Author Topic: Question on Grass-Fed  (Read 2033 times)

Offline smokeyquartz

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Question on Grass-Fed
« on: March 05, 2020, 02:23:54 am »
The website of the farm I am buying some organ meats from has this posted, and I find it contradictory:

"Grass fed beef.  We do not use Steroids, Hormones or Antibiotics to make our cattle grow faster or fatter."

Then right underneath -

"NO GMOs.  We grow ALL our feeds - corn, hay, and soybeans - from pure seeds."

Now I am suspecting that the cows aren't really grass-fed, but simply fed organic corn/soy. 

I guess I have to ask the farmer, but I need to know if this is the way grass-fed animals are finished or if cows are supposed to eat corn and soy after eating grass for a certain period?   Or is this simply someone trying to sell "grass-fed" beef that is actually NOT grass-fed at all? 

I'm still not liking the taste of liver, even their "grass-fed" kind.  But if it's not actually grass-fed, then that's something different...

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Question on Grass-Fed
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 04:55:30 am »
Assuming you are in the US, but here a producer can label their meat as grass fed without feeding them entirely on grass. As long as the cattle eats at least some grass throughout its life, it can be sold as grass fed. If you want meat that was raised entirely on grass, you need to look for a label that says 100% grass fed. Even here, realize the cattle may never eat a blade of fresh grass in its entire life. It could well be raised in a barn on hay or other dried forages.

Offline smokeyquartz

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 06:29:22 am »
It says "We sell cage-free grass-fed beef raised to organic standards."  But it doesn't say anywhere 100% grass-fed.  So I suppose I have to call and ask.  But given that they mention corn/soy "feed", I'm sure the cattle are not entirely grass-fed, whatever they may say. 

Why can't people just be honest? 

I feel like I have to go to the ends of the earth to try to find quality meat.

Offline smokeyquartz

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 08:03:37 am »
I've been looking further on here and Sabertooth mentioned that even organic, grass-fed meat can have been vaccinated and de-wormed.  Maybe that is the reason why I don't like the taste of the liver. 

When I go to the farm (there are two that claim to be grass-fed near me), what are some of the things I should ask in order to make sure the meat is good quality?

Would a farmer be willing to answer my questions or would my in-depth questions put them off and make them afraid to talk to me? 

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 10:19:31 pm »
Every farmer is different. In the end, they want you to buy their product. They will tell you what they think you want to hear. Sometimes they will do so while also being honest, other times they will blatantly lie to you. I have had farmers who advertise they raised their animals 100% on grass later be exposed for feeding grain. I have met farmers who were certified organic later be exposed for violating the standards of their certification. Bottom line is that it always goes back to trust, unless you produce (or hunt, or gather) your food yourself.

Offline madnomad

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 03:49:16 pm »
Yet another good reason to stick to wild game 100% grass-fed, just check the liver and the presence of a decent amount of body fat usually indicates a healthy animal.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk