Author Topic: Hello, Im new and would like some advice please.  (Read 13878 times)

Offline Swulfie

• Forager
    • View Profile
Hello, Im new and would like some advice please.
« on: October 09, 2013, 03:14:53 am »
Hello my name is Stuart and after reading so much about this way of eating I have decided to go ahead and start it on 10th October. Just waiting for my food to be delivered.  ;D

I'm just under 17 stone and according to the NHS here in the UK I should be around 12 stone. So I decided to follow this way of eating to get within a healthy weight range and improve my overall health and get the Vitamins and Minerals which i'm probably lacking right now due to my typical junk food diet. Im looking to eat around 1800 calories per day with a Fat / Protein ratio of 73/27. My plan will consist of the following per day:

484g Beef Steak Mince. Grass Fed. 90/10.
60g Beef Liver. Grass Fed.
30g Beef Kidney. Grass Fed.
100g Beef Fat. Grass Fed.
1 Teaspoon Himalayan Salt. (For RDA of Sodium)

Does this look ok to start with? Its just over 1800 calories according to Nutrition Data.
Let me know your thoughts.

I will also take a Multi Vitamin called Wellman and a Calcium Formula called Osteocare to ensure I get the right vitamins and minerals. After using Nutrition Data and checking my vitamins and calcium formula I calculated I would hit the RDA of all the Vitamins and Minerals except Vitamin K 7%, Potassium 51%, Manganese 66%.  I believe Vitamin K can be produced by our bodies, However i have read so much about Potassium and Manganese, Would I be lacking in these minerals after several months on a Raw Carnivorous type diet. Also the whole omega 6 to omega 3 ratio, If i consumed nothing but grass fed meat will I need to supplement with Omega 3 or just try to add a small amount of salmon each day. Ideally I want to stay away from Fruit and Veg for now as I'm starting to get really carb sensitive. Eventually I'm going to join the gym and would like to know if anyone has problems with zero to low carb diets, some people say you need carbs to build muscle and for energy while others say once fat adapted with sufficient calories you will have lots of energy and a good base to build muscle. Let me know what you think. For now i'm concentrating on this new way of eating and losing some weight so my doctors cant call me officially obese.  :(

Any feedback or advice to help me start this new chapter in my life would be great.

I look forward to your replies.
Kind Regards

Stuart
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:24:30 am by Swulfie »

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, Im new and would like some advice please.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 03:38:43 am »
Welcome Stuart, but I'm sorry that I can't give you any advice because you have apparently already made up your mind  to do something quite opposite to what I consider to be a true raw paleo nutrition.  >:
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Swulfie

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 03:42:39 am »
Thanks for your reply, I am going to start with the above however i'm open to feedback. I'm completely new to this. LOL

Offline Swulfie

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 04:37:09 am »
Right ok, I realise i have made a plan without asking for advice first.  l) However I was keen to get started and thought the above was a good place to start.
Obviously not,

1. Should I remove the supplements and concentrate on maybe more meat/organs.
2. Do I have to include fish even if the meat is grass fed.
3. I will eat other meats, not just beef! Lamb etc...
4. Should I include the Fruit / Veg and Dairy to ensure vitamins and minerals reach their RDA.
5. Can the experienced members give me an idea off what to add to my diet.

I don't want to be deficient in vitamins and minerals and would like to go low carb but if somebody else knows better please tell me your experiences.
I'm new to this and if i'm asking the wrong questions or making people angry I apologise. All I ask is for your help to get me started and any useful advice.

Thanks again.   

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 04:51:09 am »
OK, the problem with raw, palaeolithic diets is that we all know that one size does not fit all. So, all we can do is provide a dozen different types of paths to follow, and, in most cases, most newbies will anyway have to tweak the path they choose to fit their own body`s needs. I will give you some ideas  as a starter:-

1) Zero carb affected me very badly while exercising. After a couple of  days on raw zero carb, I could not do any proper weight-lifting, I would quit after just half a set. I have heard it said that one can do great aerobic  exercise on a zero-carb diet but not do well on anaerobic activity. Then again, I have heard claims of  a few athletes who did fine on raw zero carb on any type of exercise.

2) I do not see salt as being useful in any way. We already get plenty of natural salts in raw, grassfed or wild foods. One can get even more if one drinks raw blood or eats very bloody raw meats.

3) Ignore the NHS guidelines re weight. They are based on things like BMI and are way  inaccurate. According to BMI guidelines, Arnold Schwarzenegger, for example, would be described as being obese in his weightlifting days. Do not get too thin and do not get a paunch, that`s all.

4) Your extra mix of raw organ-meats is a very good idea. If one is unhealthy, then adding raw organ-meats speeds up one`s health-recovery  much more.

5) Processed supplements are a complete waste of time and a huge financial drain. I once spent c. 500 dollars a month on supplements in order to regain my health and it was  a disaster. All that happened was that I pissed orange from all the excess vitamins I was taking in. Raw, grassfed meats contain  all the nutrients one needs in the body, including potassium and manganese. They are what is scientifically called "complete" foods.

6) You do NOT need extra omega 3 fatty acids if you are eating raw, grassfed meats. If you feel the need for extra omega 3 fatty acids, go in for raw wildcaught seafood, especially raw wild shellfish. There is some very cheap raw wild shellfish around. Of course, living near the coast  helps cut down on costs. Avoid farmed salmon at all costs as it is filled with a nasty cancer-causing chemical called "canthaxanthin" which is used to give the fake pinkish colour  - otherwise, without the dye, farmed salmon would all look a very sickly, unappetising  grey. Raw wildcaught salmon is fine but very difficult to get now.

7) I`m glad that you are not doing dairy, raw or otherwise. Raw dairy is the food that rawists have the biggest problems with when starting a raw diet. Some do fine on the stuff, but, generally speaking, it is not an essential raw food and wise to avoid it if you hyave other sources of raw foods.

My own raw zero carb diet experience was a disaster. I started out really well, in that at first my levels of alertness/concentration were significantly boosted, then my ability to do sport plummeted except for some swimming activity - after c. 3 weeks, I suddenly developed massive hunger-pangs and constant thirst. No amount of eating raw meats or drinking water, even salted water, solved the hunger or the thirst. I soon developed loosened teeth and felt tired all the time. Eventually, I had to stop or face hospitalisation. I get too much of an appetite and eat too much if I have too many carbs, so I stick to low-carb generally.

Others, though, have had a wonderful time with raw, zero-carb and have spoken of a short, transitional period lasting from days to weeks, depending on the individual,  where their bodies adjusted and they had a few minor temporary issues. I guess you will just have to experiment to see what works.

If you have access to raw wild game, that is the ne plus ultra of raw foodism. The stuff is far more nutrient-dense and tastier even than raw, grassfed meats. Try it once you get too used to raw, grassfed meats. When in the UK, I got a lot of raw wild game and raw wildcaught seafood from local farmer`s markets around London, the ones with an LFM association  tag.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 04:56:28 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 04:55:45 am »
Right ok, I realise i have made a plan without asking for advice first.  l) However I was keen to get started and thought the above was a good place to start.
Obviously not,

1. Should I remove the supplements and concentrate on maybe more meat/organs.
2. Do I have to include fish even if the meat is grass fed.
3. I will eat other meats, not just beef! Lamb etc...
4. Should I include the Fruit / Veg and Dairy to ensure vitamins and minerals reach their RDA.
5. Can the experienced members give me an idea off what to add to my diet.

I don't want to be deficient in vitamins and minerals and would like to go low carb but if somebody else knows better please tell me your experiences.
I'm new to this and if i'm asking the wrong questions or making people angry I apologise. All I ask is for your help to get me started and any useful advice.

Thanks again.   

Short answers:-

1) Yes.
2) No, but extra variety is always useful,. I personally could not stand this diet without some variety now and then.
3 and 4) Not necessarily. Experiment to see what works best for your body. If you really cannot handle raw carbs, avoid them and see what happens etc.  And, like I said before, raw animal foods provide all the nutrients you need if they are healthy(ie grassfed or wild).,
5) Other than what I have already written, I might suggest you look at the Info for newbies section under the general discussions forum.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 05:03:16 am »
In response to original post:

In my opinion the only supplement you should consider taking is vit D3, seeing as the summer is over and you are likely deficient.
You seem to be worrying too much about specific quantities of food. There is no need for calorie restriction. Eat as much beef fat, muscle meat, liver, kidney etc as it takes to make you feel satisfied. RDA values are largely a waste of time, they are based on the average "healthy" population, which eat Neolithic foods etc. True healthy nutrient intakes likely differ a lot to the RDA.
Salt is also not necessary in my opinion. The meats, especially kidney, contain a decent amount of sodium. But 30 g of kidney is not much. When I eat beef kidney I usually eat a whole one in one sitting, which weighs at least 250g. But I don't eat it daily.

You don't need carbs to build muscle.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Swulfie

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 05:09:14 am »
Thank you so much for your replies Tyler. That really helps, I will definitely follow your advice. I think I will try to go very low carb initially and see how things go.
You mentioned loose teeth, is that common with low carbers?
I'm a bit concerned  about that. If I struggle with low carbs, I will probably add fruit and veg but I will stay away from Dairy if that's what you recommend.
What about calcium? Will I be OK without Dairy and no supplements?

Thanks again Tyler.  :)

Offline Swulfie

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 05:18:52 am »
In response to original post:

In my opinion the only supplement you should consider taking is vit D3, seeing as the summer is over and you are likely deficient.
You seem to be worrying too much about specific quantities of food. There is no need for calorie restriction. Eat as much beef fat, muscle meat, liver, kidney etc as it takes to make you feel satisfied. RDA values are largely a waste of time, they are based on the average "healthy" population, which eat Neolithic foods etc. True healthy nutrient intakes likely differ a lot to the RDA.
Salt is also not necessary in my opinion. The meats, especially kidney, contain a decent amount of sodium. But 30 g of kidney is not much. When I eat beef kidney I usually eat a whole one in one sitting, which weighs at least 250g. But I don't eat it daily.

You don't need carbs to build muscle.

Thanks for your reply Haai, I think I am over thinking things. I suppose I just like having a set menu each day so i know i'm getting everything my body requires daily. Silly I know, maybe Diet OCD.  ;D I will probably try and consume more organs but I don't want to go overboard. I will ignore the RDA from now on and concentrate on eating grass fed meat.

You dont need carbs to build muscle - Thats what I thought but I have read so much about muscle building saying you must consume 1g Carbs per 1lb body weight after weight training. There will be a lot of experimenting over the next few months.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I appreciate it.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 05:29:33 am »
Thank you so much for your replies Tyler. That really helps, I will definitely follow your advice. I think I will try to go very low carb initially and see how things go.
You mentioned loose teeth, is that common with low carbers?
I'm a bit concerned  about that. If I struggle with low carbs, I will probably add fruit and veg but I will stay away from Dairy if that's what you recommend.
What about calcium? Will I be OK without Dairy and no supplements?

Thanks again Tyler.  :)
There is plenty of calcium in raw meats. No need to supplement calcium. Indeed those consuming too much calcium(via raw dairy mainly) have to worry about  the excess calcium in their diet   blocking the uptake of magnesium into their bodies.

Generally speaking, it is safer to try raw, low carb diets first. That said, you did mention having issues with carbs, so you may well be one of those who do extremely well on a raw, zero-carb diet with no plant foods at all. So try raw, low carb diets, then, if you are not experiencing enough improvements on that, try raw zero-carb instead. Try diets higher in carbs if neither works.

No, loose teeth are not common among low carbers at all. I only experienced it myself when I was doing raw zero-carb after some weeks.  On raw, low-carb I am fine, and there are plenty of raw zero carbers who have no issues with loose teeth or  anything else.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Swulfie

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 05:36:19 am »
Thanks for that Tyler, Cant wait til Thursday now. Will be interesting to see how things go over the first month. I will keep you informed of how i'm getting on. I'm sure i will have plenty more questions.  ;D

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 06:05:35 am »

OK, the problem with raw, palaeolithic diets is that we all know that one size does not fit all.
Everyone has different transitory needs, but that is spontaneously and instinctively taken into account with raw, unprocessed, unmixed paleo stuff. I would say that “instincto nutrition” fits all because everyone chooses different foods according to individuals’ current and constantly changing body needs.   

I guess you will just have to experiment to see what works.
How to know if something seemingly working in the short term will work in the long term? Fried potatoes, sausages, bread, jam, cheese, coffee and ice-creams worked well for my father until he was fatally ill and died of cancer.  >:

Actually, I haven’t experimented to see what “works for me” at my own risks: I benefited of the meticulous and extended experiments of others who had very successfully, during several decades, eaten the raw unprocessed foods they like, in the amount they enjoy. It doesn’t mean that I always have the same food they benefit from, of course. At a common table, one may eat a crab while another eat eggs, or liver, or avocados, or tomatoes or a sweet potatoe.   ;)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:42:14 am by Iguana »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 09:24:46 am »
Hi and welcome! Glad to see a new person excited and not weary about raw foods!

There is a TON of info. Use the search bar and read read read. I did that my first month and learned from mistakes. A lot of here don't "concern" ourselves much with weight loss; it's not really an issue with a raw paleo diet. The issue with weight comes in not eating fully raw, junk food, alcohol, dairy, etc. and other non-paleo foods. Not to say we aren't interested in helping! Quite the contrary, we feel it helps so naturally that we don't have many issues brought up about it. Personally I gained a few pounds this last month because of some delicious apples and pears we have growing here, and now they are done so it's coming off.

Almost everyone has a different approach. I can't prescribe anything but I'll share what's been doing well for me and maybe you will find it works for you if you feel like trying. I eat mostly carnivorous as you have laid out in your plan. I try to take a little bit from Iguana and eat "instinctively, not mixing" and it seems to make things easier and I haven't felt like I'm missing out on flavor. Almost the opposite I'm starting to notice, adding seasonings and mixing is almost... disappointing. I usually expect it to taste better but it doesn't. I've been eating raw for 4-5 months now and am just starting to notice this, so don't rush it if you aren't comfortable. It almost doesn't make sense to me yet and I'm trying to learn what I can. I don't have a wide enough range of foodstuffs to eat that way entirely and have it be fully effective, so I supplement with iodine and that protocol. That has been wonderful in my health and makes me feel fantastic. I don't think iodine helps with weight, but it might help with mood/energy depending on your toxicity level and help you from "cheating."

Going ketogenic seems to be the easiest way to lose weight for most people IF your body can handle the adaptation. Not all people can for whatever reasons. I love being ketogenic as I'm pretty sure being raised on such terrible carbs as wheat and cooked sugars damaged my brain and I can't think very well when I eat even some raw carbs in too high amounts. I have been sensitive to food for about the past year but nothing nearly as much as the switch to raw. It's really helped me gain an even greater understanding of what my body needs and how it will respond to certain foods. Just saying that to share my experience.

Good luck and keep us updated!
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 01:21:03 pm »
Welcome Stuart!

My suggestions (how I live too)

Where do you live? Eat locally available foods, in season. That said, no oranges if you live in Alaska, period. I live in Finland and eat only wild berries and greens/veggies in season, as close to zero fruit grows here. The rest is RAF. Seafood is necessary! You need DHA and other things - especially for your  brain. Seafood is superior to land mammals... just check it out on nutritiondata, they have way more of the very important minerals.

Never count the amounts, eat as much as you need, never count calories or grams.

Never snack. Eat solid meals 1-3 times/day, I usually eat 2-3 meals. Eat nothing 4 hours before going to bed. This is important for good sleep.

Drink plenty of good water, spring water is great. Never drink fluoridated tap water and the like. Water quality is a big issue.

Eat the whole animal, I even eat the fish heads. They are so much better than any supplement! Seaweeds are also always great, full of minerals. Oysters are superfood. Use your food as your medicine. If you do want to supplement, still eat the best foods you can afford. And search very well before deciding what supps to take. Multivitamins for sure are crap! Better take blood test to know what you need. or, use food sources. Always better!

Do not forget the other things that belongs to a healthy life style. Being plenty of your time outside, getting sunlight on your whole body, walking barefeet, swimming in the ocean or rivers and lakes, limiting the use of electronic equipments, going early to bed, limiting artificial lights after sunset, let your body feel the natural temperatures in your environment (avoid heating your apartment/house etc) etc.

:)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 01:34:59 pm by Inger »

Offline Inger

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 01:25:12 pm »
Iodine might be a great supplement to take, most people are deficient. But if you try it out, do it very carefully, or you will experience nasty bromide detox..... -X
Read up on it first and about the Dr Brownstein protocol.

I never had any issue going ketogenic. You just need to avoid heavy exercise in the beginning (anyways, as long as you are ill it is not a good idea to do any heavy exercise at all), and, important! You must take care to stay hydrated! = drink plenty of spring water, add sea salt if you feel like it, get enough magnesium (oysters are great source, or then use a good supplement for a while if your food sucks..lol). Avoid too much electromagnetic radiation, this will dry out your cells. especially bad when in a transition time into fatburner modus. The "low carb flu" = dehydration.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 01:31:09 pm by Inger »

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 04:30:12 pm »
Seafood is necessary! You need DHA and other things - especially for your  brain. Seafood is superior to land mammals... just check it out on nutritiondata, they have way more of the very important minerals.

Drink plenty of good water, spring water is great. Never drink fluoridated tap water and the like. Water quality is a big issue.

Seafood is necessary in your opinion! I am not saying seafood is bad, because as we all know, and as you said, it is a very rich source of EPA, DHA and other omega 3s, as well as minerals. However, more is not always better. For great health I do not believe that seafood is a necessity! Chances are, much of the minerals consumed on a high-seafood diet are excreted from the body, because they are not needed in such high amounts. There is ample EPA and DHA in grass-fed meats. Liver is a rich source. I would imagine most/if not all of the data for terrestrial animals on nutrition data are from grain-fed animals. Except for the small amount of data on wild game meat of course, but data for organ meats of wild game is not present on nutritiondata, as far as I could see.

And Swulfie, as Inger says, don't underestimate the importance of good quality water! You shouldn't be drinking tapwater. If you buy bottled water, opt for water bottled in glass rather than plastic. That way you avoid the likes of phthalates and bisphenol A etc, which are endocrine disruptors.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 05:03:45 pm »
Also there's a contradiction between "Eat locally available foods, in season" and "Seafood is necessary!" if you don't live near a seashore, as I already pointed out several times.  ;)

Offline Inger

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 06:51:56 pm »
I believe we evolved to humans close to water with lots of food from the sea, because that is what needs to build a human brain... Than many do not live close to water does not mean they live in a optimal place. And the ocean is pretty close in every country, at least possibly to get food from the sea, even if you do not catch it yourself. I do believe people who have access to ocean foods are healthier.

You will always find foods in the ocean, all year round, on every latitude.......  ;)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 07:02:50 pm by Inger »

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 08:29:46 pm »
I believe we evolved to humans close to water with lots of food from the sea, because that is what needs to build a human brain... Than many do not live close to water does not mean they live in a optimal place. And the ocean is pretty close in every country, at least possibly to get food from the sea, even if you do not catch it yourself. I do believe people who have access to ocean foods are healthier.

You will always find foods in the ocean, all year round, on every latitude.......  ;)

Encephalization required energy dense food (due to the higher metabolic demand of a larger brain) + AA and DHA. Although seafood does contain a lot of AA and DHA, it is not energy dense, because it doesn't contain enough fat. Brain, liver, and even ruminant muscle meat contain enough AA and DHA for encephalization to occur. However, because early hominins were smaller and less technologically advanced than later hominins (think weapons), it is likely that they had little access to muscle meat and liver. Instead they would have scavenged the leftovers from lion/leopard/cheetah etc kills, which would have provided marrow (energy dense) and brains (AA + DHA).

Source: Cordain L, Watkins BA, Mann NJ. Fatty acid composition and energy density of foods available to African hominids. World Review of Nutrition and Dietetics 2001; 90:144-161.
http://thepaleodiet.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Fatty-Acid-Composition-and-Energy-Density-of-Foods-Available-to-African-Hominids.pdf

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 08:49:55 pm »

While I do get 99.9% of my flesh foods from seafood, I do it because seafood has more nutrition than land-animal meat.  Humans evolved more in the inland of Africa, and did not start eating fish much until pretty recently, around 20,000 years ago, I believe. However, I believe seafoods are superior to land-animal meat for health, as long as you don't have allergies to a specific food.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 09:07:28 pm »
I think it is a mistake to start "raw paleo diet" with carnivorous only ( zero carb ) approach.

I think you should go free wheeling abundant taste everything local and in season from sea food, land animals, vgetables, nuts, fruits, etc.

Get a feel of the wonderful variety raw paleo diets have to offer.

No need to measure.  Eat what feels good for you first.

Then when you understand and have tasted around you can do your restrictive "zero carb" raw paleo diet.

Do not ever think you will not lose weight on omnivorous or instinctive dieting.

Seek health first.  Weight just follows naturally.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 09:17:03 pm »
Then when you understand and have tasted around you can do your restrictive "zero carb" raw paleo diet.
I fully agree, except on the this because knowing what “carbs” are and in what they are found implies modern knowledge, which was of course not available in Paleolithic times.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 09:18:13 pm »
I think it is a mistake to start "raw paleo diet" with carnivorous only ( zero carb ) approach.

I think you should go free wheeling abundant taste everything local and in season from sea food, land animals, vgetables, nuts, fruits, etc.

Get a feel of the wonderful variety raw paleo diets have to offer.

No need to measure.  Eat what feels good for you first.

Do not ever think you will not lose weight on omnivorous or instinctive dieting.

Seek health first.  Weight just follows naturally.

I think either zero carb (carnivorous) or VLC is the best way to go if you want to fast track to good health. I know when I first started raw paleo I ate loads of fruit, thinking it was fine and very healthy, because fruit is allowed on the RPD. But my health only significantly improved once I cut out most of the fruit and went VLC. Now I choose to go carnivorous in the Winter and Spring, VLC in Summer, and low carb in Autumn, when wild fruit is most abundant.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2013, 09:52:27 pm »
Iguana and haai's arguments line up IMO. I know iguana has pointed out tropical fruits are available near year round but I simply don't have the experience.

As you can see already, saying a raw paleo diet is very general and everyone's bodies have different needs. Aside from lex rooker, I'm sure all of us have cycled our foods not eating the same thing for over a year. Is that right? Tough to say. Is our health better? Pretty much universally, yes we are all healthier.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:05:38 pm by TylerDurden »
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2013, 11:53:12 pm »
Eat locally available foods, in season. That said, no oranges if you live in Alaska, period..  … Seafood is necessary!
…the ocean is pretty close in every country, at least possibly to get food from the sea, even if you do not catch it yourself.

If you’re in Kansas City, it’s nevertheless about 1150 miles / 1850 km to the Atlantic shores and not much more to Florida where tropical fruits grow.

Our ancestors were nomadic before agriculture, thus they certainly moved around a lot: 10 km per day during a year means 3650 km. I don’t claim they systematically moved for long periods in a steady direction, but it shows that they could easily forage a lot of various foods in different climates and environments.

Thus the concept of eating local foods only makes little sense. What is local? Where does “local” end? In a radius you could walk in one day? In 3 months? In 10 years?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:58:43 pm by Iguana »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk