Author Topic: No Cream on Raw Milk?  (Read 3081 times)

Offline dranged

• Forager
    • View Profile
No Cream on Raw Milk?
« on: October 04, 2014, 03:38:17 am »
I came to Italy several days ago, buying raw milk for the first time from two different farms (one from the actual farm and second from a vending machine), & despite what I saw before online that it should be creamy and even have a thick creamy line floating in the top, there is not cream in it, and the texture isn't so creamy or fatty as described. Is there a reason for raw milk to not have those creamy properties, and if so then what are they? Could it be that they take the cream off to use for making cheese? (the farm sell their own self-made cheese).

Quite disappointed as I was waiting to taste this creamy milk people tend to talk about being so very different from the junk sold on supermarkets. While it is definitely better and different from that, still I feel there's something not quite right, that either they're doing something to the milk, or... I dunno.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: No Cream on Raw Milk?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 04:54:50 am »
could be homogenized, or they would take off the cream for creams sake.   Ask them.

Offline dranged

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 02:02:03 pm »
They don't know a single word in English, likewise in my case towards Italian, haha. It is a long way to get there and so I bought 6L to last for couple of days. I'll try ask them somehow when I go back. Just wanted to know meanwhile what could be the reasons. I'm pretty certain it's not treated, though. Raw Milk aka Latte Crudo is very famous here in Italy, and lot of farms advertise their milk under that label for those looking for it. Hell, you even have it in vending machines, lol. Should, lets say, the quality of the cows, the milk being non-organic for instance, effect the milk to lose its cream? And assuming they do remove the cream, why should they, especially if it's as you said for cream's sake?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 02:13:58 pm »
And assuming they do remove the cream, why should they, especially if it's as you said for cream's sake?

Cream is used for butter, cream cheeses, etc. I know you knew that, but we usually don't think about how it gets processed - milk comes out of cow, a bit of the cream is left in the milk for sale as whole milk, next all the leftover cream goes on to make other products.The percentage of cream that's in milk varies. In the US, milk is available as 0% fat (nonfat), 2%, and 4%. Those percentages vary all over the world. Maybe you can learn more from a local person who speaks English.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk