Author Topic: Suggestions needed for rawpaleodiet.com  (Read 7674 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Suggestions needed for rawpaleodiet.com
« on: May 17, 2009, 02:20:49 am »
OK, once goodsamaritan gets back on the 20th of May, I'll start updating rawpaleodiet.com with some of my new ideas, a few days after that.

The first new article will be more or less a rehash of what I've already written in the child boards of this forum re how to adapt to an RVAF diet, perhaps with an extended(or separate) section for RVAF newbies on how to handle social situations with SAD-eaters(ideas welcome). I may set up a separate thread on RVAF-style hygiene/toothbrushing/washing, but only if enough RVAFers on this website/board provide me with decent material, enough to fill 1 page. Otherwise, it's not worth it.

I'll also, very slowly, start doing prolonged reviews of various books which are vaguely related to rawpalaeo doctrine, such as the Stefansson book "Not by bread alone", weston-price's work, and, eventually, reviews of michael eades' books, the 2 aajonus books, cordain  etc(although, IMO, cordain's and audette's books are largely worthless as they're mass-market pulp,  intended to be read by morons). All these reviews  will take months as I have other things on my mind.

I would prefer it if others, not me,  could post here  their own suggestions re exercise. My own view is that the only suitable "Palaeo" exercise would be along the lines of bodyweight training in a general sense, with various martial arts and other aerobic exercise being OK. Anaerobic exercise, such as weight-lifting would likely be non-Palaeo as it wasn't practised too much in Palaeo time(well, other than lifting rocks). But if you disagree re this, feel free to make that clear with a detailed explanation.

If anyone can think of anything else that might be suitable for the rawpaleodiet.com website, either write your suggestion in this thread, or post to me privately. I would appreciate further testimonials from people re a RAF/RVAF diet. You DON'T have to post photos or your name, if that's your preference, so don't worry about that.

I'll also seriously consider putting in some serious articles from palaeoanthropologists about Palaeolithic art/culture/lifestyle. I hope no one has any objections.

TD
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:03:45 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

JaX

Re: Suggestions needed for rawpaleodiet.com
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 04:23:58 am »
Sounds very good.

But I gotta mention I think the old design http://old.rawpaleodiet.com/ looks a lot better than the new word press edition. The current site looks more like a blog than a main site and it's difficult to get an overview over all articles and the categories.

Satya

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 08:41:42 am »
Thank you very much.  That was my design.  My idea and I probably never should have given it away.  Yeah, blogging software makes no sense for an informational site.  Oh well, c'est la vie! 

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 11:43:04 pm »
Sounds very good.

But I gotta mention I think the old design http://old.rawpaleodiet.com/ looks a lot better than the new word press edition. The current site looks more like a blog than a main site and it's difficult to get an overview over all articles and the categories.

I agree.  The new version is awful.  The look is sterile and the format does not lend itself to the content.  It doesn't draw you in and intice you to look around like the old site.  You'd also never know it was a sister site to this forum. I think it is so bad that I no longer send people to the site for information.  I don't want them to think that I have anything to do with it.

Tyler, your ideas are pretty good, but I don't think the new format will do them justice.  It will just be another mediocre blog in a sea of blogs - nothing to set it apart and make it unique and draw the reader in, but that's just my opinion.

Lex

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 12:56:24 am »
OK, I agree the new design looks frightful and is difficult to navigate. Trouble is, that we also need a site which is easy to update on a regular basis. Perhaps we could persuade GS to keep the old rawpaleodiet.com site but to enable the wordpress version c.2-5 days every  month or 2 or 3  months, so as to allow people like me to update the site, within that period, while leaving things as they are the rest of the time.

The main issue I have is this:- those Palaeo cave-paintings are not only very beautiful but also  extremely symbolic with the Palaeolithic era  and people, throughout history, have always related more to symbols than anything else. It's sort of like having a pro-Christian website but without having  a Cross shown. I would prefer all those cave-paintings back.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 12:47:53 pm »
Tyler,
Word Press isn't the only program out there.  Maybe it would be worthwhile to look around and see if we can't find something that is both reasonably easy to update as well as maintain a look and feel more appropriate to the subject of the site. 

Has anyone bothered to look for a different solution?

Lex

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 07:29:57 pm »

I'll also, very slowly, start doing prolonged reviews of various books which are vaguely related to rawpalaeo doctrine, such as the Stefansson book "Not by bread alone", weston-price's work, and, eventually, reviews of michael eades' books, the 2 aajonus books, cordain  etc(although, IMO, cordain's and audette's books are largely worthless as they're mass-market pulp,  intended to be read by morons). All these reviews  will take months as I have other things on my mind.
That's an unfortunate view about Audette's NeanderThin, as it is the only book which mentions the Paleo diet and the theory of biological discordance and advocates eating lots of animal fats and eating nearly-raw meat (Audette just briefly seared the outsides of his steaks and also ate beef jerky, which is dried raw beef, though I don't know at what temp. he dried it at). So it seems to be the closest thing to a RPD book ever written, despite some amateur errors.

The books of Stefansson, Weston Price and Aajonus don't really claim to be Paleo and vary too much from a Paleo diet to be put into that category. Boyd Eaton's Paleolithic Prescription is the only other book that claims to be Paleo, but it's diet is much less like the RPD than Audette's. So up till now, Audette's book is the closest thing to a RPD book.

I really don't consider the mass market point to be a negative, because all of these books were aimed at laymen (ie., the mass market), rather than academicians and diet books tend to be mass market by their nature. They couldn't make any significant revenues from them or convince a lot of the masses if they weren't. Audette's book was written by a layman for laymen. So he accomplished its purpose.

I just ordered a book by Roy Mankovitz after akaikumo suggested it. If it turns out to be a better fit for RPD than NeanderThin, I'll let you know.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 08:24:12 am »
That's an unfortunate view about Audette's NeanderThin, as it is the only book which mentions the Paleo diet and the theory of biological discordance and advocates eating lots of animal fats and eating nearly-raw meat (Audette just briefly seared the outsides of his steaks and also ate beef jerky, which is dried raw beef, though I don't know at what temp. he dried it at). So it seems to be the closest thing to a RPD book ever written, despite some amateur errors.

The books of Stefansson, Weston Price and Aajonus don't really claim to be Paleo and vary too much from a Paleo diet to be put into that category. Boyd Eaton's Paleolithic Prescription is the only other book that claims to be Paleo, but it's diet is much less like the RPD than Audette's. So up till now, Audette's book is the closest thing to a RPD book.

I really don't consider the mass market point to be a negative, because all of these books were aimed at laymen (ie., the mass market), rather than academicians and diet books tend to be mass market by their nature. They couldn't make any significant revenues from them (whether for profit or "humanitarian" purposes) or convince a lot of the masses if they weren't. Audette's book was written by a layman for laymen. So he accomplished its purpose.

I just ordered a book by Roy Mankovitz after akaikumo suggested it. If it turns out to be a better fit for RPD than NeanderThin, I'll let you know.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 03:46:02 pm »
If you read ray audette's book in detail you'll find that while he grudgingly admits that raw meat seems best he still actively warns to cook it because of the bacteria-parasite issue.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 10:58:36 pm »
Found the time and found a suitable customizable theme framework.

Please visit http://www.rawpaleodiet.com/

I've made the about page the front page just like the old website.

Will try to find more time to fix up the rest of the pages.

Will probably wind up with 2 columns.  Probably.

I edited some of Tyler's posts that had no Subject Titles in them.

Wordpress is a great platform and is easy to use.  See the documentation at http://codex.wordpress.org/Main_Page
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 09:56:07 am »
If you read ray audette's book in detail you'll find that while he grudgingly admits that raw meat seems best he still actively warns to cook it because of the bacteria-parasite issue.
Thanks for the opportunity to repay Ray Audette for being the first to give me the idea that raw meats and fats might be best. How ironic that the guy who helped inspire the Paleo diet movement and inspired me to try raw meat and increase my fat intake is now being criticized for the opposite. For years people criticized him for suggesting that raw meats are very healthy. He considered wild, raw meat and fat to be the closest thing to the ideal food for humans and the only caution he expressed about it was his view that there might be risk of serious infection for people with weak GI systems and for a minor laxative effect in Paleo-type dieters like him.

I read NeanderThin from cover to cover, including the appendices. I own a copy and have much of it scanned into my PC, and I have participated for years in the forum his book helped inspire and in which he participated early on. Which version of the book do you have? I have the second edition and I'm wondering if some of his praise of raw meat might be missing from the first edition.

Granted, he made mistakes and I disagree with his book on some points, but he was more pro-raw meat than the impression your remarks give and he was eating a more highly raw diet on a regular basis than either V. Stefansson or W. A. Price did in their everyday lives in the US (though I haven't read all of their writings, so maybe they ate more raw at a later time after those that I read, but I haven't heard anything to the contrary yet).

I can attest that Ray once said that he only lightly seared his steaks for seconds to kill potential external bacteria (just to avoid the chance of a laxative effect, not because he thought it would make him seriously ill) and left the insides raw, in addition to eating beef jerky (which he did while expressing his belief that it was raw, dried beef, and didn't exhibit any fear regarding this). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find the steak searing quote, but I can provide plenty of quotes from the 2nd edition of his book and his forum posts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk