, i like it served cool and not room temp and if its longer then a day its disgusting. I also love ground pork but im never getting this again, ground is eaten too fast and leave me with an horrible feeling in my stomach and i dont trust pork from any source.

I also enjoy 12 raw whole eggs in one setting like i had last night, so yummy.

Now if I could get my hand on some wild tuna, salmon, shrimps or oysters to try... I tried lobster once and never again, its about the only thing I would much prefer to eat cooked but I wont eat cooked food so never again.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 06:40:26 am by Sorentus »

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 08:04:35 am »
 Raw milk, cheese, butter, berries, venison, bison, elk, lamb, pork, heritage poltry, varmits, meat n marrow, fat amd organs, aged or warm from sun is best, seafoods, caviar, sun dried fish, in season fruits, melons, dried fruits n berries, greens and herbs, some veggies, roots, seeds...

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 11:48:07 pm »
I don't know how sea vegetables escaped my list, they should be somewhere near the top!  also fresh spring water, and sometimes a little mud or clay or salt.   Most things like roots and herbs feel best eaten infrequently and almost like medicines, even starchy "non herbal" roots, but when he desire arrises. Same with any seeds, must be most natural quality, sprouted and dried, mimicking what would happen to stashes of seeds dropped from plants and left to the sky, sun and soil to process, eaten very infrequently compared to aged animal foods, dairy, green or fruits.

It feels like it's taken almost six or so years to have my food instincts return and to actually be very close to being properly nourished by diet, to establish a healthy gut biome and hormonal functioning and to learn what good really feels like.  That is one of the biggest reliefs After more then 20 years of bein conscious of extremely disordered and destructive eating habits.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 01:48:41 am »
The food I've been lacking for quite some time and when I finally get it... makes me feel best.
The food the fulfills my current CRAVING seems to be that food at that period of time.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Sorentus

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 03:00:17 am »
The food I've been lacking for quite some time and when I finally get it... makes me feel best.
The food the fulfills my current CRAVING seems to be that food at that period of time.

Yup I had this happen a lot, when I was dying for fruits and eating them was the best thing ever then after eating so much and not meat, eating meat was like the juiciest fruit from heaven. I think our body really likes balance and if we over eat the same thing it will tell us enough is enough.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 03:05:33 am »
And yes, if our thoughts about what is good for us take seat long enough, we will create and crave other foods.    the same will happen if we indulge in protein or sugar. 

Offline Greenbalance

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 04:11:18 am »
Jessica - what are your favorite roots, seeds and fruits ?

I enjoy avocados, dates, peaches, raw egg yolks, raw salmon, bone broth (yes cooked), nori and kelp, carrots, parsnips, summer squashes, cucumbers (I love how hydrating they are), garlic, raw goat milk, butter, berries...

Offline fireflysea

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 06:11:59 am »
I am constantly in a state of experimentation, using two main how-I-feel parameters to guide me:  joint inflammation and blood sugar levels. My parameters might not be the ones that apply to you, but I think it's important to have a personal baseline based on something I can quantify. This wouldn't apply to people who don't experience broad changes when eating different types of foods. And I'm not saying that high blood sugar is the reason that fruits trigger a bad response for you - it could be due to other things that are going on in your body.

I don't feel my best after eating fruits, and I like vegetables when they are fermented. Taste-wise, I don't go for sugary fruits at all because the sweetness hits too hard. Vegetables that appeal to me raw are bitter green leaves like mustard and kale.

I experience being a lot hungrier when I eat fruit or starchy vegetables. Increased "mindless" hunger also occurs when I eat cooked or seasoned food or (God forbid) wheat, rice, corn, etc. By "mindless" I mean that I can and do keep eating even when I know that I'm not hungry anymore.

My mindful taste enjoyment is at its highest when I eat raw, unseasoned meats and seafoods (more meat in the summer, more from the sea in winter). I also enjoy bone marrow, avocados, some nuts, and beef fat on a regular basis. When it comes to vegetables, I try to be the cavewoman, finding random things growing that I nibble on, like when I was a kid and we knew which weeds were tasty. Back then, we could find crabapples and blueberries and eat a few, but it was nothing like buying pounds of fruits at a grocery store.

I was like this - I'd wait to eat in the morning so I could have a few good hours before eating and crashing. I've been eating RPD for over three years now, and I continue to learn things, but for the most part, I know how to eat for good results. I rely a lot on instinctive eating, and I'm not going to get into a debate about this, but at its simplest, instinctive eating is a good guide for me. I use my 5-year old granddaughter's method: sniff, lick, decide... and then pay attention to when the taste is no longer appealing to signal when to stop.

I love your response Eveheart! Thank you! I agree about being an instinctive eater and that's how I think of myself as well. I don't label myself "instincto" because I don't fit into all the things are said to define that dietary  regime, but I eat based on what I crave or what most appeals, etc. I feel so funny sometimes because I'll be in the store like every day to pick out what I want to eat. I keep a few things in the fridge of course and some staples around sometimes but otherwise I tend to walk to the store and smell/feel/look at everything in the produce/seafood/meat and then decide haha! I don't always succeed in eating by what will make me feel best, though I always stick to entirely raw. For example, sometimes I crave coconut and eat the mature meat even though I know it gives me digestive discomfort. Same with figs because omg figs are freaking amazing....and pineapple. I find generally the foods I enjoy most change all the time though!

I SO SO SO know that feeling, if I have to do anything during the day or be social later I am often scared to eat because I don't want to swell up or feel bloated and sluggish or spaced out/sick. Fish tends to always be fine though and gives me a mental boost too! However one day I ate a pound of thawed alaskan pink salmon and couldn't think of eating fish again for several days haha. Anyway what did you do to get over this feeling? I find taking strong digestive enzymes definitely helps a lot, but not really enough. And its expensive to take so much all the time.>.< I'd love to hear how you overcame it and if you have any tips!

Offline fireflysea

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 06:47:00 am »
Yup I had this happen a lot, when I was dying for fruits and eating them was the best thing ever then after eating so much and not meat, eating meat was like the juiciest fruit from heaven. I think our body really likes balance and if we over eat the same thing it will tell us enough is enough.

I totally agree with you both! Sometimes alllll I want is fish for a long time and then when I eat it its like the most amazing experience ever. Or when I hadn't eaten fruit in like 3 months, eating my first pineapple was amazing, first figs nearly orgasmic lololol :P

I think in part that is our bodies' way of telling us how important it is to rotate the foods we eat and to have a diet that varies widely across the spectrum of species/kingdoms and colors (and all the biochemical things that come with that!)...and to not become overly reliant on any one food.

Offline fireflysea

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 06:48:42 am »
I don't know how sea vegetables escaped my list, they should be somewhere near the top!  also fresh spring water, and sometimes a little mud or clay or salt.   Most things like roots and herbs feel best eaten infrequently and almost like medicines, even starchy "non herbal" roots, but when he desire arrises. Same with any seeds, must be most natural quality, sprouted and dried, mimicking what would happen to stashes of seeds dropped from plants and left to the sky, sun and soil to process, eaten very infrequently compared to aged animal foods, dairy, green or fruits.

It feels like it's taken almost six or so years to have my food instincts return and to actually be very close to being properly nourished by diet, to establish a healthy gut biome and hormonal functioning and to learn what good really feels like.  That is one of the biggest reliefs After more then 20 years of bein conscious of extremely disordered and destructive eating habits.

OMG Jessica I lovvvvve seaweeds so much! What are your favs? Dulse tops them all for me by far. But I also love wakame, nori, kelp, and others!

Offline fireflysea

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 07:01:38 am »
Its quite fun to read everyone's favorite foods and what works best for them!

Do you all find that amounts of each food makes a big difference in how you react? For example I feel fine eating a few figs when I crave them, but if I eat a pound or two (or 3) of them I want to die, even if they were super ripe and jammy, and even if its spread throughout the day and within a normal caloric intake for the day (i.e. not actually having eaten like too much energy-wise).

I find I look more like full or puffy when eating more fruit/carbs and I prefer looking leaner and skinny. I was really bony/skinny all my life and I'm finally a more normal weight, but at the same time I now realize I actually liked being thin and little and lower body fat. Maybe thats an unhealthy mindset but I feel much better that way as long as it isn't to an extreme I'm sure. Do you all find lower carb is better for leaning out?

My current eats:
-avocados
-DULSE SEAWEED (the combo of avo and dulse with some lemon and whatever else is AMAZING)
-occasional raw sauerkraut
-raw coconut water
-barley grass juice (often with turmeric and lemon and maybe some superfoods and raw green stevia)
-I tried local grass fed ground beef. I realllyyyy don't like the aftertaste of the fat ick ick ick but I couldn't stop eating it (loved it with lemon squeezed over it). Do you all find it seems to speed up your metabolism and help with skin health? I got that sense. And even though it icked me out a bit I keep thinking about buying it again so I will haha!
-Wild sockeye salmon
-Some berries and figs

Recently found some beautiful wild indigo colored berries that are edible! Cannot wait to try them!

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 08:28:53 am »
I SO SO SO know that feeling, if I have to do anything during the day or be social later I am often scared to eat because I don't want to swell up or feel bloated and sluggish or spaced out/sick. Fish tends to always be fine though and gives me a mental boost too! However one day I ate a pound of thawed alaskan pink salmon and couldn't think of eating fish again for several days haha. Anyway what did you do to get over this feeling? I find taking strong digestive enzymes definitely helps a lot, but not really enough. And its expensive to take so much all the time.>.< I'd love to hear how you overcame it and if you have any tips!

None of my RPD foods make me feel bloated, and everything digests smoothly. I eat very moderately - never large amounts of anything at one time, and about 1/2 pound of meat per day in two meals. A pound of salmon would be too much for me at once, but I think I'd be tired of it way before I reached my limit. That might be the cause of your problem, but who knows. It takes repeated trial and error to form reliable conclusions about these matters, and there are others in this forum who eat one huge meal per day without incident.

I almost never season my food. I think it's important to let your body figure out how to digest each food, and this digestion begins with the taste and smell of each food. Also, seasoning can lead to overeating, not knowing when to stop. For example, I could eat a huge salad with tantalizing salad dressing, but I wouldn't want to eat an equally large amount of unseasoned leaves.

My daughter is a cooked paleo person. I have tried her food, but I usually get indigestion afterwards. I don't think that cooking is the primary problem, I think that her recipes contain too many varied ingredients for my digestive system to handle. Mono-eating (one food at a time, then wait a while before another food) might be a good thing to try. I don't always do mono-eating, but I don't eat recipes-full of food, either.

I don't use digestive enzymes because I have no reason to think that my body doesn't have enough. Also, digestive enzyme formulas have different enzymes for each macronutrient, and I don't eat all three food groups at once.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 05:29:06 pm »
My favorite food right now is cabbage - it's so sweet, crunchy and juicy :-)
My teeth work excellently to cut and crush creating a sawdust size that is easy to swallow. I can eat a decent amount and its mostly going to disappear as high quality plant blood being turned to water.
Parsnip, bok choy & broccoli stems and yams also very yummy. Not so bothered with greens as they are too tough and not very tasty.
Also feels very excellent going to the toilet regularly and easily :-)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 08:34:10 pm »
I feel best after eating raw scallops, raw wild hare carcasses and raw swordfish.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline fireflysea

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 01:48:36 pm »
Today its been grass fed beef and avocado! Something about the beef is like super brain fuelllll

oh and RED REISHI

Tomorrow I'm thinking of trying grass fed lamb for the first time! eeeeeeek

Offline RawpaleoHealthdiet

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2015, 08:16:00 am »
FRESH Oysters.

FRESH foods actually get you High.

Just like the High Meat we know of. Its Alive and breaths because of the bacteria.
Twitter.com/healthdiets

My blog
http://freedomforcreation.posterous.com/

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2015, 08:24:53 pm »
Bone marrow.

Purslane.

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2015, 08:00:22 pm »
Raw lambs testicles

Fish head smoothie

high heart

oysters

raw seafood

raw organs

wild herbs and berries picked and eaten in the wild

in that order :)

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2015, 08:01:48 pm »
and of course, sometimes I crave raw meat and raw egg yolks, raw nuts etc and then they will make me feel the best, like stated above :)

Offline littleElefant

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 05:32:13 am »
Raw fish and shellfish, onions, raw liver and kidneys, fresh sea weed, ginger and garlic with meet and fish, greens, tomatoes, beef fat, bone marrow, raw butter, often some apple cider vinagre with my fish, blended juice out of gras or tree leaves

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk