Author Topic: Project Raw Paleo Footage  (Read 34594 times)

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Project Raw Paleo Footage
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2015, 03:45:10 am »
a cut off saw I think makes it so much easier/quicker

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2015, 09:37:06 am »
Id recommend a long very sharp butcher knife to slit its throat, a lamb skinner knife to take the hide off, a 7 inch boning knife to cut the flesh from the bone, a flexible fillet knife works well to remove the head by cutting the yes joint.

I went out with a professional farm slaughter expert for three months to butcher cows, pigs and sheep, and he only kept 3 knives on his belt, a lamb skinner , beef skinner, and a filet knife. The two of us would have a whole cow shot dead skinned, quartered and winched into a metal box in under an hour.

Then after hanging it in the meat locker for 10 days we would cut it into steaks and make burger with the scraps, using butcher boy saw and a boning knife.

When I butcher for myself I never bother to cut up steaks. I just quarter the animal and hang it in the fridge, then cut off chunks as needed. For small animals you can quarter it with a meat cleaver, but I use a saw, either way will get the job done...

« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 09:48:26 am by sabertooth »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2015, 10:36:32 am »
Ive been working on getting some more clips together from my most recent butchering, My brothers camera has limited capability and so we had to shoot it it small segments, hopefully within the near future I will be able to put together something that would be truly complete do it yourself instructional tutorial .....I had the idea that eventually I would be able to go through the whole step by step process of butchering in a single episode, much in the same manner as Bob Vila explains how to complete a do it yourself project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNBE19R4lTE&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNBE19R4lTE&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pneBv8-845A&feature=youtu.be

The rest should be uploaded in the next few days....

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2015, 11:58:32 am »
I don't know Derick,, I watched as my goats were slaughtered the same way shown here,,,  I'd rather a bullet in the brain, or one of those guns that push a rod into the skull ( thus not leaving bullet fragments).   Have you thought of that method?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2015, 12:31:59 pm »
I don't know Derick,, I watched as my goats were slaughtered the same way shown here,,,  I'd rather a bullet in the brain, or one of those guns that push a rod into the skull ( thus not leaving bullet fragments).   Have you thought of that method?

But if he does that, then he has to talk like Javier Bardem in "No Country for Old Men". It would be a whole thing.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2015, 12:09:40 am »
I agree with Derek, I think killing via knife (or arrow) is actually the most humane way to kill an animal. I co-taught a class on hunting earlier this fall for a group of women, and we slaughtered a goat via this same method. After the slaughter we talked about the process, and we mutually agreed that the gradual (60-90 seconds) process of dying that an animal goes through when its throat is slit allows it to relax into to the process of dying. A sudden gunshot robs the animal of that transition, and seemed excessively violent.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2015, 12:53:59 am »
Err, I would personally prefer to die suddenly than , er, "savour the experience of my death". I am sure that hunters might get a thrill from watching an animal die slowly, but the animal.....? Death is a horrible thing with people, apparently, usually vacating their bowels during the "experience" etc.. A sudden death such as a bullet through the brain is unlikely to be painful given the sheer speed of the bullet. A slower death would involve the animal experiencing the steady shutting down of its organs and  the pain involved(an arrow through the heart can't be too pleasant, surely?).

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
  • It's french for "Cockerel"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2015, 01:11:55 am »
You might believe in this stuff or not, but I saw a documentary on medium and the afterlife, and there was this case of a women being somehow harassed by the spirit of her dead husband, and called in a medium to figure it out. The medium saw that the husband was still wandering in the living's world and interacting with his widow wife because he wasn't even aware that he was dead. The husband had committed suicide in front of his wife by blowing his brains out with a rifle or something, and the blow was so sudden that the man didn't have time to realize he had died. He told the medium he just remembered a powerful heat wave crossing his head, and thought it was strange that his wife was ignoring him since then.

I think we are meant to see our death coming to accept it, and ascend to the next phase. Whether its dying of old age, dying of hunger, of a bite in the neck, of an arrow in the heart,... death was never sudden in the days before bombs and bullets. And perhaps rightly so.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 01:21:22 am by JeuneKoq »

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2015, 01:28:08 am »
Saber, don't you have some more...engaging pictures of you for a profile pic? In all honesty, you just look a bit too crazy to be taken seriously. It's the bloody teeth thing, really.

And I'd avoid filming when the neighbor is mowing the lawn.

Otherwise, looks like you could be on your way to making a catchy video series on Raw Paleo butchering.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 03:45:26 am by JeuneKoq »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2015, 01:50:41 am »

I think we are meant to see our death coming to accept it, and ascend to the next phase. Whether its dying of old age, dying of hunger, of a bite in the neck, of an arrow in the heart,... death was never sudden in the days before bombs and bullets. And perhaps rightly so.
A frightening thought, become a ghost or face a lingering death instead.What about dying suddenly in one's sleep, though?

I know someone who sensed exactly when 2 of her closest companions died. More to do with telepathy than the after-life, but I therefore do accept that  mainstream science does not hold all the answers.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2015, 02:01:17 am »
A frightening thought, become a ghost or face a lingering death instead.What about dying suddenly in one's sleep, though?

I know someone who sensed exactly when 2 of her closest companions died. More to do with telepathy than the after-life, but I therefore do accept that  mainstream science does not hold all the answers.
To me it feels like a necessary challenge to face, like the pain of being born.

And who says people who die in their sleep are not aware of it in the form of a particular kind of dream, or something?

Wandering in a place you're not supposed to be anymore for god knows how long doesn't sound too pleasant either.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2015, 02:49:24 am »
To me it feels like a necessary challenge to face, like the pain of being born.
Except that I, for example,  was born via a Caesarian, so presumably felt no actual pain.

And who says people who die in their sleep are not aware of it in the form of a particular kind of dream, or something?
Maybe those sleeping when dying  were not in a  dream-state at the time?

" Ron Paul.

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2015, 03:31:56 am »
Except that I, for example,  was born via a Caesarian, so presumably felt no actual pain.
I imagine that you did not laugh taking your very first breath.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 03:39:58 am by JeuneKoq »

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2015, 03:37:05 am »

Bullet to the brain does drop the animal quick and without "what we think to be suffering", but I want the brains intact and uncontaminated.

Ive used the knocker rods and it does not kill them instantly, it will drop them down , but you still have to cut their throats afterward to let the heart pump out the rest of the blood, and some of the rams with thick skulls it doesn't go in all the way which can be a horrible way for it to die.

Bleeding out is not so bad a way to go, and is the most natural of the methods I know of..... consider what the dieing prosess truly is, not from a bleeding heart PETA troll, but from the spirit of life itself and how the biology of death unfolds itself in the natural kingdom. The instantaneous death caused by a bullet would almost never occur in nature.... the kind of painful and traumatic experiences of being eating alive by predators must have been the evolutionary norm since the predatory animals first emerged.... this essential horror of life is a part of the natural order.... the biology of prey animals( to an extent we are all prey animals) has evolved a way to cope with this unimaginable suffering, the evidence of which can be seen in our near death experiences.

When an animal bleeds out from a severed jugular, it experiences little acute pain, and when the blood drains to a point when the brain looses the capacity to maintain itself then something remarkable happens.... there is a huge release of endomorphine and DMT which takes whatever conscious awareness of the dying process out of the picture. The final twitches and spasms are unconscious echoes .

The brain of higher animals go through a process death by which the spirit of the animal is set free, often in nature animals can suffer for great periods of time before they are weakened to this point of DMT release, but for the animals I butcher it is only a matter of minuets, and considering that the animals I butcher live their lives entirely unconfined and on pasture, basking in the sun, protected from being attacked and killed by predator animals, there couldnt be a better way to go....

A bullet to the brain allows no time for the release of DMT and endomorphen and so whatever mind the animal has is instantly obliterated without getting to experience the truly blissful realm of heaven which some believe exist only within the death experience. In this realm of near death people who have come back from the brink claim that the experience was transcendental of all space and time, and the bliss was beyond anything we could ever experience in this life.

Sheep Don't fear the reaper, nor to the wind nor the sun or the rain, we can be like they are.....

Saber, don't you have a more...engaging picture of you for a profile pic? In all honesty, you just look a bit too crazy to be taken seriously. It's the bloody teeth thing, really.

And I'd avoid filming when the neighbor is mowing the lawn.

Otherwise, looks like you could be on your way to making a catchy video series on Raw Paleo butchering.

Yeah I haven't had anything to do with the account, which was set up by my brother, and apparently has been used by the many visitors to our home who happened to borrow the laptop, I will be working on tidying it up a bit and once the rest of the clips come through I think it will begin to provide people with a better Idea of what this raw paleo thing is.

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2015, 03:38:06 am »
Maybe those sleeping when dying  were not in a  dream-state at the time?
Maybe. At least some part of their brain must somehow be aware that the body is shutting down.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2015, 08:52:49 am »
Great job on these videos, Derek. Compared to previous videos you made, the lighting was excellent this time. Your narration is just right. The "backyard video" look is not a problem at all - nothing detracted from the content.

I see that you're back with your own last name. Personally, I prefer that.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2015, 08:05:05 pm »
Wonderful presentations, sabertooth...

And don't let the haters tell you how you're supposed to slaughter your animals.

Animals should be slaughtered in whichever way is most convenient and produces the highest quality meat, blood and organs. Obviously you have some experience with this, and have chosen this method, which is also the traditional method for slaughering. A whack to the head has been available since the beginning of time, and yet people didn't choose to do it this way for whatever reason. Hacking off the head with a single axe swoop has been available for hundreds of years, and yet nobody used this method, that I know of.

I get kind of weirded out when people talk about the "humane" way to slaughter animals. What does that even mean? That you're acting like a human when you slaughter it? That you treat it as if it was a human? I find it bizarre. I can see why torturing an animal for fun is not a good idea, but that's as far as I go regarding this. There's a big problem in western societies, where animals are increasingly being seen as little children. They're not. They are property and should be treated as such.

Conversely, there is also too much of children being treated as if they were animals, which encourages all sorts of behavioral problems both in childhood and adulthood, and likely contributes to mental illness as well.

I think both of these phenomenon, but in particular the former, have been partially engineered by companies such as Disney, which constantly depicts animals as little children, and has been doing so for many decades. They even got the rest of the cartoon producers to do the same. Most kids grow up watching a ton of cartoons and playing a lot of video games, and a significant proportion of the characters in these, are depictions of animals that act like children.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 08:19:58 pm by dariorpl »
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2015, 01:11:11 am »
Conversely, there is also too much of children being treated as if they were animals, which encourages all sorts of behavioral problems both in childhood and adulthood, and likely contributes to mental illness as well.
There's this fad of people putting their children on a leash  ;D I saw one at a supermarket, I found it quite pathetic. I guess we do live in a dangerous world where your child can be kidnapped on the corner of the street, or run over, but it sounds to me like these parents just can't be bothered with properly educating their progeny. Why not just hold hands?

There's a big problem in western societies, where animals are increasingly being seen as little children. They're not. They are property and should be treated as such.
They are neither children, nor objects (if this is what you mean by "property"). Animals have a soul, they have a presence. People can treat them like robots, put them away in a box when their task is over, but they will feel sad and hurt like you and I.

(present-day) Western Societies may regard them as children, but there are indigenous tribes that regard plants and animals as fellowman, sometimes as teachers.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 01:53:26 am by JeuneKoq »

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2015, 08:23:04 am »
They are neither children, nor objects (if this is what you mean by "property"). Animals have a soul, they have a presence. People can treat them like robots, put them away in a box when their task is over, but they will feel sad and hurt like you and I.

What I mean is that they are owned. They don't have any rights. You don't put a live animal into a tiny closed box for the same reason that you don't put your gas-fueled power generator in a closed box. It's gonna fill with gases and explode, plus ruin your generator. Likewise, live animals can be ruined by confinement, which is why all of us here prefer to buy meat and other animal products from free range animals that are allowed to move around.

(present-day) Western Societies may regard them as children, but there are indigenous tribes that regard plants and animals as fellowman, sometimes as teachers.

They also frequently engaged in (and cheered on) rape, torture and murder of both adults and children, and cannibalism. Like I said elsewhere, we have the bodies of primitive hunter-gatherers, but the minds of civilized humans.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 09:19:48 am by dariorpl »
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2015, 10:41:52 am »
Oh boy, here we go.

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2015, 07:50:12 pm »
Oh boy, here we go.
All right, we'll stop here if people feel this thread should be for discussing Sabertooth's video project only. Divergence is sometimes tolerated -to some extent- in some threads, but like me you probably have the feeling this will turn into a long ideological debate.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2015, 12:33:17 am »
All right, we'll stop here if people feel this thread should be for discussing Sabertooth's video project only. Divergence is sometimes tolerated -to some extent- in some threads, but like me you probably have the feeling this will turn into a long ideological debate.

Ideological debates are fine between brilliant minds that have thought and studied more deeply than anyone else on the topic. You are Dario are both smart, but neither of you have studied this topic long enough to make this an instructive process for....well, me, at least, and several other members too.

Not to belittle either one of you. You both seem to have plenty of potential for this kind of debate. Just try to keep it civil and factual, OK?

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2015, 03:27:22 am »
Ideological debates are fine between brilliant minds that have thought and studied more deeply than anyone else on the topic. You are Dario are both smart, but neither of you have studied this topic long enough to make this an instructive process for....well, me, at least, and several other members too.

Not to belittle either one of you. You both seem to have plenty of potential for this kind of debate. Just try to keep it civil and factual, OK?
I don't think you need to have such an extensive knowledge to bring something interesting to the discussion. Sometimes the only thing you know about the subject is worth mentioning, and can turn the whole discussion around. It happens.

I only studied social anthropology for 6 months at Uni, but I did learn some things that other people might not know, about some tribe's relationship to animals, for instance.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2015, 04:58:16 am »
That's fine, just be aware that the older, more experienced members are on average just as smart as you, and just as curious.  Plus, we have 10-30 more years of research, reading, etc.. Anything you know, several of us have known for decades, most likely. Not that we're experts on every topic, but this is where our greatest strengths are.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2015, 06:49:50 am »
Err, I would personally prefer to die suddenly than , er, "savour the experience of my death"

You might, given your prejudices regarding what the process of death feels like and what happens next. I've looked in the eyes of a decent number of non-human animals and one human while they died, and I would never wish a sudden death on anyone. Obviously it is unfortunate when animals (including humans) suffer extreme pain during the dying process, but this isn't always the case. Not sure if you've ever suffered a severe cut from a sharp knife, but it actually doesn't hurt all that much. I got a cut on my leg years ago that required 20+ stitches, and I didn't notice it until I felt my pants getting wet from blood. It's quite common for deer hunters to shoot an animal with an arrow and it doesn't even notice. The arrow goes all the way through and the deer looks around as if confused, then 60 seconds later it lies down and is asleep by 90 seconds.

I am sure that hunters might get a thrill from watching an animal die slowly, but the animal.....?

I'm sure there are some hunters that revel in the power they feel when they kill. Same with some military personnel and police officers. That represents a pathology, and is not the norm. I certainly do not receive a thrill from watching animals die.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk