Author Topic: How much do you guys spend a month on food?  (Read 22387 times)

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Re: How much do you guys spend a month on food?
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2013, 08:23:19 pm »
How many carbs do you guys eat a day.

I'd estimate somewhere between 0 and 75g on a typical day
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline 24isours

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2013, 08:59:23 pm »
How many carbs do you guys eat a day. For the past month I've only had a teaspoon of honey, 1-3 pieces of fruit, and the occasional couple of teaspoons of jam or almond butter. I don't think that puts Mr over 100 g at the worst, usually it wasn't that high. For the past 3 days I've been Vlc with today being one teaspoon of honey with my fat. I feel really good after tonights meal: 5 oz suet, 4 oz salmon, 4 oz liver, little honey. I think I'm in ketosis. What do you guys think?

I eat about 1g per day. If you've only been eating 5 oz suet, 4 oz salmon, 4 oz liver, little honey for the past few days you are well on your way. You are most likely in the adaption stage.
3 Years on a Strictly Raw Ketogenic Carnivorous Diet.
*Currently still on a Ketogenic diet but have now incorporated raw vegetables.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2013, 09:09:36 pm »
I kinda feel late in the adaptation stage. Because I've been off adderall for 4 days now and coffee for about 12 I think, and I remember making a conscious decision to severely for carbs when I cut coffee so I didn't have to deal with the constant up and down of blood sugar. I don't know if adderall prevents ketosis but I stopped because I was eating so good that it made me feel worse rather than better.

I guess when I'm keto I'll know right?
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline 24isours

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2013, 09:32:26 pm »
I kinda feel late in the adaptation stage. Because I've been off adderall for 4 days now and coffee for about 12 I think, and I remember making a conscious decision to severely for carbs when I cut coffee so I didn't have to deal with the constant up and down of blood sugar. I don't know if adderall prevents ketosis but I stopped because I was eating so good that it made me feel worse rather than better.

I guess when I'm keto I'll know right?

Yes, you will know. A good indicator of being in ketosis would be a sudden loss of 4+ pounds in a week. This would be due to glycogen and water loss. If I change my diet to a carb based one I gain about 8 lbs in 3 days (water weight for the most part). After switching back to a keto diet after those 3 days it takes me about 5 days to drop these 8 lbs. Good for you for dropping the Adderall and coffee! You shouldn't need either one on a ketogenic diet anyway :)

Offline 24isours

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2013, 09:45:47 pm »
I'd say those symptoms as well as weight loss (if you are overweight and restricting calories) would be signs. I've noticed after eating too much protein I'd get headaches, joint pain, diarrhea and feel fatigued. After experimenting with protein intake and finding that sweet spot I would notice higher energy, increased stamina/strength, mental clarity, normal bowel movements and an increased tolerance to stress.

Just wanted to make it clear that an initial weight loss of 4+ lbs in a week (water and glycogen loss) is also a great indicator of being in ketosis; whether or not you are restricting calories.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2013, 01:56:28 am »
How much I spend monthly for food ? I don't know... because it varies widely according to the season, what is available at the time and my appetite. I do not count. But overall, I think I don't spend more than when I ate cooked food and probably less if everything is taken into account.

By the way, I live now in Algarve west coast, Portugal. Just moved on the 15th of June, so I've been busy and without Internet connection for a few weeks. 
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Aura

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2013, 08:56:27 am »
I mean, I am butchering meat and organs for the dogs here and found out the butcher does not charge us a cent..
Whenever they slaughter an animal, he would put aside (for our dogs) organs and other parts people do not usually buy.
Organs like liver, heart, kidneys sometimes tongue also.
And it is all grass fed. Once I got the whole trachea and it was full of pieces of grass inside.

As I realized it, I thought about you guys.

Is there someone who managed to get meat/organs for free saying it was for the dogs?

Because here, you could live pretty cheap.  l)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2013, 10:22:05 am »
I used to be able to get raw, organic grassfed liver for free.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline primalgirl

• Trapper
  • Love Raw Primal/Paleo
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2013, 04:09:48 am »
I eat the same thing every day:

200 grams of grass fed ground beef (mixed with organs) @ around 16-17% fat
200 grams of grass fed regular ground beef @ around 16-17% fat
190 grams of grass fed fat trimmings / back fat
I do not eat suet

I want to eat more fat (besides raw butter and raw cream) what is the difference between back fat and suet? and how do you eat it? I see you're eating much more fat than protein yet the mixture above is 16-17% fat mixed in with meat.

Offline primalgirl

• Trapper
  • Love Raw Primal/Paleo
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2013, 04:52:13 am »
I want to eat more fat (besides raw butter and raw cream) what is the difference between back fat and suet? and how do you eat it? I see you're eating much more fat than protein yet the mixture above is 16-17% fat mixed in with meat.
I meant how do you prepare it for eating, the 83-84% fat that is not mixed in with the meat.

Offline 24isours

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2013, 05:58:34 am »
I prefer fat trimmings and back fat over suet. When I first started the diet I wasn't able to digest suet well so I switched over and wound up just staying away from it. Personally, I find suet to be dry and way less tastier than other fatty parts of the animal as well. The only preparing I do is thawing it in the fridge and then slicing it in chunks before eating.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2013, 07:43:03 am »
I usually cube grassfed beef back fat and eat it. I savor the taste and texture.

P.S. I'm in San Jose.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2013, 05:27:27 am »
(I call it the "lesbian seafood truck" ROFL)
Really, so they are from the island of Lesbos ? ;)

I am told we budget 700 - 750 CAND.

We plan to buy bulk and we are still finding sources, so it should come down in price.

Also we are getting 2 -3 chickens and bees (2 hives) in a few weeks.

We have cherry, peach, fig, raspberries, prune plum, apple and pear trees.
Cheers
Al

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2013, 05:41:38 am »
I also like the beef fat from muscle meat trimmings. I don't like suet. I think eating beef fat instead of butter significantly brings down the cost of food. I've seen butter selling for $10+/lb, and I pay about $3/lb (includes shipping) for beef fat. I assume both have about the same fat content.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2013, 06:20:53 am »
I haven't bought anything from Slankers in over a year so recently I looked at their prices and they are way above from what they used to be.  What gives?

Fortunately, I'm getting half a steer every 6 months from Amish for 3.7/lb , and maybe a sheep now and then .  But kind of short on organs.  Burgundy beef has decent prices but their shipping bites.

Anyone got better sources online?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk