Author Topic: Any thing wrong with drinking water from a lake/river/stream etc  (Read 4779 times)

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Assuming there's no nuclear waste or wotever dumped into it, is it safe to drink water from a lake/river/stream etc?
I was always told that in order to make it safe it had to be boiled or iodine tablets had to be added to kill bacteria and parasites etc, but now that I know that the germ theory is probably a load of bs I began to wonder...
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Any thing wrong with drinking water from a lake/river/stream etc
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 09:03:55 am »
It would be my last choice.  I'd boil it first to be sure.

My first choice would be fresh mountain spring water.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 10:01:45 am »
I drink from local rivers and streams here in the mountains of rural northwest North Carolina and southwest Virginia all the time when hiking.  Of course, there's basically nothing but hundreds of square miles of wilderness upstream from me here.  You need to be careful about what's upstream, but, in general, if fish can live in it, and it's a very rural area, you're probably safe.

This doesn't apply in most of the 3rd world.  Many of those areas have Giardia and other highly unpleasant bacteria, and you do not want a case of dystentery while travelling.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 10:27:59 am »
Well first how long have you been on a raw paleo diet, as it takes a while to fully rebuild your immune system. Second just because its a spring doesn't mean its clean. Many springs can be full of garbage and toxic waste.
If you want to find a spring near you here is Daniel Vitalis's website.
http://www.findaspring.com/
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 12:59:18 pm »
Daniel is great!
That is an awesome use of Google Maps.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 02:12:42 pm »
I don't get it, we can eat shit and rotten meat and get healthier. But drink from rivers, streams and stagnant ponds make us ill?

Are you guys sure isn't it just high water?
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 02:37:31 pm »
Daniel is great!
That is an awesome use of Google Maps.

Couldn't agree more, hes awesome.

I don't get it, we can eat shit and rotten meat and get healthier. But drink from rivers, streams and stagnant ponds make us ill?

Are you guys sure isn't it just high water?
I think its just the magnitude that humans have degregaded the water to the point that it contains poisons, toxins and bacteria/parasites that would not naturally be present in water.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk