Author Topic: Farming of the future?  (Read 5049 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Farming of the future?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 07:17:34 am »
When I started reading this article, I thought, "Ho-hum, it's just another hydroponics farm." But then, the really important implication of this article struck me: It's the bacteria/insect/fungus-free environment on this farm that is the shocker!

No more sauerkraut! - It's dependent on surface bacteria to ferment.
No more birds! - So many need to eat insects.
No more athlete's foot! - okay, okay, J/K. But seriously, in a soil-free environment, fungus' role in decomposition is redundant.

Sure, this would never happen on a large scale, where there would be a lot of environmental impact. But still, projects like this can take hold while minimizing big-impact problems that lie ahead.

"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Brad462

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 07:28:24 am »
Is this future before or after the nuclear war?  Sorry, I am a glass half-full kind of guy.  :)
I'm actually a really nice guy, once you get to blow me.

— Anthony Jeselnik

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 08:22:06 am »
Might be good for space exploration.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 08:23:07 am »
Is this future before or after the nuclear war?  Sorry, I am a glass half-full kind of guy.  :)
I would expect  that a nuclear war would concentrate nuclear blasts on the cities leaving the wild areas free if a little contaminated. So we might, in the countryside, encounter a few oddly-shaped leaves or the occasional wildlife with two heads or three legs but otherwise things would be fine.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 08:31:58 am »
Might be good for space exploration.
I wonder if eating raw meat might help alleviate some of the health problems that astronauts experience routinely in space?
" Ron Paul.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 08:32:31 am »
I would expect  that a nuclear war would concentrate nuclear blasts on the cities leaving the wild areas free if a little contaminated.

Exactly. This farming model is more suited for overcrowding, not a decimated population. The main advantage is in terms of possible length of food storage without decomposition. In post-nuclear  times or in space exploration, simple light-and-nutrient hydroponics would do.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
  • It's french for "Cockerel"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 01:19:10 am »
I wonder if eating raw meat might help alleviate some of the health problems that astronauts experience routinely in space?
If you're talking about bone decalcification, an unavoidable consequence of working for long in microgravity, then the answer is  raw meat diet probably has little impact on this issue. In this situation the body is just automatically switching its functioning and "adapting" to the fact that bone mass is not needed in space. At least that's what I understood.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 01:25:01 am by JeuneKoq »

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 12:57:31 am »
I hate the ignorance of which some of these news outlets publish their reports. Only I am allowed to be so ignorant! They write this almost as if hydroponics wasn't already a thing, like no body has already been doing this. Plenty of places like this in America. I guess their not all completely sterile but I think a lot of them are. The good ones use diluted ocean water.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk