Author Topic: High Chicken  (Read 7160 times)

Offline Victor K

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
High Chicken
« on: June 13, 2015, 12:24:37 am »
What is high chicken supposed to taste like? I've been eating small bites of two week old chicken thighs and the taste... It's not good. It taste a little toxic and smells that way too. It's been in a sealed mason jar in the refrigerator with plenty of air. I've been letting it air out every couple days. Also the chicken tastes great raw and fresh. I just expected high chicken to taste more cheesy.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: High Chicken
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 12:38:26 am »
Chicken is almost always grainfed. Do not eat raw chicken unless you are certain that the chicken are fed on worms and insects to a great extent. I far prefer raw wild mallard duck as their wild nature guarantees an excellent diet.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 05:19:05 am »
What color was the chicken you started with? White meat is a modern invention. Chicken should be yellow fat (although some breeds are white fatted) and have pretty red colored meat.

Offline Victor K

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 04:42:39 am »
I can't get fresh wild mallard duck here in Alberta Canada. I understand chicken is not optimal but I don't have other options for white meat. Any specialty meats are frozen besides bison. I'll continue to look around though maybe I'll find something.

The fat is yellow. The meat is more pink than red.

But about the high meat. What does it usually smell like?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 04:55:53 am »
...I understand chicken is not optimal but I don't have other options for white meat.

I'm wondering why you have a particular need for white meat. All chicken that I have access to has been cornfed, and I have problems with that, so I avoid chicken. My main meat is lamb from a ranch that I have visited often.

In regards to high meat, if you get a batch that doesn't appeal to your taste or smell, it's okay to throw it out and start again. That even happens to me when I ferment cabbage - some batches are not to my liking.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline FRANCIS HOWARD BOND

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 04:10:00 pm »
Agree with Eveheart, if you do not like it throw it away and start again, but might be worth leaving a bit longer as cheesy flavor mellows with time.   Never give up too soon, or risk wasting something you have waited some time to enjoy.

Offline lb_on_the_cb

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 11:23:43 pm »
i heard a podcast about this "high meat" and i cant believe anyone actually eats this stuff.   sounds disgusting.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 12:17:17 am »
It's pretty great actually, though you may have to dig deep down within yourself to find the creature who enjoys it.

Took a while for me to truly embrace and chew on a piece of high chicken. It's far better than moldy cheese.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 05:17:18 am »
High goose meat was by far my favorite high meat.

A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 06:08:57 am »
That must also be HIGH on fat?

Offline Victor K

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 10:11:14 am »
Update: The reason the high meat tasted disgusting was because I was using Bernadin Mason Jars which have a metal lid with a coating. The humidity from the meat eats the coating and the lids rust. Even if the lids weren't visibly rusting the batch of high meat I made did not turn out and tasted toxic. I would NOT use mason jars with metal lids to make high meat.

I now use a jar that is 100% glass, lid and all, to make my high meat and it turns out much different.

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 06:21:56 pm »
Glad you found what was wrong.   Rusty meat or high meat does not sound good and is probably unhealthy.    Hope you can now enjoy your high meat, high chicken and high fish without nasty taste and possible health hazard.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk