Author Topic: Some one please explain me this 'Why You Might Want to Rethink Going Gluten-Free  (Read 2406 times)

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
I am very confused that some people is believing that gluten is good for our health...? That is total nuts! Here is the topic : http://gizmodo.com/why-you-might-want-to-rethink-going-gluten-free-1475646469
bugs or country chickens

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
I can see why you are asking about this article, Raw. The whole time I was reading it, I found it hard to pinpoint the author's point of view - was he for or against eating gluten?

First of all, the article is run on the Gizmodo blog, which has its own history of "attention-grabbing" articles. However, this gluten article is not an attention grabber.

The article itself correctly discusses clinical gluten intolerances, including symptoms

The curious part of the article is Tarantola's claim that "for a lot of people, the gluten-free lifestyle may do more harm than good." His reasons are (1) gluten-free processed foods often substitute more fat and sugar; (2) many people assume gluten-intolerance without getting a doctor's diagnosis, which includes a blood test and intestinal biopsy; and (3) claims for gluten-free benefits are considered exaggerated.

Tarantola's sources for the article all seem to be mainstream-medical celiac authorities, so I would say that the opinions are what the medical establishment wants us to believe.

I am a self-diagnosed gluten sensitive person. I was raised on wheat as a daily staple. As a child, I suffered from rashes and bowel problems. I discovered my own gluten intolerance when I went to college (in the 1960s) because my then-fiance's roommate was from Hawaii and ate rice instead of wheat, and I ate at their house often enough to discover that my symptoms appeared only when I did eat wheat. Nobody said "celiac" in those days, but I read the works of J. I. Rodale, who was a staunch anti-wheat crusader.

As to why this article was written, I think that Mr. Tarantola needed an article because it's his job to write articles, and he just happened to pick gluten for his topic this time.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk