Author Topic: Depression, how to get back life, talent, excitement, everything!  (Read 5813 times)

Offline Charlie4444

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
    • http://www.healthylevelup.com
I'm new here, but I'm not new to Paleo, food, and it's legitimacy in solving our worst health problems.  To explain myself, right when I turned 20, I had been experimenting with some acid and ecstacy, and abusing some ritalin.  I did very little of these things, the hard drugs once or twice, and Ritalin only about 20 times.  I had been eating 100% SAD up till then.  At this time, like a brick wall, I started having trouble speaking well, having a respectable appearance, having a pleasant thought, acting like my personality to people I'd known my entire life was impossible, including my parents, literally not knowing if things in front of me were real or not, everything felt black, evil, negative, very painful, lost ability to play soccer in college, and couldn't write a paper, and among other worst things you could imagine.  Now I'm 23, and started regular Paleo a year ago, and have received numerous changes in my health that mask my mental illness, but hasn't really fixed the real problem.  Paleo keeps me going.  I am just now starting 95% raw paleo with meat, vegetable and fruit juicing.  I am hoping that being raw will cure me, because my previous Paleo was really nearly all cooked food.  Anyone cure their depression and how?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 06:27:29 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Depression, how to get back life, talent, excitement, everything!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 06:31:36 pm »
Welcome to the forum!

I suggest you first read the "Info for Newbies" section on how to get used to a raw, palaeolithic diet, where to buy high-quality raw foods etc. Then, after you've gotten used to and enjoy the taste of raw animal foods, I would strongly suggest you try  "high-meat", which is basically well-aged, raw meat:-

http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/display-your-culinary-creations/high-meat-recipe-preparation-for-more-advanced-rafers/

This stuff is legendary among RVAFers for curing depression, anxiety and the like. It also boosts one's concentration/energy-levels/mood considerably.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline zbr5

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 08:44:36 pm »
Hi Charlie, i have hundreds of books on psychology, spirituality and self-growth and we could have a longer discussion on what works well or not. Most of approaches are long-term.

What you could start right now is to get a book "Last child in the woods" and do what it teaches: spend regular time in nature. I know it does not sound appealing or powerful but please believe me, incorporate walks/jogging in nature and it will help. Also cut sweets and carbs for some time to see how it affects you.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 03:14:53 am »
I recommend trying Vitamin D-3 softgel supplements, I use the Now brand.  You might want to try to get as much sun as you can, and maybe even try a tanning bed (the low pressure kind).  Sunlight and vitamin D supplements have helped my mood quite a bit.

I also recommend cutting back on the carbs, and increasing the fat.  That will help your brain in general, and it also improves your usage of the vitamin D.

Offline Charlie4444

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 12:24:06 pm »
I'm pretty sure juicing raw vegetables and fruit is optimal.  And I'm eating raw meat whenever I can and will be on occasion forced to eat some cooked meat and vegetables to appear normal in society?  Did anyone here cure their depression?  That's what I'm looking for!

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 06:39:12 pm »
Most people here, including myself, will not think that juicing is optimal, especially the juicing of fruit, which basically creates a sugary drink. You are better off eating whole fruit, but even then it's probably best kept to a minimum, say a couple of pieces per day.

I also think, like cherimoya, that vit D3 will help tremendously.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 03:12:58 am »
Carbs of any kind are not good for depressed people. They provide a temporary spike in mood, followed by a "crash".  Fat is the best fuel, it keeps you on an even keel, emotionally.

Offline Charlie4444

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 03:14:12 pm »
I've tried supplementing with Vitamin D, and it's good, but too much of it makes me fell too mellow, and calm, I begin not reacting to anything.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 10:14:10 am »
I suggest the high and most of all spending time in nature. Theres nothing like being in wild for curing your depression. If i go to long without being in the wild  i start to go a little bit nuts like im kind of starting to now.
-----------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk