Author Topic: Great news! Scientist, ex-vegan, does raw-meat diet and drops 8 stone  (Read 5091 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6066475/Former-obese-vegan-eats-raw-liver-mince-bone-marrow.html

I almost missed this, but this sort of thing really helps the RVAF community.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Great news! Scientist, ex-vegan, does raw-meat diet and drops 8 stone
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 01:31:05 am »
Thanks for sharing this. I might reach out to him about coming on my podcast or recording a YouTube video.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 02:06:39 am »
Damn! The Daily Mail has , as usual with any subject they view as being potentially explosive, banned any further comments after just a tiny handful were posted which were critical. I wanted to be supportive.

Hmm, I see a a number of online youtubers etc. who are promoting raw, zero-carb diet, yet several long-term raw-zero-carbers and cooked-zero-carbers have sworn off such diets and gone for omnivore. Imo, we need more RVAF diet omnivores to promote themselves. Quite frankly, someone like Iguana(well over 2 decades of RVAF etc.) would demolish the usually idiotic claims by nutritionists that raw meat eaters will die within a few years of following such a diet.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 05:48:18 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 07:51:26 am »
So where did he learn about raw paleo?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 11:53:57 am »
So where did he learn about raw paleo?

Given the raw carnivore angle, probably from Sv3rige.
" Ron Paul.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 06:22:56 am »
Just found a podcast from this guy. Interesting story! Ever since I heard of him I've been extremely interested in learning more about him but could never find anything. I especially find him interesting due to his high organ meat consumption though he doesn't talk much about it in the pod cast. Lots of talk about the toxins plants put out to keep from being eaten. He claims coffee is a toxin and is addictive which is common sense but he also says salt is an addiction as well. He claimed as soon as he cut it out that all his cramps from lack of potassium disappeared at the same time. Makes me want to give cutting out salt a try and also finally cut out my one cup a day maximum of coffee that I am so addicted to.

Truly a golden find! I was beginning to wonder if the original article about him might have been fiction. Very inspiring podcast! Wish this thread was sticky!

http://www.carnivorecast.com/podcast/andrew

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 07:36:35 am »
I've gone salt, and no salt. Both are fine for me. Since I like the taste, I use it.  Some do well, some don't.   When I cut it out for some time, I was hoping for a benefit.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 10:11:16 pm »
When he said that quitting salt got rid of his leg cramps my ears perked up. I eat tons of salt and before I started supplementing with magnesium and potassium recently I was getting woke up in the middle of the night with leg cramps. I've read a lot that it's the ratio of sodium to potassium that matters so I suppose it's possible that giving up salt could have the same effect as adding potassium. I ate a rib eye last night that I cooked at 116 degrees F. for the first time ever without adding any salt to it and it tasted pretty good. I eat more salt than anybody I know so to consider trying to see what it's like going without it concerns me that I might pass out at the gym or something. One of the things that makes me think it might be a good idea to consider is that I like my raw organ meat smoothies so much better without salt or adding anything to them. Thinking back a few years ago I remember adding all kinds of things like salt, hot sauce, turmeric and pepper to name a few and now I wouldn't even think of adding any of them to my raw meat smoothies.

Have you listened to the pod cast yet? I'm listening to it again and he's talking about coffee. I don't know why I started drinking it again but I've limited myself to no more than one cup a day and to be honest it's been hard to stick to it and would probably be easier if I just gave it up. I have been thinking of giving up coffee long before listening to this podcast but he really hit home talking about it from his point of view as an entomologist. I know from being a horticulturist that plants like tobacco produce nicotine to keep insects from eating them and that most house plants are poisonous and that's why they don't have a lot of problems with bugs eating them but I never really thought of coffee in the same way till now and sort of feel stupid for not associating it in the same way. I guess we always make excuses for our addictions.

The salt has me intrigued and I wonder if I could get the same benefit of getting rid of leg cramps by subtracting sodium as I do from adding magnesium and potassium to my diet. I was getting some pretty bad leg cramps. If I try it I think I will take a bottle of salt with me in my gym bag in case I get some sort of adverse reaction. I've heard of people nearly passing out when I was a kid and it was common back then for coaches to give them salt tablets. It's possible that I may be one of those people that has a genetic need for lots of salt. On the other hand it's also possible that maybe it's just an addiction. The cramps is a good indication that something isn't balanced and it's entirely possible that I might have been wrong about salt all these years. I suppose it's a toss up and I'll never know unless I give it a try but I want to read everything I can about it before I consider attempting anything so radical. On the other hand I've gone 12 hours without salt and I'm considering seeing how long I could go before I experience any withdrawal symptoms and seeing how much I can find out about it in the mean time. I've always been a ready, fire, aim, kind of guy!

So you didn't get any adverse reactions quitting salt? How much of it did you eat? I buy a 5 pound bag of Celtic sea salt 2 or 3 times a year. That's a hell of a lot of salt! I also went through a kilo of magnesium in a year or two and I also buy around one kilo of potassium chloride for every 5 pound bag of Celtic sea salt. That's a hell of a lot of minerals!

Offline thehadezb

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 07:43:45 am »
Surfsteve:
I would recommend you use potassium citrate instead of chloride because citrate is the natural company of potassium.
There is a ketogenic group on Facebook (not raw) that claims that salt is unnecessary if your potassium intake is high. (8 grams as HG had). The group has a lot of members and all of them are doing well on a high protein high fat ketogenic diet without adding salt unless they are fasting.
The group has a lot of studies focusing just on potassium and his interaction with sodium. Also, they talk about the dangers of chloride in salt.
The group name is: Optimal Ketogenic Living. If you go there, you can make your own research.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 08:32:17 am »
I did some reading and even tried the potassium citrate you recommended, as I had some on hand. It doesn't taste as salty. From what I read it's better for your kidneys because it is alkaline and helps dissolve calcium stones. I also think it would help dissolve calcium throughout the body which I think I have. (Who doesn't at my age?) This got me reading up on other ways to dissolve calcium deposits. It seems DMSO is strongly recommended. Especially when combined with an acid or vitamin C. Since I've gone off supplements I've noticed I am a lot stiffer, in addition to having cramps. I used to take a lot of acids: betaine hcl, cider vinegar, lemon juice, malic acid. You name it! It may have been a mistake to stop taking these; as I don't recall being nearly this stiff and having leg cramps back in April when I was in the best shape of my life and I was adding them to my raw meat smoothies back then. The only exception was the betaine hcl. Instead I was taking betaine TMG, which was giving me terrible breath and body odor. I'm thinking maybe I should go back on some supplements but not vitamins like I was taking when I was 57 and in the worst shape of my life. I'm pretty sure they were responsible for turning my hair gray. Luckily when I started taking liver smoothies the color quickly changed back.

I finished reading a rather long article on phytotoxins today.

http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com/2014/02/phytochemicals-natural-antibiotics-and.html

It goes on and on about the dangers of phytotoxins but instead of going strictly carnivore, the guy that wrote it said he doesn't worry about them all that much and eats plants whenever he wants. He claims his liver and kidneys are strong and do their job getting rid of them. I'm thinking instead of being strict carnivore that maybe I should sort of adopt his approach and eat a limited amount of vegetables whenever I crave them. I was actually doing that in April. I just wasn't craving vegetables at all sometimes. I'm sure it was a mistake forcing myself, like a parent, to start eating loads of them again and if I do go back to eating them I'm probably going to do it sparingly, eating them only as a treat when I want them!

One thing that concerns me about guys being strict carnivore is that they don't look very healthy to me. Only exception is Andrew Graff and he is very strict about eating raw. Shawn Baker doesn't look that healthy and the only video I saw of the Grateful Dead sound engineer that goes by the name of Bear made him look like death. I never would have guessed by reading all his posts on Phoenix Rising forum that he looked that unhealthy! Like I said. Both of those guys were cooked carnivores. I firmly believe that cooking denatures the protein in meat and is unhealthy. I still eat a fair amount of blue, super rare steaks and I hope some day to be able to eat all of my meats totally raw. I think only vegetables should be cooked and that they aren't that healthy either way but that it's a good way of minimizing their phytotoxins. It seems like spices are pretty hard on my liver and kidneys and that I should probably do without them. I think looking at rare meat and low phytotoxin vegetables as my junk food and spices which are extremely high in them, as poison is a good place to be for me right now and that I may need a few plant based supplements as medicine, especially minerals and acids to dissolve all the built up calcium in my body or whatever it is that is making me feel cramped and stiff. Not sure about salt. I've always eaten tons of it and was eating lots of it back in April. Going to try cutting it out for a while longer and see if it decreases my need for potassium and magnesium and if it doesn't work, go back on it. I also totally cut out coffee a few weeks ago. I don't miss it all that much and truth be told it's easier cutting it out than limiting myself to no more than one cup a day. I was actually craving it more limiting it to a cup a day than I am now going totally without it. Got a feeling salt would be the same way. It's not that hard not using it and would probably be harder than if I tried to cut way back on it.

My goal right now is to get back to the way I felt in April. Especially eliminating morning back pain in the kidney area and having stiff muscles. I would like to be much more limber. Do you think I should take up Yoga?

Offline norawnofun

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 09:25:13 am »
I don´t think that Shawn Baker looks unhealthy, I think he looks very healthy for his age. I also don´t think that eating a cooked carnivore diet is as unhealthy as many people might think it is. There are so many people that healed their deepest health issues while eating cooked meats, that one can only explain it, maybe, by an absence of vegetables and fruits. I get daily notifications of the carnivore diet forum on fb and I sometimes can´t believe that people get that healthy on cooked foods. I know that cooking destroys enzymes, denatures vitamins, creates AGEs, carcinogens and what not, but for some reason cooking meats to the death still heals the most difficult health maladies for these carnivores. So something doesn´t make sense.

Sometimes I think that our health mainly depends on our mental state and most importantly our environment, rather than our food choices, except eating junk food or an SAD diet or course... Whenever I go abroad I usually have a much better digestion, gain healthy weight, get more muscle, have a higher sex drive, more energy and need less sleep, so what´s the reason? After all these years of experimenting and trying out different diets, all kinds of supplements one should lean back and look at yourself for once second, rather than trying out millions of different things to find a 'cure' to ones health problems. And as I said the environment can sometimes play a major role. Let me give you an example.

Some years ago I used to come home from work and my partner was cooking some stuff in the oven. While being outside I was joyful and happy, but the moment I entered our home I got angry and aggressive. I never understood that until, after many years, I could nail it down. The oven that I use to cook foods in was never properly cleaned. There is so much grease and dirt in there that even a proper cleaning won´t clean things such as the inside fan. So, every time I use the oven now my stomach cramps and I felt really agressive and sick. The reason must be coming from the dirt inside there blowing out to the environment in my own home. I first thought it´s the magnetic field from the oven, but even after being further away from it I can feel there is an issue. It´s like parasites come to life or multiply whenever the shitty oven is turned on. And by now I have a shitload of experience when it comes parasites, trust me. I still believe that raw meats are superior when it comes accelerating your healing process, but I also think that that your environment plays the major part. And that´s something you should never neglect. So things like Yoga I would highly recommend. Everything that calms your mind will be beneficial for sure. You can eat the healthiest diet in the world, if you mind is unsettled you will never heal yourself. We are so desperately trying to find a cure to our health, that we forget to focus on the most important thing. Our spiritual and mental state. Because our microbiome vastly depends on our wellbeing. If you are not happy your bacteria won´t be happy and you will have all kinds of health issues until your psychological wellbeing has been adressed and your environment has been changed for the better.

I need to give another more drastic example here. My best friends sister has cancer. It´s all over her body including the bones. Doc´s gave up on her a long time ago. She should be dead by now. So she started to search for a remedy herself and tried all kinds of remedies and treatments. She was in a wheelchair not a long time ago. It was really bad. Then she started to meet with a good psychologist of some kind, I don´t know the exact details, but since then she is out of a wheelchair and can walk again. A kind of a miracle. So if your mind is not ready to heal you will never heal.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 09:49:30 am by norawnofun »

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2018, 05:55:12 pm »
Dude! As far as I'm concerned Andrew Gaff and Shawn Baker aren't even in the same league as far as looking healthy on their diets...

I may not even bother to try it but I ordered some DMSO that wont be here till Wednesday. In the mean time I was looking through all my supplements I have on hand to see if there isn't something just as good if not better that I can take right away. I found some Malic Acid and took a tablespoon. I felt very right taking it. I searched and read some more and took a couple tablespoons of betaine TMG. The TMG form gave me terrible odor before, so bad that I had to quit taking it. Fearing the odor was going to come back I took another tablespoon of malic acid. I FEEL WONDERFUL! All the pain from working out is totally gone and I can move my arms without them hurting. Even my shoulder which has been severely limiting my bench pressing does not hurt anymore. This makes sense because both malic acid and TMG are known for reducing pain. They also promote strength and endurance so it's a win, win. If they cancel out the body odor it will be a triple win. I wonder why the HCL form of betaine doesn't work nearly as good for all that? The odd thing is that betaine HCL actually gets rid of body odor while betaine TMG causes it. Very strange! Now if I can only work out and not stink everybody out of the gym; life will be wonderful!

I still intend on eating carnivore. Just not 100%.

Offline letsdoiteczema

• Buffalo Hunter
  • Call me LDIE for short =)
    • View Profile
    • Healing from severe suicidal eczema
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 04:30:11 pm »
Brave guy going public with his raw carnivore diet like that. I wonder what happened when his employer/colleagues/friends found out? Lol I doubt anything positive happened.
Wishing everyone the best in health and happiness! much love to all!

My severe suicidal eczema healing blog: http://eczemabye.weebly.com/

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 11:25:38 pm »
More new videos by Andrew Graf. The first one was just made today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJMpEven0oI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqZtm_1yj1E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClcWgxghGTQ

Haven't even had a chance to watch these yet. I'm posting them here first for you guys. This guy is the real deal!

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 12:19:41 pm »
I watched the three videos and he pretty much said the same thing.  Here's another video where he says all that but Shawn gets him talking and gets a bit more information out of him that isn't in the other videos. I recommend you skip the previous three and only watch this one. If you watched them already, sorry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRFfPrSGxAE

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 11:42:08 pm »
Here's another Andrew Graf video that's a little more different than his normal canned speech. It's geared more towards the beginner or someone who is curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBOn3Cl3HME

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk