Author Topic: Iconic raw-meat-eating scenes in films/TV+texts about eating raw meat  (Read 117374 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
I thought this would be a good thread for people to post any raw-meat-eating scenes in movies and TV that they can remember (or come across in the future). For example, here is my contribution:-

1 hour and 27 minutes into the movie Capricorn One, an astronaut is shown killing and eating a rattlesnake, all raw without cooking. I like the notion that the only astronaut who is able to escape, of the trio, is the only one who has the brains to eat raw meat(from a snake) in order to survive.

(Rules of the thread:- You're not allowed to post about obvious sensationalist scenes like Bear Grylls eating raw animals just for thrills. Also, any werewolf-/cannibal-/horror-movies don't count as they usually feature a monster eating raw flesh.The latter rule re horror movies is relaxed, I guess, if people really can't think of other raw-meat-related scenes).

« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:30:41 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Iconic raw meat eating scenes in the movies/TV
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 06:47:38 pm »
Here's a very amusing raw-meat-related scene from the movie "Bringing Up Baby", where Cary Grant goes into a butchers', is asked how he wants the meat cooked, and says he wants it raw and that it's for "Baby":-

(Scroll to c.8 minutes 34 seconds into the video to watch the raw-meat-related segment. RAFers will find this particularly funny)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA1TEbOykro&feature=related

(Also there's an amusing very short exchange at 10 minutes 15 seconds into the above video)

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 05:09:06 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:04:16 pm »
weve had this thead before i think. I mentioned the scene in Empire of the Sun where the main character grows weevils in his gruel as directed by the POW doctor for 'protein' and eats them live. My all time favourite movie.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 01:19:15 am »
Did we? I can't remember. Well, I think it's an amusing subject and I presume that the previous time it was raised was when the group was very new.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 05:48:38 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Rob

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 01:40:00 am »
"Shoot to Kill," with Tom Berenger, Sidney Poitier, and Kirstie Alley. Kirstie Alley is held captive by the villain and she catches fish for them out of the river. The bad guy says something about not letting her use fire and she says, "Fine, then we'll have sushi," and she just starts chewing on the fish.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:30:39 am by TylerDurden »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 02:00:33 am »
That reminds me, in the film "Castaway", Tom Hanks spears a fish and eats it raw.
" Ron Paul.

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 12:09:33 pm »
In Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom the Indians eat raw bugs, snakes and monkey brains

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 05:49:40 pm »
In Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom the Indians eat raw bugs, snakes and monkey brains

Are you sure they were raw, not cooked?
" Ron Paul.

Offline Flymaster

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 06:51:17 pm »
'Rosemary's Baby' - Mia Farrow eats a plate of raw liver out of the fridge  -d.  Grossed me out at the time, but now I almost do the same myself (light searing of the outside, for appearances sake, you understand.)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 06:57:21 pm »
In the Dukes of Hazzard TV series, Boss Hogg, the chief villain, is often shown eating raw liver. The implication is that someone who eats raw meat must be a villain.
" Ron Paul.

William

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 11:12:13 pm »
In "The Snow Walker" located just East of Stefansson country, there are two scenes IIRC. One is the same as the fish-eating described by Stefansson, the other is snacking on bits while butchering a caribou.

BTW this is a great movie for close-as-possible to Paleo ways, as the female star, a real Inuk, plays an Inuk of the traditional culture and she obviously knows what she is doing.

This movie is a gold mine for paleo stuff, including a "gathering" (female behaviour & tool) scene. I'll give it away - she "gathers" a burrowing animal that she calls a "sik-sik". It looked to me like unto at groundhog/woodchuck. Not roots or berries; the Inuit knew better than to waste their time on carbs.

There is also a scene showing drying carbou meat and rendering the fat; I don't remember this as having been described by Stefansson.

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 09:38:59 am »
Are you sure they were raw, not cooked?

The snakes were still alive!

Satya

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 10:55:16 am »
In "The Snow Walker" located just East of Stefansson country, there are two scenes IIRC. One is the same as the fish-eating described by Stefansson, the other is snacking on bits while butchering a caribou.

I haven't seen that one.  There is one movie about the people on the top of the earth, and I can't remember the name of it (and maybe since you know this one and Never Cry Wolf, you may know this too).  It has whale hunting in it, and the male lead gets seriously mauled by a wolf.  This wolf encounter was foreseen bay an elder (?iirc).  His woman fixes him up, and sews animal skin on part of his face as he is really messed up by the attack.  They had a baby too, so she had to work her butt off to help her mate recover and care for baby and deal with a harsh environment.  Good movie, but I can't recommend it without a name.  Anyone know?

William

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 01:41:24 pm »
I haven't seen that one, but a newspaper offered a $5,000 reward to anyone who had credible evidence of a wolf ever attacking anyone in Canada, this starting ~1930, when that was serious money.
It was never claimed.

Offline seesawsemiology

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 05:11:23 pm »
gee, thanks hari0001.
i feel like there has to be a scene in "ravenous" , i think its a funny movie for any RAFers...

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 10:07:27 pm »
I love Ravenous. Of course, it's human flesh so not really something most here get into, but yes at times they eat it raw. The main character after he gets away from the main villian by jumping down a mountain and breaking his leg is lying there for days next to his dead fellow soldier and eventually starts eating him raw.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 05:23:54 am »
The snakes were still alive!

I stand corrected, it's years since I saw the movie, and all I remember is a guy plucking eyeballs  from a dead sheep(which I'd mistakenly thought were cooked).
" Ron Paul.

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 08:08:28 am »
There is the movie "Alive", the true story about the soccer team who had their plane crash in South America and were forced to canabalise the dead to survive.

Offline MaverickHunter40245

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 12:04:55 pm »
I may be branching out a little by mentioning a video game, but there is Konami's Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, which is a stealth action game which takes place in a jungle controlled by the USSR, and finding food to keep your stamina up is a significant part of the game.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 05:29:07 pm »
In the movie "Heartbreakers" Sigourney Weaver is a conwoman trying to marry a rich man, played by Gene Hackman. There's a dinner-scene where Sigourney Weaver eats a dish of steak tartare and Gene Hackman gets horny and  says "I love a woman who eats raw meat!"
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 01:17:34 am »
I may be branching out a little by mentioning a video game, but there is Konami's Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, which is a stealth action game which takes place in a jungle controlled by the USSR, and finding food to keep your stamina up is a significant part of the game.

nice, that's a good game series

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 09:53:46 pm »
In star trek deep space 9, the klingons are shown to eat and even prefer raw food that's live and wriggling (such as "gakh") etc. I think the implication is that raw meat-eating encourages aggression and bravery in a species.

In the tv series, "Supernatural", there's an episode in the 4th season, "metamorphosis", where a human becomes a type of monster(a "Rougarou") after eating raw human flesh.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 05:03:42 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 12:57:25 am »
There is a Mr. Bean episode where he orders steak tartare - and does not enjoy it all that much.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 05:55:10 am »
there's a commercial for verizon or something playing right now on TNT that shows charles barkley and dwayne wade (NBA) getting served live prawns at some chinese restaurant. yao ming recomends they eat the head.

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 08:36:35 am »
In Lord of the Rings, Gollum catches a fish and eats it raw.

In the opening scene of Apocolypto, they hunt down a hog and divy up the organs eating them raw on the spot, including the balls... altho that was just a prank. 

Also, in the Temple of Doom, does the "KAHH LIH MAHH!" dude eat the heart?

When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk