Author Topic: freezing or aging in the fridge  (Read 4100 times)

Offline littleElefant

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
freezing or aging in the fridge
« on: September 25, 2014, 12:27:47 am »
Hey folks,

I know this question came up here quite a lot. But still I'm not sure about it.
The thing is, often when I go to the butchers I buy way to much because all looks so good and then at home I see that it is too much to eat in one week or so (I like my meet very fresh) Then I start eating always to much because I don't want to throw it away and then I feel bad. Today I bought a big calf kidney, one whole calf spleen, 3 calf brains, 2 kg backfat, lots of bones with bone marrow, 2 lamb hearts, 6 Mackerel, till have a lot of lamb liver and wild rabbit in my fridge, uhhh that's so much and it was quite expensive. I already put some of the spleen in the freezer but often I don't like the frozen meet and fat. And it feels different. How long you gard meet and organs in the fridge? How long stays brain fresh in the fridge ? And kidney? What is worse; freezing or the  oxidation in the fridge?
By the way it was my first brain; strange thing but it tastes interesting, will eat always a bit to get used to it :)

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: freezing or aging in the fridge
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 12:50:52 am »
try to set up your fridge so you can hang it,,, will last for a month.  Brain tends to go off for me in a much shorter time.   With fat, it's a different story.  It will oxidize, and I'm lucky enough to get shipments every couple of weeks.   They come in vacuum sealed bags which I open just before using.   I used to try opening them all and hanging too, but I think they oxidize and develop an unpleasant taste in the mouth. 

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 02:07:22 am »
I don't ever plan on storing any offal pieces, so I eat those the week I buy them. Same for fish - I don't like the flavor when it starts drying. If you leave the parts open to air in the fridge, you can taste your hanging parts to find out if and when the flavor seems right to you. I don't use my freezer much at all.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline littleElefant

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 02:45:57 am »
that's interesting, Van . Beef fat changes the taste for  me after ap. 1 week, so this time I put in in glas jars to keep it less exposed to air, do you think it will keep longer? Don't want to make 'high fat -d' so I will let the lid a bit open. Or should I vacuseel it, I have such a maschine somewhere. If not I"ll have to freeze it and to finally learn not to shop like a bulimic -v
I'm still in this cycle buying to much, eating to much, feeling very bad, making myself sick, strange I know :P
So brain will keep max 1 week I guess?

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 03:44:35 am »
Please try the vacuum machine for me. I'd love to know the results.   With brain, I put it in a colander with holes, and flip it over each day in the fridge.   When I don't like the smell of something, I respect that input and follow accordingly.    I think the fat in glass jars won't work due to the fact that there's enough air inside to oxidize and cause rancidity.  But,, I haven't tried it.    You might cut in chances and press into a jar expelling as much air as you can.  But again, I like the vacuum sealing machine idea.  for I've thought of buying one just for that reason.   

Offline littleElefant

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 05:14:14 pm »
Just looking for my vacuum maschine, it is hiding somewhere >D
Tell me, Van, where do you live, I would love to meet you and watch you a bit :)

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 12:11:08 am »
I live in Northern Ca.,, probably a little far from you, as I don't remember what country the flag in your profile is from.    I imagine 'watch you' means observing me in the kitchen?

Offline littleElefant

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 03:32:54 am »
Ufff, that 's far away. I'm living in the south of France. It is lovely here, you should come for a visit :)
Yes; I meant watching you in the kitchen etc

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk