Author Topic: Is slow cooking on low temp ok?  (Read 9713 times)

Offline marcuspaleo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Is slow cooking on low temp ok?
« on: July 14, 2015, 01:38:16 am »
Im finding all this raw meat/fat eating quite hard. Sometimes I feel better eating it, sometimes worse. I nearly always feel better after I slow cook my food. Its so tasty and easy to digest. I made some super fatty pineapple pork steaks and cooked them on low for about 6 hours and could swallow them effortlessly like a pelican. Eating that amount raw would be stressful and take me about an hour. If I roasted them id be in pain and exhausted for hours. Is it ok to eat low temp slow cooked food? Is it far worse than raw? Should i perhaps do both?

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Is slow cooking on low temp ok?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 02:24:43 am »
It's definitely not raw, but I'm someone who eats cooked and raw foods. I like my pork ribs slow cooked and slathered in locally brewed bbq sauce, but I also like eating a piece of steak or chicken sliced up against the grain. Took me a while to like the raw meat as much as I do, but now I eat raw every morning and evening. I still enjoy a plate of cooked meat a few times each week.

Just don't let it get in the way of overcoming your aversion. Do your best to relax when eating food: breathe well, don't allow yourself to make any faces, and actually make an effort to taste the complexity in the food. I've also noticed it's better not to eat dairy before a meat meal, dairy tends to spoil my appetite because it's filling and tastes better. I find it's better to eat meat on an empty stomach or after a couple eggs.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 03:01:00 am by actup90 »

Offline marcuspaleo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 03:11:41 am »
Thanks for the advice. Its really frustrating because eating raw makes perfect sense, but i still get bad pain and discomfort when doing so, and im not better after many months of raw meat eating. And its not just about taste, its the pain -  Id happily eat a large plate of raw dog shit every day for the rest of my life if i could just feel better. Certainly eating 200 grams of roasted pork would keel me over in pain and exhaustion which is incomparable to the raw meat pain, but the pain is still significant enough to deter me from eating animal products, and yet this is what im told is the cure.

Switching to raw dairy has made a huge difference, but I havent had that instant acceptance of raw meat like AV had ("near death experience") or Sabertooth (who said he was better in 2 weeks).  I just dont know whether the pain will go away if i keep eating it as it will heal me, or whether im just tormenting myself by forcing myself to eat it. I dont know whether i need to eat more (Ive heard i should eat up to 3 pounds of meat), or increase it slowly.

I know many cultures ate cooked and uncooked animal products. Maybe i should just do that. We are all unique too. Seafood makes me sick and has done since i was a kid.

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 03:30:39 am »
Aajonus was eating rotten meat first I believe? And he had also been drinking raw milk for years before he started on raw meat too if I remember correctly. Some people have trouble with cows milk. I started on goat milk and a lot of fermented vegetables and kefir as well as a lot of raw honey. I suggest boosting your digestive system with probiotics and enzyme rich foods. Also raw fish would likely be easier to digest than raw meat. Also raw whey followed by raw eggs are the easiest foods of all to digest. Mercolla suggested the optimal diet for muscle gain was 5 servings of raw whey a day and only one solid food meal at the end of the day.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 03:34:31 am »
How large are the pieces you're eating? Try slicing it up into small pieces, against the grain.

Where are you feeling pain? In your gut?

Offline marcuspaleo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 03:49:05 am »
How large are the pieces you're eating? Try slicing it up into small pieces, against the grain.

Where are you feeling pain? In your gut?

The pieces are really small. I even blend them into mash with some honey and avocado. Size definately isn't an issue

The pain is in my midsection. I actually feel it in my back, not in my front at all. Its unbearable and has been for years. Most nights it wakes me up. It got really bad after a tried a cooked paleo diet for 5 months. Of course, no medical tests show anything, but the location is either my stomach, liver, gallbladder or pancreas. Ive studied the digestive tract and the pain definitely radiates from an organ related to digestion. I really just want to sip on juices and eat fruit and nuts.

Offline marcuspaleo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 03:51:01 am »
Aajonus was eating rotten meat first I believe? And he had also been drinking raw milk for years before he started on raw meat too if I remember correctly. Some people have trouble with cows milk. I started on goat milk and a lot of fermented vegetables and kefir as well as a lot of raw honey. I suggest boosting your digestive system with probiotics and enzyme rich foods. Also raw fish would likely be easier to digest than raw meat. Also raw whey followed by raw eggs are the easiest foods of all to digest. Mercolla suggested the optimal diet for muscle gain was 5 servings of raw whey a day and only one solid food meal at the end of the day.

AV did have a little bit of rotten meat, but he said he ate 3.5 pounds of rabbit and felt great. That was the tipping point. Then he started eating raw meat of all sorts in the desert before hitting up farmers for milk and other met cuts. For him the benefits were instantaneous.

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 04:05:54 am »
That's not true, he started drinking carrot juice and raw milk when he was eighteen and I believe it was 7 years later he ate the rabbit. Mabee he was 19 or so I when he drank the milk it's been years since I read the book but I am certain he started drinking raw milk long before he ate the rabbit.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 04:33:01 am »
I even blend them into mash with some honey and avocado. Size definately isn't an issue

Maybe just eat the meat by itself. Honey Avocado Meat sounds like a recipe for intense detox.

The pain is in my midsection. I actually feel it in my back, not in my front at all...

Does it feel like a cramp? Heat? Tearing?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 11:53:25 am by actup90 »

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 10:34:09 am »
As a side note, slow cooker "low" and slow cooker "high" both bring food to the same boiling point. The only difference is speed to attain boiling. "Low" heats up more slowly, the object being to have food ready in about 8 hours. "High" heats up quickly so that food is cooked in about 3 hours. Convenience for the cook.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline marcuspaleo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 11:24:07 am »

Does it feel like a cramp? Heat? Tearing?

It feels like really bad inflammation. Many years ago Id have periods where i fasted and felt a lot better, then id eat, and after a few days id feel like id been poisoned. I thought it was a food allergy but spent years on that theory. Its not so much what i was eating, but some fundamental flaw in my digestive tract. Of course, what im eating may be able to heal it or make it worse, but my reaction was not to a certain food stuff itself.

Offline marcuspaleo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 11:26:08 am »
That's not true, he started drinking carrot juice and raw milk when he was eighteen and I believe it was 7 years later he ate the rabbit. Mabee he was 19 or so I when he drank the milk it's been years since I read the book but I am certain he started drinking raw milk long before he ate the rabbit.

Thats true, yes. I meant his real diet epiphany started with the rabbit. The milk and carrot juice improved him, but he was still without answers and even went to die in the desert. It was when he ate the rabbit that he knew he had found the answer. Thats what im looking for: the answer, whatever it may be.

Offline marcuspaleo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 02:24:44 pm »
Was just watching a video by Paul Check on youtube called "what is the best diet" At the end he says that in his extensive experience many people do not have the digestive power to digest an all raw diet and a mix of cooked and raw foods can be best. He basically concludes that the best diet is a "flex-a-tarian" diet; In other words, we all have different requirements based on lifestyle, stress, genetics etc.  Even the two authorities im appealing too on this raw meat diet experiment disagree greatly: AV eats shit loads of dairy, and Sabertooth cant eat it at all.

Can anyone comment is his assertion that cooked food can be easier for those to digest? This assertion directly contradicts claims made by AV and others on this forum. I have certainly found that slow cooked meat is far easier for me to absorb

(about 26 in)
youtube.com/watch?v=mZ4cRRrAqEM
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 02:36:26 pm by marcuspaleo »

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 09:23:58 pm »
...Even the two authorities im appealing too on this raw meat diet experiment disagree greatly: AV eats shit loads of dairy, and Sabertooth cant eat it at all.

Why would you trust an "authority" when you have enough information to gather your own results? I can't follow AV, either. My conclusion is that I'm not him! No debate needed.

Personally, I settle all debate with what's reasonable to me in terms of an ancestral diet. In other words, I eat what I imagine I would be eating before all the authorities came along with their conflicting dogma.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline lb_on_the_cb

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 12:34:54 am »
Can anyone comment is his assertion that cooked food can be easier for those to digest?

to me i could see that cooked food, esp vegetables like potatoes, broccoli  etc could be easier to digest because the particle size is reduced and surface area increased - for ex white potatoes will just crumble after boiling.  I doubt my digestive system could reduce a raw potato as effectively.  But then what effect will the loss of enzymes have and what is the long term effect of having all the protein, minerals, vitamins etc heated say beyond the boiling point?  are all of these damaged?  certainly our bodies were designed to eat raw food

for your mid-section pains on eating i would consider a series of liver/gallbladder flushes if you haven't already and also dont rule out parasites.   the website  "cure zone dot com"  has good sections on this kind of thing and other people can help you there

Offline Carne Cruda

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 08:53:24 pm »
Should i perhaps do both?
Yeah, that is what I would do (and I do, indeed).

I personally have stopped eating raw pork or raw chicken, but I don't eat them often anyway.
Instead I still eat beef raw most of the time, but in many of those instances I actually eat grounded beef.

Do you have any problems with raw ground beef too?
I'd say it's pretty easy to digest (probably the thing I digest the best) and quick enough to eat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk