Author Topic: Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam - Food Tips?  (Read 11061 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam - Food Tips?
« on: March 29, 2015, 10:42:34 am »
Family vacation to Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam.

Any food tips?

Raw paleo or cooked paleo?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam - Food Tips?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 11:25:57 am »
Wouldn't they have the same foods as in Manila? It's pretty much the same climate, I think.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 02:54:32 pm »
Raw paleo or cooked paleo?

Why this question? You'll be of course able to eat raw in Ho Chi Minh City!
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 10:03:09 pm »
Wife and 3 kids don't eat raw all the time.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 10:09:12 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INpZt2ndts0

THANK YOU!

The kids watch Gordon Ramsey's Master Chef program so they easily identify with him.

I have seen the first half of the video in Ho Chi Minh and I now can see the possibilities.

Raw Beating Snake heart... interesting...

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 11:41:29 am »
Yeah, you could video yourself eating the foods that Gordon chickened out on or ate and bowed his head on and show yourself handling them with aplomb. You could out-macho the macho Gordon Ramsay, In your usual good-natured way of course. :)

I'll bet the snake heart and bile was served in "snake wine," and with snake wine shots accompanying it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:48:37 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 09:53:26 pm »
Yeah, you could video yourself eating the foods that Gordon chickened out on or ate and bowed his head on and show yourself handling them with aplomb. You could out-macho the macho Gordon Ramsay, In your usual good-natured way of course. :)

I'll bet the snake heart and bile was served in "snake wine," and with snake wine shots accompanying it.
I keep on reading about  various British celebrities like Gordon Ramsay  in the US from you and others. I was shocked, a while back,  to read that you knew about Russell Brand who is an effeminate pseudo and a joke. I then found out that Piers Morgan, a truly pretentious moron, even had a talk-show in the United States. I cringed when I read about his incredibly stupid assault on gun-ownership and the marvellous 2nd Amendment. He sounded so ignorant and opinionated, trying to force his odious, freedom-hating ideas on Americans. Thank God he was hounded out from that job. Now you have got James Corden as well, I hope he won't disgrace us UKers like some others.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 06:06:53 am »
My views are similar (although I think the world would be better off with no weapons more advanced than bows, but that isn't going to happen), but I try not to go on about it, because Americans seem to love these people for some reason beyond my comprehension (although at least Ramsay has more sense about what foods to eat than the vast majority of Americans and more sense and knowledge about the restaurant business than the vast majority of American restaurateurs, which isn't saying much--I must admit I enjoyed it a bit how he failed miserably and was put to shame by the Vietnamese diners and chefs in that video--long overdue comeuppance), and it's not worth arguing with them over it.

Perhaps we are in such a minority because you and I are of an older generation and the younger folk have much different attitudes? I'm trying to keep an open mind and learn from Sabertooth and others why Russell Brand is supposed to be such a gem and not be such an old fuddy duddy about it, but it isn't easy.  I hope this won't give you a heart attack ;) , but Brand is portrayed as something of a revolutionary, sex symbol, hilarious comic and genius here in the states. Please don't ask me why, I still have little idea. :)

Thanks for the heads up on Corden. Hadn't heard of him, and will try to avoid him. I tried to avoid Brand, but he is impossible to avoid here unless you live in a cave. :(

Thanks also for the news on Morgan. Didn't know he was sacked. Don't pay much attention to him.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 06:27:00 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 11:06:06 am »
My Report as a first time tourist in Saigon / Ho Chi Minh.

Vietnam has amazing fruits.  Their markets have them, specialty fruit stores have them.  Their tourist streets have them on carts, in tables, and on motorcycles!  Refreshments have them. 

I pigged out on durian.  Tasted 3 different varieties.

The family pigged out on various fruits... so much to taste.

Their atis was plump / big / meaty my wife was so impressed we brought home some with us.  And we are currently going to try to plant these seeds and grow yummy atis from Vietnam in our garden.

We also brought home Vietnam honey.

I'm wondering now how much more wonderful Vietnam fruits would have been if Agent Orange had not been used by the Americans in their war against Vietnam.

On raw animal food, we found raw duck eggs which the entire family had.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:32:51 am by goodsamaritan »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 11:55:55 am »
Holy wow. I would eat myself sick every day there. LOL

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 11:55:06 pm »
I'm wondering now how much more wonderful Vietnam fruits would have been if Agent Orange had not been used by the Americans in their war against Vietnam.

Probably not much different than any other place.
Unfortunately both components of Agent Orange were heavily used in many countries.  In the US 2,4,5-T was used as recently as 1985.  And 2,4-D is still in use today not only in the US but many places esp 3rd world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,4,5-Trichlorophenoxyacetic_acid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic_acid

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 10:59:10 am »
"components" of agent orange is not equal to agent orange.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk