Author Topic: Anti-palaeo planned obsolescence  (Read 5756 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Anti-palaeo planned obsolescence
« on: February 20, 2019, 09:03:30 pm »
I have always loathed the tendency for companies to produce goods that they know will only last from 2 to 5 years because they have built in limitations to their gadgets/goods to ensure this. This leads to very severe waste. Well, in the Netherlands, a "Repair-Cafe" movement got started  which encourages people to learn how to repair the devices they buy, and now many other countries have this  as well:-

https://repaircafe.org/en/
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 03:45:01 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-palaeo planned obsolescence
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 12:00:34 am »
Link is broken.

I'm not sure if planned obsolescence is really a thing. I think it may just be that people want the cheapest available, and the cheapest doesn't last.

For instance, I have seen several Dell LCD monitors last far more than the competition, but many people often buy other brands because they're slightly cheaper.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 03:44:04 am »
Link is broken.

I'm not sure if planned obsolescence is really a thing. I think it may just be that people want the cheapest available, and the cheapest doesn't last.

For instance, I have seen several Dell LCD monitors last far more than the competition, but many people often buy other brands because they're slightly cheaper.
I disagree. I have previously avoided buying Dell monitors given bad reviews re durability etc.  I have noted that some manufacturers of washing machines can produce  washing machines  that last 35 years on average, instead of the usual 15 or so. It is therefore possible to manufacture long-lasting items.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 01:39:39 pm »
"Ending is better than mending"
Brave New World

If the trend of Planned obsolescence were to be followed to into its ultimate extremes,
within the next generation, Human Beings will all be labeled as obsolete by their machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3quruHpcuo
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk