Author Topic: Craving raw beef!  (Read 15339 times)

Offline Adam

• Forager
    • View Profile
Craving raw beef!
« on: July 26, 2010, 03:15:13 pm »
Im still new to the whole raw paleo idea and am not anywhere near going 100% yet. So far Ive only had raw beef 3 times and haven't enjoyed it at all, I simply don't like the taste. The last time I ate some was about 2 weeks ago. Currently Im a 100% paleo but not raw. Anyway last night I craved raw steak. I don't even like the taste, why would I crave it?

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: Craving raw beef!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 03:37:58 pm »
You probably need some raw meat!

Fresh raw beef is also neither appealing nor tasty to me. But it generally becomes tasty once matured and it can be matured rather quickly by hanging it in the wind of a fan or more slowly by letting it hang in a not too damp fridge, or any combination of both (a ventilated fridge per example). When high, after a few months in the fridge, it gets a strong taste that can be very attracting and delightful.

But anyway there are much better and tastier meats than beef: wild boar, kangaroo, venison, deer, chamois, lamb, rabbit, duck, chicken…
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 03:58:50 pm »
Im still new to the whole raw paleo idea and am not anywhere near going 100% yet. So far Ive only had raw beef 3 times and haven't enjoyed it at all, I simply don't like the taste. The last time I ate some was about 2 weeks ago. Currently Im a 100% paleo but not raw. Anyway last night I craved raw steak. I don't even like the taste, why would I crave it?

Sometimes it depends on the beef.

When I started with raw beef I chose from 2 wet markets.

I started tasting different butchers and cuts and variants.  Later on I just kept buying from the source I really liked.  So raw beef batangas beef with the yellow fat tastes really really good to me.  So good that when I had to move offices I moved my office beside the wet market that had this batangas beef fresh daily.

Beef is not just beef.  Find the beef you like.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 05:48:14 pm »
Beef is not just beef.  Find the beef you like.

Sure, but most important, the animals should be grass fed and must not be fed any grain or whatever processed food. Since grain-fed beef or lamb might well be very tasty, we have to know how it has been raised.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 09:01:40 am »
i didn't like beef in the beginning, now i love it. but i do love lamb from the beginning. they're super delicious! tastes :) very different than beef. you might also like that too.
bugs or country chickens

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 04:47:28 am »

But anyway there are much better and tastier meats than beef: wild boar, kangaroo, venison, deer, chamois, lamb, rabbit, duck, chicken…

and grass fed bison :)

Offline subfarm

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 03:52:21 am »
Raw bison is delicious!

When I first started eating raw beef, it was because I had undiagnosed celiac disease that resulted in anemia. I wanted the meat so badly, and I  would crave it for days on end. Someone told me to eat organ meats, but cooked or not, the thought of that still disgusted me. I eventually threw my notions of social norms out the window and pigged out on 16 ounces of raw new york strip. I felt so invigorated, the color came back to my gums and face and I felt powerful. After that, I had no problem eating raw red meat. I'm to the point now that the smell and taste of cooked meat is rather repugnant. Our bodies know what is best.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 12:06:26 pm »
Awesome and congratulations!
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 05:19:34 am »
I crave good tasting meats , no matter the type. Some store bought meat I buy taste good for the first meal or so but  if its not right for me I will lose my apatite for it, craving seems to be different than taste, Something can taste fine and for some reason not appeal to my apatite. I think it is really important to trust and pay attention to these cravings and apatite swings in order to protect your self from less than optimal meats. Though you cant always trust your instincts especially if your taste have been altered by artificial foods. When I got my first case of beef from this restaurant I tore right into it and ate ravenously, like I couldn't get enough of it, an even now I will gorge my self when I get a fresh case, its the best stuff I have found. I still crave other foods from time to time I eat lamb and different sea food but only every now and then. I am still addicted to coconut butter and am curious of how healthy it is to eat a pound every 5 days of concentrated coconut, but I feel good with it, so I still dip most of my meats in it, though even with coconut butter being used as a flavor enhancer I can still tell good tasting from unappealing meats.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 03:26:40 am »
I crave good tasting meats , no matter the type. Some store bought meat I buy taste good for the first meal or so but  if its not right for me I will lose my apatite for it, craving seems to be different than taste, Something can taste fine and for some reason not appeal to my apatite. I think it is really important to trust and pay attention to these cravings and apatite swings in order to protect your self from less than optimal meats. Though you cant always trust your instincts especially if your taste have been altered by artificial foods. When I got my first case of beef from this restaurant I tore right into it and ate ravenously, like I couldn't get enough of it, an even now I will gorge my self when I get a fresh case, its the best stuff I have found. I still crave other foods from time to time I eat lamb and different sea food but only every now and then. I am still addicted to coconut butter and am curious of how healthy it is to eat a pound every 5 days of concentrated coconut, but I feel good with it, so I still dip most of my meats in it, though even with coconut butter being used as a flavor enhancer I can still tell good tasting from unappealing meats.
Do you mean coconut oil? Coconut butter is solid at room temperature.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 03:50:07 am »
I warm my coconut butter until it melts somewhere around 80 degrees. It turns into a cream that I find irresistible. Coconut oil isn't appealing to me at all, sometimes if my butter is dry I might melt a small morsel of oil in with it to improve consistency, and I will also melt some coconut oil and use it in a babies bottles as a key ingredient of my homemade formula. It works for me and my kids, I know coconut is a controversial paleo food but I seem to do well with it. I will dip my suet and meat in it and it seems to help me get the 70% caloric intake of fat as well as provide a small amount of low glycemic carbs.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 04:46:54 am »
I warm my coconut butter until it melts somewhere around 80 degrees. It turns into a cream that I find irresistible. Coconut oil isn't appealing to me at all, sometimes if my butter is dry I might melt a small morsel of oil in with it to improve consistency, and I will also melt some coconut oil and use it in a babies bottles as a key ingredient of my homemade formula. It works for me and my kids, I know coconut is a controversial paleo food but I seem to do well with it. I will dip my suet and meat in it and it seems to help me get the 70% caloric intake of fat as well as provide a small amount of low glycemic carbs.

I don’t know what you mean by “coconut butter”. I lived in the tropics for some years and I never saw such a thing. You melt it at 80° F = 27°C ? Why coconut would be a controversial paleo food? Sure coconut oil is not paleo, but the coconut itself in its various states is completely natural.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 05:18:20 am »
http://www.premierorganics.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=35

This is coconut butter and all it is is dehydrated coconut meat with some of the fiber removed.
It is low temperature processed so is still raw, it requires special equipment to produce, so it isn't 100% paleo even though it is in essence just coconut.

The controversy is my reference to Paleo Phil's bad reactions to it and many others on the forum don't seem to do well with coconut. So far there have been no one else here that has tried it and is willing to give an opinion.

I personally love it and haven't had any issues with it other than its expense.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 05:24:47 am »
I don’t know what you mean by “coconut butter”. I lived in the tropics for some years and I never saw such a thing. You melt it at 80° F = 27°C ? Why coconut would be a controversial paleo food? Sure coconut oil is not paleo, but the coconut itself in its various states is completely natural.

The butter is the oil its the same thing...

"Coconut butter, also known as coconut oil, is vegetable oil extracted from the dried meat of the coconut, or copra. The copra is collected from mature coconuts and shredded. It is then cleaned of foreign materials, such as dirt or metal, and broken down into fine particles. These particles are passed through a steamer and brought to a temperature of 220 degrees F (104 degrees C). After steaming for 30 minutes, the milled copra is transferred to an expeller where it is subjected to high-pressure oil extraction. The resulting oil is then filtered and pumped into a storage tank. From here, the coconut butter is bottled or jarred for distribution."

"Virgin coconut butter is derived from fresh coconut meat, or non-copra. Coconut milk and oil are pressed from the flesh of the coconut using large mechanical presses, or sometimes by hand. The oil is then separated from the water by boiling, refrigeration or mechanical centrifuge."

I prefer eating the flesh of whole coconuts, best taste and completely unprocessed. I use coconut oil for skin/hair moisturizer, or if I have to cook something and I have no butter or lard... because its about the only plant oil that is relatively safe to heat up.

But coconut milk is different...

"Two grades of coconut milk exist: thick and thin. Thick coconut milk is prepared by directly squeezing grated coconut meat through cheesecloth. The squeezed coconut meat is then soaked in warm water and squeezed a second or third time for thin coconut milk."

You can make your own coconut milk and its delicious, once in a long while I'll I buy the canned one (I know I know, cans, bad, blah), the one where there is only one ingredient, coconuts...but its high in sugars so wouldn't work for the VLC'er

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 05:32:15 am »
This brand of butter is not coconut oil, it is the flesh and cream , there is a difference that is night and day. I know that there are some info sites that claim that coconut butter is just oil, but its false info that was probably circulated before this particular product ever came to market. Coconut butter actually has carbs,protein and fiber, coconut oil does not

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 05:46:56 am »
This brand of butter is not coconut oil, it is the flesh and cream , there is a difference that is night and day. I know that there are some info sites that claim that coconut butter is just oil, but its false info that was probably circulated before this particular product ever came to market. Coconut butter actually has carbs,protein and fiber, coconut oil does not

I wasn't saying that your brand is like the ones I mentioned. I was just replying to Iguana to say that in "common knowledge", jars of coconut butter and coconut oil are the same thing, with the virgin ones being less heated, unless of course you buy the Artisana one.

I had a jar of that, yeah thats a different one, very much more concentrated "coconut meat" in that one. I thought the taste was great - finished the jar pretty quick. But its so expensive here  >:

Still I wonder what people made first, coconut milk or coconut butter like the Artisana one...

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 05:51:29 am »
We used to make coconut milk and coconut cream at home. But this is processed stuff, our instinct doesn’t work properly with it. It’s usually used to cook something in.

Coconut meat from a ripe coconut gives a very clear instinctive stop, you can’t eat too much of it. The soft flesh from young coconuts is delicious and there’s also a quite clear instinctive stop, it’s just that you can generally eat a lot of it.

Coconut water  is the best drink!

Another very good thing is coconut germ.

But I would never eat that « butter » !

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 05:54:45 am »
I like the raw "old" coconuts as well...
You can just chew on the hard fibrous "meat" and you get the coconut cream from that, then just spit out the fiber.
You teeth are the perfect processor to make coconut cream  ;D

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 05:56:47 am »
Another very good thing is coconut germ. ...

Is that the "bulb", like the root of the young plant, or what?

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 07:11:32 am »
When fallen coconuts are left on the ground, after a while they start to germinate. In the center  something sweet takes place of the water  and grows up till it fills up all the space inside the nut. Some roots grow under the nut, and small palms comes out at the top. A new baby tree is born. The germ progressively eats the meat surrounding it, and in between  there’s a layer of fat which is delicious as well.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 08:50:42 am »
The coconut butter is the only processed food I eat, I like fresh coconut, but I live in Kentucky and the ones they ship here are often less than fresh. The last couple of ones I bought gave me a headache, so I am fairly content to eat the butter because I have never had any problems with it.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 10:18:26 am »
I have the artisana stuff. I like the taste, very mild.

i've tried the raw coconut cream made with a Hurom juicer and its super intense/probably more bioactive.

I personally have no issues with cold processing of food but don't know how these kinds of things hold up with time or what they do to them (despite labeling) that makes them more versatile to rot than fresh coconut. I don't think its processing per se, I remember there was a specific kind of $$ nut butters you could buy refrigerated from 'rejuvenative foods' and I considered these in some ways more raw than the nuts I had at my disposal at the time. I hear coconut oils do avoid rancidity with proper storage so its possible the artisana product is genuinely raw or 'low temp', but it digests and its taste/experience is far different from the freshly juiced cream.

I can't stomach the oils on taste alone. In my case I havn't used either as more than a condiment - usually just to slow down fruit sugar than to add fat in my diet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk