Author Topic: best single vegetable to add to a carnivore diet?  (Read 18945 times)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: best single vegetable to add to a carnivore diet?
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2010, 12:24:20 am »
we are slowwwwlllllyyyyy becomeing carn evolutionary speaking.

were*. We started moving towards carnivory and then froze, if anything.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2010, 05:45:24 am »
I also don't see how we are "slowly" heading towards carnivory evolution-wise as a whole. Please explain or give evidence.
Unless edible plant foods become extinct we will always be omnivorous as majority.
Besides, omnivory favors survival and humans lean towards survival, its key for our survival and may be crucial at certain points.

Honestly I laugh when some ZC folks start freaking out when they don't have enough fat or some meat and they are hungry.
When I have nothing I have some potato, roots, salad, nuts or fruits and I am a happy camper.
Obviously I don't like to go without meat for long, but when I need to I am soooo glad I can and still feel pretty good.
I would hate to be like a cat and then I have to be obsessed with having animal foods at hand all the time, being omnivorous makes my life easy and thats what I prefer.

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 10:13:43 am »
Animal food is easy to get at too:

Fishing is easy to do.
Gathering shells on the seashore is easy to do.
Setting up animal traps in the forest is easy to do, some forest people gave us a seminar.
Getting wild honey is easy too.
During war time my father in law remembers eating beetles, crickets and frogs in the mountains.

Won't all the bees sting you when you try to get at the wild honey?

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2010, 06:13:35 pm »
Won't all the bees sting you when you try to get at the wild honey?

Not if you know how to do it right. There's videos on youtube of native peoples collecting honey easily.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2010, 07:35:37 am »
There are too many misunderstandings in this thread to respond to them all and I don't want to get into a lengthy debate and I'm sensing an undercurrent of hostility and dismissiveness (I hope wrongly), so I'll try to summarize with a brief reply. I'd like to encourage peace and harmony between those following omnivore and carnivore diets. I hope we can disagree without becoming disagreeable.

I don't know whether humans are better classified as omnivores or facultative carnivores or a mixture. I don't think it's particularly critical as regards people's diets anyway, since there is no distinct scientific dividing line between facultative carnivore and omnivore, so the differences are more of degree than of kind. There are good arguments on both sides. Those who think that the case for omnivore is open-and-shut might be surprised by some of the evidence on the other side, such as Voegtlin's comparative anatomy table and what I've written in other threads about Giant Pandas and tarsiers. I don't detect any interest in this evidence, though, so it's probably better that we just agree to disagree about whether the question is settled.

Of the diets I've tried so far, I fare best on a VLC diet that includes a small amount of animal carbs from liver and eggs. For whatever reason, I don't seem to fare well on any plant carbs. I do include a small amount anyway and try to minimize the damage, because I enjoy them, so I hope that those who say that some day I'll be able to eat plant carbs without negative effects are correct. Unfortunately, it hasn't happened yet.

I don't do high-fat VLC because I want to, I do it because it's all that has worked for me so far. I don't understand why this seems to trouble some non-vegan folks (I understand why a carnivorous diet would upset those vegans who regard all meat-eating as evil). If the diets that you folks advocate worked for me, believe me I would switch to them in a minute. I have no dogmatic allegiance to the foods I'm currently eating. I'm happy for you folks that you've found something that works for you and I have zero interest in convincing you to do anything different.

I hope this helps put folks more at ease.

Peace,
Phil
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2010, 04:16:02 pm »
Well, Phil, no problem! I understand and I agree. Everyone is different and anyway we all change with time. I just would ad that short term reactions are often rather misleading, as eating something beneficial can trigger the disagreeable elimination of some previously eaten doubtful stuff.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2010, 05:14:26 pm »
Well, Phil, no problem! I understand and I agree. Everyone is different and anyway we all change with time. I just would ad that short term reactions are often rather misleading, as eating something beneficial can trigger the disagreeable elimination of some previously eaten doubtful stuff.
Well, 100 percent RAFers like PP and Lex have been doing these kind of diets for quite some time, and have been fine on them.

I am just wonder why some only thrive on such diets while others thrive only on raw omnivore diets.  I wonder if there are people who thrive on both types?
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hanna

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2010, 07:37:12 pm »
There are good arguments on both sides. Those who think that the case for omnivore is open-and-shut might be surprised by some of the evidence on the other side, such as Voegtlin's comparative anatomy table and what I've written in other threads about Giant Pandas and tarsiers. I don't detect any interest in this evidence,

Phil, I am interested! And there are others who are interested too. Tarsiers have little hands but are carnivores. But what about the panda and the anatomical evidence? Could you tell more about that?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2010, 08:30:03 am »
Well, 100 percent RAFers like PP and Lex have been doing these kind of diets for quite some time, and have been fine on them.
Thanks for pointing that out, although Lex seems to be thriving better than I am after years of experimentation. I still have a ways to go and may discover new wrinkles to my approach.

I am just wonder why some only thrive on such diets while others thrive only on raw omnivore diets.
I wonder the same thing. There are many possible factors--genetics, epigenetics, varying damage from SAD, etc.

I wonder if there are people who thrive on both types?
I suspect so.

Hanna, I started a reply here: http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/carnivorous-zero-carb-approach/we-are-faunivore!/msg55845/#msg55845

I discussed giant pandas a bit in that thread and I've also written on them in the following thread and elsewhere:
http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/carnivorous-zero-carb-approach/incomplete-adaptation-giant-pandas-humans-and-more/msg39709/#msg39709
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 08:35:21 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk