Author Topic: Warning re mislabelling of raw foods  (Read 382 times)

Online TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Warning re mislabelling of raw foods
« on: December 29, 2018, 07:50:44 pm »
Hi,

I mentioned, ages ago, how Uk laws allowed honey to be labelled "raw" as long as it had "only" been heated to no more than 80 degrees Celsius for a short time. Similiarly, I now encounter "salmon tartare" which is actually smoked salmon, not raw at all. Recently, I even had a beef tartare at a local restaurant which had a cooked fried egg on top(anathema!) and also made me feel ill as there was a definite chemical aftertaste shortly after the meal. In other words, the chef, out of fear of raw meats, habitually cleaned his meat-knife with detergents, but failed to fully clean it inbetween.
"What is the point of growing up If you can't be childish sometimes..." - Tom Baker as Dr Who.

Offline madnomad

• Forager
    • View Profile
Re: Warning re mislabelling of raw foods
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 09:50:46 pm »
Another good reason why I no longer eat out at restaurants: quality control. I also try to avoid packaged foods as much as possible and source fresh from local farmers/butchers as much as possible.

Online TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Warning re mislabelling of raw foods
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 12:32:14 am »
*Just a mo*. I have indeed occasionally encountered decent RPD-friendly restaurants. In 3 of 5  cases, they were Japanese sashimi restaurants, with only 1 not being nouvelle-cuisine-ish. Then there are 2 Ethiopian restaurants which offer gored gored, which is likely not 100% grassfed, but this being austria, the meat won't be too intensively farmed. Do NOT order kitfo as that is suffused with chilli already inside, in vast quantities.
"What is the point of growing up If you can't be childish sometimes..." - Tom Baker as Dr Who.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk