Author Topic: World’s first (allegedly) Paleo restaurant?  (Read 11864 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
World’s first (allegedly) Paleo restaurant?
« on: August 06, 2010, 11:27:32 am »
Calistro California Bistro introduces Paleolithic menu
http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/dining/articles/2010/08/05/20100805calistro-california-bistro-paleolithic-menu.html
"Some chefs try to predict future trends for their cooking inspiration. Calistro California Bistro chef-owner Devin Walsh is looking back. By about 2.5 million years.
…."

[However, menu items like gluten-free tortillas is what I refer to as “fake Paleo” or “fooling-yourself Paleo”—the sorts of foods people eat when they refuse to give up modern foods but fool themselves into thinking they’re still doing Paleo. They’re the sort of crap that dominated the Paleofood forum in the early days until most folks discovered they still had cravings if they ate them and felt a hell of a lot better if they gave them up.]
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline sven

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: World’s first (allegedly) Paleo restaurant?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 02:23:09 pm »
Wish there was a real Paleo Restaurant

Offline Alan

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 03:08:50 am »
@paleophil

your hormones don't care what cavemen ate....they only care about the nutrient profile of what went into your stomach, no matter how recently-in-history that food came to exist.

paleolithic dudes didn't make blog entries, therefor you should get off this website and only use cave drawings to pass information to others.

see the point?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 05:41:20 am »
Alan, I think you may have read more into my post than I intended, because I have never advocated for eating something solely because cavemen ate it, or for not using any technology. Plus, my intention was to give props to the restaurant for trying, in addition to noting the downsides. I don't see everything as pure good and evil--I see the greys in-between as well and try to honestly and as objectively as possible note both the good and bad aspects of things. My approach is similar to that of Lex and Michael--which means in part, no dogma.

Would you please explain what you're advocating with "nutrient profile". What is your approach?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 05:48:56 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 01:16:58 pm »
@paleophil

your hormones don't care what cavemen ate....they only care about the nutrient profile of what went into your stomach, no matter how recently-in-history that food came to exist.

paleolithic dudes didn't make blog entries, therefor you should get off this website and only use cave drawings to pass information to others.

see the point?
I agree with what your saying but PaleoPhil wasn't trying to say this new restaurant is a bad thing. Not to mention that as people who follow a paleo diet we should generally agree that grains are in general bad?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Alan

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 03:44:38 am »
i admire the thinking of Dr Kurt G. Harris on his blog    www.paleonu.com         It seems to be purely science-based and....   he doesn't sell anything.

i go beyond him in that i now have (99%) stopped eating plant matter

i have no comments about the restaurant; i'm sure the operator is a nice guy.

i would note that restaurants are not supermarkets; they need a basis for marking-up the food.  If the food is non-cooked, well,  i guess you (the restaraunteur) are charging for setting out individualized servings, for the use of the table in a retail mall, and for cleaning up afterwards.

sounds like a slim figleaf for making a profit with....

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 05:07:21 am »
OK, my own thinking is similar to PaleoNu, so your and my views are probably similar and I don't fit the semi-understandable stereotype you had apparently developed about Paleo dieters. The differences in my diet vs. PaleoNu that I'm aware of are that I don't eat dairy (although the last step of PaleoNu is to eliminate dairy, which Tyler failed to mention, so that's not a big difference), I eat 95-98% raw, whereas Dr. Harris lightly sears his steaks, I currently only eat probably 2-4% carbs/day vs. Dr. Harris' 5-8%, I don't eat nightshades or green beans, and I don't think I do quite as much cheating (Dr. Harris apparently currently frequently eats some rice cereal and occasionally eats chocolate bars, though I'm not sure about this). So the differences are rather small, in my view. Please correct me if I got anything wrong.

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 11:23:50 pm »
Quote from: PaleoPhil
However, menu items like gluten-free tortillas is what I refer to as “fake Paleo” or “fooling-yourself Paleo”—the sorts of foods people eat when they refuse to give up modern foods but fool themselves into thinking they’re still doing Paleo.

It is a start. :)

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 11:54:11 pm »
I was thinking a place like NYC or LA could probably support a paleolithic restaurant. I envision meat and veggies cooked with simple sauces, lots of variations of stew with bones in it and all that. Desert would be tough, you could use some fruit and honey and nuts to get some decent things. And you could serve raw dishes like the Korean yook hwe and sashimi cuts for the raw paleo customers.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 07:23:01 am »
Generally I am not a big fan of restaurants, because I travel a lot and they all serve sugar/salt coated crap that was cooked anywhere from this morning to a year ago and "Um one Coke over the line line sweet Jesus..."  ;D

I like the idea of the raw restaurant though, because it's nice to try something different tasting. Is that the guy that does the video for the Green Star Juicer?

Since going raw my GF likes the extra few hours a day not cooking and I like that she isn't looking to go to an expensive and as I have described above, garbage dispenser.
Cheers
Al

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 11:14:19 am »
Yes, brother it's a start (if a somewhat disappointing start). I meant to recognize that start by reporting about the restaurant, but I see now I should have specified that more clearly. I don't expect perfection, but it would be nice if they mentioned at least one or two dishes that are truly Paleo.

Offline the PresiDenT

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 01:16:01 pm »
Wish there was a real Paleo Restaurant
There are some ALL over the place. They are called high class country clubs. My family is members at one in London Called the Hunt Club. All food is local organic, roast beef/meet grassfed/organic and you can get it raw.(in ontario we have a limit on organs you can eat though). But ya, check it out, maybe you have one too
The price is wrong Bob

Offline FRANCIS HOWARD BOND

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 02:55:41 am »
(New topic?)

WANTED:
BUTCHERS AND FISHMONGERS WITH TASTE FOR ADVENTURE!

Small room or partitioned area at back of shop with tables so we can sample their food the way we like it!
Service charge to cover costs, perhaps non alcoholic drinks also available.   Raw sandwiches to take away, even raw Fish and Chips wrapped in paper.   Since they supply raw materials, possibilities are endless: “More blood with your steak, or fresh prawns with your Cod?”

Individual liability disclaimer letters, such as I use successfully for eating raw at establishments, might be needed.   A lot better than pestering restaurants who usually insist on cooking food anyway!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk