Author Topic: Blood Type Diet  (Read 15925 times)

Offline JaredBond

• Egg Thief
  • Crap, my real email is blueyoshi55@hotmail.com.
    • View Profile
Re: Blood Type Diet
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2009, 09:27:07 pm »
I really liked the idea of the blood type diet when I first read D'Amado's book.  As with the low-carb theory, it seems correct because it's so simple and elegant.  But to quote Thomas Henry Huxley, "The great tragedy of Science is the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact".  Apparently the whole evolution of blood types idea that he presents is not as grounded as he makes it out to be, although he seems to have extensive referencing.  As of now, I trust the Weston A. Price Foundation, and they wrote their position here: http://www.westonaprice.org/bookreviews/eat_right.html.  Here's a quote:

"D'Adamo bases his theories on the assumption that early man had Type O blood, and that the A, B, and AB bloodtypes came long after. He claims that these later bloodtypes are genetically predisposed towards grains and milk products, foods that came in with agriculture and the domestication of animals, while Type Os are natural meat eaters. The evidence is less than convincing. Anthropologists can point to evidence that all four blood types existed back in the hunter/gatherer Paleolithic era, a fact that deflates Dr. D'Adamo's entire theoretical structure."

(Of course, the only link they reference to that statement is an email from someone.  I'd like to know for sure.)

Also, I'm glad someone else pointed out that D'Amado has changed his position a bit, with his new "Genotype diet", which, although still incorporating blood types, does a complete flip-flop for some people following the previous diet.  I briefly checked his site, dadamo.com, and apparently he thinks people should follow one or the other, depending one whether they want to avoid diseases or lose weight (http://www.dadamo.com/which_diet_is_right.htm).  I think that's bull.  I think true health is the way to do both.  D'Adamo's ambiguity makes for huge points against his credibility.

However, he has a clinic where he's supposedly helped a ton of people, and also the people who've read his books.  There could be some truth to this blood type thing, or even the body type thing, as with the "genotype" diet (although people's bodies, as shown by Weston Price, can deviate quite a bit from their genetic potential if malnourished while growing).  However, as the WAPF article points out, "all four diets eliminate chips, candy, donuts, cinnamon rolls and other junk foods comprised of sugar, wheat, salt, hydrogenated fats, and other known health destroyers. For Americans on the Standard American diet (SAD), adoption of any of the four diets would represent a considerable improvement."  The very act of being forced to make one's own food, and leaving out the common irritants like grain and dairy out of most followers' diets, could account for all the benefits.

There probably has been some genetic adaption to agriculture.  Obviously, when primitive peoples switched over to the "white man's" food, they got hit harder than any white man did.  And still today, people with indigenous blood tend to be more prone to diabetes and being overweight, just from my own observation.  But that doesn't mean that raw animal foods are not still the best diet for everyone.  Obviously, we are all still the same species, and we still have the same carnivore gut that has been functioning for perhaps millions of years.  Our appendix and caecums, used in herbivores for digesting cellulose, are still next to nothing.  Someone also mentioned that idea about the Asians having larger pancreases, because of eating rice for so long.  If that's true, maybe that would be evidence of somewhat adapting to carbs.  But also keep in mind that Asians are generally shorter in stature, and come from a region with a long history of oppression, slavery, and malnourishment.

P.S.  What's with SuperInfinity??  Raw Kyle wasn't even disagreeing with him, and he just snapped.

Offline SuperInfinity

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2009, 10:55:03 pm »

P.S.  What's with SuperInfinity??  Raw Kyle wasn't even disagreeing with him, and he just snapped.

You just gave a very good detailed description of it giving both sides of it. RawKyle wasn't. I didn't snap, I still think he was talking out of his ass in those first answers just because he didn't like the idea.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2009, 11:16:02 pm »
...Also, I'm glad someone else pointed out that D'Amado has changed his position a bit, with his new "Genotype diet", which, although still incorporating blood types, does a complete flip-flop for some people following the previous diet.  I briefly checked his site, dadamo.com, and apparently he thinks people should follow one or the other, depending one whether they want to avoid diseases or lose weight (http://www.dadamo.com/which_diet_is_right.htm).  I think that's bull.  I think true health is the way to do both.  D'Adamo's ambiguity makes for huge points against his credibility.
Heh, I agree. It's a lame excuse. Maybe it has more to do with money than with that excuse. I haven't researched it, but my guess would be that the Genotype Diet is his response to his critics who, like WAPF, point out that all blood types were present during the Stone Age (and they are apparently all present in chimps as well, according to one critique I read some time ago), and that he continues to say that the Blood Type Diet is good for some people so he won't lose the customers who still want to follow it.

However, he has a clinic where he's supposedly helped a ton of people, and also the people who've read his books. .... The very act of being forced to make one's own food, and leaving out the common irritants like grain and dairy out of most followers' diets, could account for all the benefits. ... There probably has been some genetic adaption to agriculture.
Yup, I agree again on all these points. There is interesting correlation between geographic distribution of blood types, of populations with agrarian vs. hunter-gatherer ancestry (what I think D'Adamo terms "migration patterns"), and of rates of diseases of civilization like celiac disease (though the patterns for the latter are less clear with more recent data). It's an area in need of more research.

The overall amount of adaptation to agrarian foods doesn't seem to be enough in any population to avoid diseases of civilization, so I agree that there's a good chance that RPD is still superior to the agrarian diet for all populations--for partially adapted is not the same as optimal. For example, Scandinavians have been eating dairy the longest and the most and yet reportedly have the highest rates of osteoporosis in the world (there are counterpoints like lack of sunlight, but Price didn't seem to find rampant dental or bone problems among the Indians of the Arctic).

Our appendix and caecums, used in herbivores for digesting cellulose, are still next to nothing.
Yes, and a different function has been postulated for the appendix in humans--as a backup storehouse of healthy gut bacteria in case the ones in the gut die off.

Someone also mentioned that idea about the Asians having larger pancreases, because of eating rice for so long.  If that's true, maybe that would be evidence of somewhat adapting to carbs.  But also keep in mind that Asians are generally shorter in stature, and come from a region with a long history of oppression, slavery, and malnourishment.
Yes, Asians still get vitamin A deficiency, nearsightedness, and even blindness when they eat too much rice, and not all Asians eat lots of rice. For example, I know someone from northern China where she says people rarely eat rice but do drink cow's milk--my guess is that they are descended from pastoralist peoples instead of crop-agrarians, based on her claim and my knowledge of the history of the area.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Haida

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2009, 04:36:40 am »
Well, thank you all for your input. I am glad I posted the discussion. There is aLOT about D'Amado's Blood Type Diet that I do not  believe to be accurate. But it was wonderful for me finding that I am an O type. As of now, the most healthful diet I have found, is raw paleo. It is also the most difficult for me because of lack of recipes for the family. I do also enjoy Weston Price's work, and that of Bernard Jensen.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2009, 06:04:38 am »
Yes, the type O diet is D'Adamo's best contribution so far, and better than most of the recommended diets out there that used a more scientific approach. A lot of the diet gurus get part of the picture right. So far I don't see anyone who gets the whole picture right, not even in the latest Paleo-type diet book I bought that was published in 2008.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk