Author Topic: COCONUT CREAM  (Read 10436 times)

Offline SAV

• Forager
    • View Profile
COCONUT CREAM
« on: June 13, 2009, 01:20:40 pm »
HI guys, I've been visiting this forum for a few weeks now & have decided to join in & hopefully contribute / help out & learn just like the rest of you -

I've just downloaded AV's second book Recipe for living without disease

My question is regarding the coconut cream that is recommended for smoothies / meat meals etc -

It is pretty much impossible for me to make my own or buy it freshly made - so I can only resort to one source - it's called TROPICAL TRADITIONS COCONUT CREAM CONCENTRATE - all organic - no preservatives - 100% coconut

Is this fine to use? - what brand / form of coconut cream do you guys use / recommend?

Many thanks

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: COCONUT CREAM
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 04:53:03 pm »
If it's called a concentrate that usually means it's highly processed in some way.

As regards coconut cream, it is by no means an essential food and many RVAFers avoid such artificial foods, after a while - and those that do eat it a lot prefer to make their own as that's the one sure way to guarantee high quality.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 11:36:38 am »
    Concentrate is right! pff lol.  That is a high fat product.  To concentrate it you have to dry it.  Aajonus is against dried fats.  I would say "TROPICAL TRADITIONS COCONUT  O0 CREAM CONCENTRATE" is not on his dietary recommendations.  Can't you get other raw fats?  Or did he prescribe coconut cream to you?  There are other primal dieters in Australia.  Maybe you can look them up and ask them where they get coconut cream.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 09:45:50 pm »
Yeah don't eat it it's pretty gross. Mass produced shit heated to high temperatures. I think 'Aram' is the best because it's cold pressed? but more expensive. I used to eat alot of homemade coconut cream when I was a primal dieter and didn't know about animal fats. Coconut cream always filled me up but also made me feel sick. No where near as bad as coconut oil but still pretty average.

My main problem with coconuts at the time was that 8 out of 10 coconuts in Australia were either going off or completely rancid. I actually contacted the importing company to tell them what I'd found and find out why they were so shit...never got a decent answer..Anyway I'm glad those nights of juicing coconut cream are behind me.

If you do end up making your own add a little lemon juice to stop it going off too quickly.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 09:51:26 pm by wodgina6722 »
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 10:59:13 pm »
I have been using supermarket canned coconut cream in small quantities. This post got me thinking about it. Raw is better. I found this recipe and will try it. Freezing in ice cube trays seems like a good idea. I think a regular blender or food processor would work?

http://www.rawfoodsnewsmagazine.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=4

I have been hearing a lot about the lipids in coconuts being very good for us.
Naturally, Don

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 11:05:19 pm »
The trouble is that coconuts contain high levels of antinutrients like salicylates which cause issues. I can't even handle raw, solid coconuts, let alone coconut cream or coconut oil. And I'm highly scpetical re the efficacy of them all as plant-fats seem to give so much trouble to people.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 01:08:30 am »
I am completely off coconut. I put some oil on my skin the other day and even the smell makes me queasy especially after  my VCO candida detox episode. Cream is better than oil probably because the cream is less         
concentrated with plant poisons.You can't get less paleo really except maybe olives (even if soaked for 6 months in a tide pool!!)   
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Satya

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 01:21:59 am »
Even without the antinutrients, coconuts are a major pain to even open.  Then the meat is stuck to the shell.  They are too much work.  I haven't eaten or used coconut products in several months.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 05:47:19 am »
I eat coconut meat straight off from a fresh coconut, as part of a hydrating snack.

I live in a land of fresh coconuts and I would be horrified to eat coconut cream coming from cans.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 05:57:54 am »
http://www.rawfoodsnewsmagazine.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=4

I have been hearing a lot about the lipids in coconuts being very good for us.

You hear that coconuts (and coconut oil/lipids) are good for us from the vegan and raw plant food crowds.  I know many people who follow this dietary regime (after all I was a died in the wool raw vegan for about 20 years), and all are suffering health problems of one sort or another and those that are long time followers have many severe health issues - I sure did.

My health issues all went away when I went paleo and dumped the all the plant based oils, grains, beans, and processed plant foods (as well as the green juices and other junk).  Paleo is a meat based diet (primarily red meat), with a little added fresh fruit and green veggies when in season. The best fat for us is animal fat.  I challenge you to go out in the wild with a sharp stick and a rock and show me how you would extract oil from any plant material at all.  Even if fire is available to add heat to help release the oil, you don't have any pots and pans to heat things in or catch and store the oil if you do extract.

Those that say that coconut oil helps with their various health problems seem not to notice that even with the coconut oil they still have the problems.  If instead, they addressed the root cause of the problems, the problems would go away and they wouldn't need the coconut oil's help in covering up the symptoms.

Lex

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 06:12:07 am »
... TROPICAL TRADITIONS COCONUT CREAM CONCENTRATE - all organic - no preservatives - 100% coconut

The word "concentrate" is the key. That usually means it's been cooked (like boiling down oranges to make frozen orange juice concentrate).

Eat 'em fresh or find a raw version or, as most here suggest, don't eat them at all.

Do you follow a raw paleo or AV's Primal Diet?
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 05:14:04 am »
Those that say that coconut oil helps with their various health problems seem not to notice that even with the coconut oil they still have the problems.  If instead, they addressed the root cause of the problems, the problems would go away and they wouldn't need the coconut oil's help in covering up the symptoms.

Lex
And I found that I get sick to my stomach if I eat too much coconut oil (and it doesn't take much), whereas I can eat lots of grassfed beef tallow and it actually settles my stomach.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 09:26:20 am »
If you are of Asian decent you may be better adapted to coconuts. I am of European descent and am well adapted to dairy, whereas many Asians are not. I do enjoy coconuts a lot.

I bought a coconut and found this great site:

http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/coconuti.html

Please read "The Truth About Coconut Oil"
http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/features/cocgood.html

And "Selecting a Coconut for Purchase"
http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/features/cocfresh.html

Good stuff. She speaks from experience and research, not just "I tried it once and ......"

Naturally, Don

Offline SAV

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 07:23:45 pm »
Thanks for the helpful replies guys - guess i'll skip the concentrate & try to source a fresh one

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk