Author Topic: Fake raw Manuka honey warning  (Read 10124 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Fake raw Manuka honey warning
« on: May 05, 2015, 12:55:51 am »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3066381/Is-superfood-honey-FAKE-jars-manuka-sold-world-produced-New-Zealand.html

Manuka honey is often mislabelled as being raw in the UK. It is also mostly fake, not being manuka honey at all, judging from the article. What I mean is, we have to be more and more careful about the provenance of our raw foods, whether animal- or plant-based.The food-prodcuers just love to lie to us all the time.
In the UK, to certify honey as being so-called "raw", all one has to do is heat the honey for "only" a short period to a temperature below 80 degrees Celsius(!) and it can be labelled raw!

What we need is a time-worn method to determine the difference between grassfed and grainfed without having to buy it first, etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Fake raw Manuka honey warning
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 03:12:47 am »
raw hone is usually bubbly
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 04:10:53 am »
I find that raw honey tends to dry up my mouth immediately, much more so than pasteurized honey. That's how I tell them apart.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 04:34:39 am »
I could never tell the difference. When I ate raw heather  honeycomb, I was fine until I started eating too much of it, after which I got a burning sensation in my mouth. I got this burning sensation in my mouth always after eating any so-called raw , liquid honey from a bottle, which is why I suspected they were never raw.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 10:31:07 am »
I think once pure honey has been heated to a certain temperature, it will never crystallize, while pure raw honey will always crystallize after some time. I don't know if this is reliable for telling them apart, or how hot they have to be heated to create enough damage to prevent crystallization from ever occurring. And I'm sure soon they will come up with some chemical that makes heated honey crystallize anyway.

In the meantime, and until I find a better way to tell them apart, I will only buy honey that is already crystallized.

As a personal experience, a friend and I used to buy honey from a shady supplier who was selling what she claimed was organic honey, and it would always come already crystallized. Once in the summer, after a week or two of temperatures ranging from 35C to 40C (95 to 104F) in the city (likely lower in the countryside, but we didn't ask where it was coming from, so it may have been somewhere where temperatures got a bit higher than that), we ordered four 1 kilo jars and they came in liquid form. When asked about it, the seller said it was just because they had harvested it that week and that it would crystallize quickly if we put it in the fridge. That was 6 months ago, and the two I got never crystallized. My friend ate his anyway since he's not that into raw and he was having it with tea anyway, but he agreed that the taste was different and worse. I think that maybe they were exposed to the sun during or after extraction during those hot days, and that that may have heated the honey to the point of no return. Or maybe just temperatures as low as those 40C (104F) in the shade are enough to destroy it's ability to crystallize. Or maybe it was a coincidence, and while this honey was heated more during extraction, it had nothing to do with the weather and the temperatures required for this to occur are much higher.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 01:58:08 pm by dariorpl »
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 02:08:34 pm »
In Austria, organic honey is a big thing but actually raw honey is impossible to get unless you know a beekeeper personally. I have found a cheapish source of raw honey from Germany so that's OK. They promise that the honey is like it is in the hive, ie with propolis and pollen in it. They also claim to extract the honey only at the average hive temperature(c. 22 degrees Celsius), as opposed to doing it at the extreme 40 degrees Celsius level limit allowed for raw honey producers.
" Ron Paul.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 02:49:47 pm »
Do they have a website? I'd like to learn more about how they are extracting it at such low temperatures.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 07:26:24 pm »
Some unheated raw honeys relatively high in fructose take a very long time to crystallize, which I have posted about before. Honeys that are not prone to rapid crystallization include tupelo, fir, pine, basswood, acacia, neem and sourwood tree honeys. Some require more than a year to crystallize and white tupelo honey reportedly never crystallizes. (http://www.floridatupelohoney.com/tupelofacts.cfm)
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 09:01:26 pm »
Do they have a website? I'd like to learn more about how they are extracting it at such low temperatures.
This is all I found:-

http://happygorilla.de/product_info.php/akazienhonig-roh-500g-p-93
" Ron Paul.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 09:31:43 pm »
How much honey do you guys eat?  Its like a twice a year thing to have a mouthful of it here.  Some of the local organic farmers at the farmers market will sell comb they cut themselves and I trust that its totally raw other than where the hot knife cut the edges, they dont have the budget or time for tools to do otherwise.  If i couldnt get that it wouldnt really matter, I dont live where it makes sense for honey to be part of the diet.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 09:40:53 pm »
Good thing you came up with this thread.  I remembered now I have some wild honey comb in the freezer.

After eating the wild honeycomb with the baby bees in them I do believe this is how nature meant for us to eat honey.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 10:10:18 pm »
How much honey do you guys eat?  Its like a twice a year thing to have a mouthful of it here.  Some of the local organic farmers at the farmers market will sell comb they cut themselves and I trust that its totally raw other than where the hot knife cut the edges, they dont have the budget or time for tools to do otherwise.  If i couldnt get that it wouldnt really matter, I dont live where it makes sense for honey to be part of the diet.

I go several months without any honey, then eat 2-8 tablespoons a day for a couple of weeks. Rinse and repeat.

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
  • It's french for "Cockerel"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 10:41:15 pm »
If i couldnt get that it wouldnt really matter, I dont live where it makes sense for honey to be part of the diet.
What do you mean? Do you say that because you live somewhere temperate?

The honey available to you is local, isn't it?

I'm not necessarily saying that it is indispensable, but it doesn't make sense to me to deny yourself such food, when in season. Such a prized food, too. Just remember to keep aware of the sensory stop, and acknowledge the fact that the signal may (or may not) be milder than with other more common types of food*, which could lead to overeating.

*(in regard to Dominique Guyaux's observations of the dietary senses http://www.guyaux.fr/images/memoire_guyaux.pdf <warning: it's all in french)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 12:15:50 am by JeuneKoq »

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 01:01:05 am »
having only seen a handful, maybe even only three, wild hives in my life, i cant imagine id ever be able to source it for myself in much quantity, and that it would be a rare treat in a more wild, natural life.  i guess i am similar to cherimoya kid in that i eat quantities of it for a short period, maybe even only a day or two, and then am done.  its definitely not something i would want to eat daily, or monthly even.  i do find that it seems to fill its specific, ultra nutrient and calorie dense niche and has some intense calming and strengthening qualities.  this post only made me curious about the honey eating habits of people on the forum, and it just seems odd to obtain honey from afar and eat it regularly, or to eat honey regularly in general, espseically if you cant source it locally.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 05:40:05 am »
This is all I found:-

http://happygorilla.de/product_info.php/akazienhonig-roh-500g-p-93
Were you able to confirm that Happy Gorilla's honey is truly raw? How do you fare with it (any side effects or benefits?) and how is the taste?

Can you recommend any English-language sellers of raw honey?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:53:22 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 04:15:03 pm »
Were you able to confirm that Happy Gorilla's honey is truly raw? How do you fare with it (any side effects or benefits?) and how is the taste?

Can you recommend any English-language sellers of raw honey?
No idea, I have not tried it yet but plan to next month. No idea re english-language sellers either as I am long gone from the UK.
" Ron Paul.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 12:32:24 pm by jessica »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2015, 10:11:14 pm »
http://www.wildabouthoney.co.uk/

http://www.wildabouthoney.co.uk/products/raw-arbutus-bitter-honey-1-kilo
Thanks Jessica. Is the arbutus bitter honey your favorite? It looks like they are out of stock. Have you tried the eucalyptus honey?

I see that the Portugese arbutus and eucalyptus trees/shrubs are evergreens. I've been noticing that evergreen trees/shrubs tend to produce healthful foods, with claims of benefits for the immune system and aging. The bitterness and health benefits (http://www.mr-loto.it/nutrition/arbutus.html,
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3257634) of arbutus berries made me wonder if the tree/shrub was regarded as sacred, as the rowan tree with its bitter medicinal berries was. Sure enough, it was: http://www.theoi.com/Flora2.html

Eucalyptus raw honey is another one that reportedly tends to crystallize slowly, along with longan and leatherwood. Arbutus honey reportedly crystallizes faster.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 12:23:36 am »
ive never tried any of there honey paleophil, it was just a coincidence that i came across that page so i thought i would post it. 

i dont eat honey all that often and, to be honest, i am not a fan of anything other than

http://shop.nativeseeds.org/collections/frontpage/products/shf500

http://shop.nativeseeds.org/collections/vendors?q=Sahuaro%20Honey%20Farms

which is produced on my friends farm down in cascabel arizona.  the farm is very remote and full of ancient mesquite and suhuaro cactus, producing the most delicate, deliciously sweet and creamy honey ever.  i havent had any since i lived down there but i can tell you it is of the best quality and nothing since has quite compared.  which is probably why i dont eat more honey.  i cant afford it, but if i could i would buy a few jars to stock up on.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk