Author Topic: for health reasons....  (Read 5183 times)

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
for health reasons....
« on: April 12, 2012, 08:11:48 am »
...did I register here. My husband has been a member here for quite some time. He has convinced me (or what is written here and elsewhere that is), that this is the healthiest way to eat. It just makes sense to me.
I have a bunch of "health issues"(according to doctors, not that I notice), I don't need any more, so I am willing to give up my much loved bread, cookies, pasta, you name it...
Transitioning has been hard for me, because I shed pounds faster than you can say 'diet'.
I also seem to have a problem with hypoglycemia.

Last but not least, I am nursing my 8 month old baby and I often worry about my "grain fed" breastmilk :(, I know it is still best, but for sure better on a better diet.

Suiren

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:19:11 am by Suiren »
Nyd byþ nearu on breostan; weorþeþ hi þeah oft niþa bearnum
to helpe and to hæle gehwæþre, gif hi his hlystaþ æror.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: for health reasons....
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 09:55:12 am »
Welcome to the forum!  Out of curiosity, what is your husband's username here? Don't answer, of course, if you have concerns re privacy.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Ferocious

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 08:11:50 pm »
Welcome to the forum!  Out of curiosity, what is your husband's username here? Don't answer, of course, if you have concerns re privacy.
That would be me. ; )

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 08:37:52 pm »
Well, it's good to see more couples/families doing RVAF diets. 10 years ago, I used to hear all sorts of complaints by rawists about non-raw-eating partners who heavily disapproved of their raw diet. This diet seems to be becoming more acceptable by the public as time goes on.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 09:27:38 pm »
I would have not even known his username because he keeps changing it  :P

Well, it's good to see more couples/families doing RVAF diets. 10 years ago, I used to hear all sorts of complaints by rawists about non-raw-eating partners who heavily disapproved of their raw diet. This diet seems to be becoming more acceptable by the public as time goes on.

I feel like raw vegan (not ideal, I know)  is widely accepted nowadays. The people that don't eat this way at least admit it seems to be healthier, but they don't have the discipline for it. And they certainly don't know just how bad some foods really are.

Maybe it is just a matter of time until raw meat is at least understood as good, although I doubt many people would eat it in its pure form. I imagine a raw meat sushi trend or something like that.  -\

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 05:53:12 am »
Welcome. Steak tartare is already pretty popular in gourmet restaurants (in various versions), and I've noticed it on more menus in recent years (bizarrely, sometimes it's paired with a cooked egg). My sister will eat steak tartare in a restaurant, but refuses to try it at home. It's odd how easily brainwashed people can become by illogical hangups based on nothing more than convention and habit. But at least things seem to be slowly changing. I think the bizarre foods TV shows and international food/travel shows are helping Americans to become more adventurous and gourmet. Artisinal raw cheese seems to be increasing greatly in popularity, for example. I can remember the days of my youth when the only cheese on sale anywhere in my local area was American processed cheese-like substance, Cheese Wiz cheese-like substance, and pasteurized cheddar. Now there are countless varieties of real cheeses, including many raw ones--although I'm living in a more metropolitan area now, so it's not a perfect comparison.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 05:59:01 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 09:32:51 am »
I think the sushi boom is the real driving factor, as is the boom in gourmet foods like artisanal raw cheeses that comes from the wealth of the Baby Boomers.

I'd say the rise of Korean barbecue restaurants helps a little, too.  I mentioned that I like raw meat at work today, and two different people both agreed, they said they like to eat raw meat at Korean barbecue restaurants.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 09:41:08 am »
Interesting, I've never seen a Korean barbecue. What's that like? I live in a dairy state where there's tons of cheese, but no Korean BBQ's that I'm aware of. The steak tartare I've seen has been at gourmet restaurants with continental European characteristics, especially French, rather than sushi restaurants. My state is the #1 or #2 most European (aka white) state in the USA, depending on how you measure it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:47:35 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 06:33:22 am »
I know about Steak Tartar too. And in Germany there is a few more raw meat dishes, like Metbroetchen, which is seasoned ground pork on a roll. Many also eat Carpaccio (spelling?). But, people here believe too much raw meat can cause colon cancer (in the U.S. most people thought you would simply drop dead  ;D)

Talking about the U.S.
But at least things seem to be slowly changing. I think the bizarre foods TV shows and international food/travel shows are helping Americans to become more adventurous and gourmet. Artisinal raw cheese seems to be increasing greatly in popularity, for example. I can remember the days of my youth when the only cheese on sale anywhere in my local area was American processed cheese-like substance, Cheese Wiz cheese-like substance, and pasteurized cheddar
When I was living there (NY, CA) I noticed that too. While you were still able to buy cheese like yellow substance, ultra pasteurized and whatnot, many places offered actual cheese. Especially at whole foods the selection was great, I also think the "organic" trend will make people think about their diet more in the future (beyond organic), because I think once you start to question something, you will keep finding out more.

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 01:30:00 am »
I used to lose weight easy too. I'm 5'7" and I used to weigh 120-130lbs. About 35 I started gaining and not losing. I always could eat anything and all I wanted. I would often fast. I just didn't think much about food. By 38 it seemed impossible to lose a pound. I'm 40 and I just gained more weight (165:())since deciding to eat carbs. I've also been cheating with some of the junk foods you mentioned in your first post. I wish I could loose weight like I used too. I think I burned out my metabolism, I have no advice. Just the warning that the ability to lose quickly may evaporate around 40. Maybe it is different for you, but I loved being thin.
   BTW, Welcome, it is neat to have you as an individual and a couple.
I have liked your man's posts and I'm happy to "get to know" you too.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:48:40 am by TylerDurden »
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 09:03:09 pm »
Thank you for the welcome Adora! I am looking forward to posting.

The skinny genes seem to be in my family (although my husband thinks it can never be genes ;)), My grandfather was always super thin, my mom is almost in her mid 50's and my size, and I have forever been this way, not seen any slowing down with age either.
For me it is actually even more of a "battle" than just eaten whatever I like. Meaning I "need" to stuff myself until I am sooooo tired of it.  -\ Just to maintain my weight...(5'5" and  111lbs)

I have also always gotten mean comments by other ladies about being thin. So I have been wanting to be normal all my life.

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 08:00:00 am »
    I'm sorry you have to stuff your self. It will be interesting to see how raw foods work for you. I would love to be thin.

know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk