Author Topic: Are there any Nutarians out there...?  (Read 19223 times)

Offline SuperInfinity

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
Are there any Nutarians out there...?
« on: July 17, 2009, 01:45:35 am »

I'm not sure why but this topic is making me laugh, lol. :D  ;)

If you've had a diet very high in nuts or have heard someone who experienced it, please say some of your experiences . Or say what are the issues with a diet very high in nuts? Do you put on a lot of weight?

A few days ago I actually randomly heard of a person whose diet was 98% raw or lightly-steamed vegetables and has been for years. He posted his blood data and while not extraordinarily good, still excellent... (so much for the farcical idea that you'd almost die or something from not taking meat, as propagated dogmatically by the USDA and FDA etc. although to be fair he's probably taking supplements, who knows).

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any Nutarians out there...?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 02:17:00 am »
I tried eating a lot of nuts when I was raw vegan before. I didn't gain weight but felt sluggish, nuts are one of the most concentrated and difficult to digest foods in the world and if you consume a significant amount of your calories from them you will feel it.

Offline SuperInfinity

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 03:51:51 am »
Damn... That's it... I'm done with nuts forever.  -v

I had 150g of macadamia nuts (100%) earlier... I figured that past experiences with peanuts were due to the fact that 1. peanuts aren't really nuts 2. in nature primates eat peanuts with their full shells on. So there's a lot of fibre to help the digestion etc.

Other nuts have shells on them and you'd have to crack the shells, so that could slow the eating of them down. However there's nothing stopping a primitive hominid from cracking 100 shells together and eating them... so I figured that's what it'd be like.

But no, my blood is gone cold, my mood is depressed, I feel very bloated and sickly in my stomach, my stomach hurts, I made two trips to the toilet... and they weren't very pleasant.  -v

If something is good in small quantaties then surely you can eat a lot of it and it'll still be good. From my personal experience, nuts just don't go well with me. Considering that they're a raw food, I believe that I have the ability to conclude that they're not a very healthy food for me. I don't care how much nutrients they're supposed to have... they make me feel awful. Again, considering they're a raw food and not a chemically altered food like bread, I believe in trusting myself... no sense making myself get and feel sick because some food-science (which has been known to be wrong a LOT...) says I should. 

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 06:51:17 am »
I tried a lot of raw pili nuts before.

It interferes with raw meat digestion.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 08:30:29 am »
I personally find nuts very hard to digest. Eat in small ammounts if at all. A nut really doesnt want to be eaten at all, and interfears with digestion. I guess it needs to defend itself somehow, so shells, anti nutrients are its weapons. My guess is that they would have played a relatively small part (but a part none-the-less) in our historical diet. I think one can maybe gain from simple processing such as soaking/sprouting to limit these factors - if one wanted to eat them. Also, nut are of course seasonal.

This is definately the first time I have heard the word 'nutarian'!   ;)

Offline SuperInfinity

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 11:24:05 am »
A couple of hours later, and things have gotten worse not better!!!! 

I feel like I'm going to DIE!  -v

It's worse than having a hangover or something (although I never really liked alcohol to begin with thank god).

I cannot believe a single pack of Macadamia nuts would do this to me, I mean peanuts were pretty bad if I ate too much... but THIS!!!  -v

God help me for saying this... but I'd have been better off with a mars bar and a coke!!! I guess I answered my own topic.

Almost hilariously, there's another packet of Macadamia nuts sitting on the drawer in front of me... I actually thought maybe it'd be worth getting another for me to eat another time. On the plus side though, at least I haven't went into sweets or takeaway or anything... anything's possible when you mess up your system this bad and are feeling this sorry for yourself. I'll have to make an extra effort tomorrow to be sure I'm on the right track again as I'll be what I'd consider "high risk" of eating rubbish food.

Graphic warning!!!! I've been to the bathroom about 12 times, it was number twos nearly all those times... >_< I'm excreting liquid!!! It looks like water... I think it might actually be fat... as when you eat some fruit raw at least the body only absorbs the calories it needs.

yup... I'm gonna die tonight. >_<

« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 11:30:46 am by SuperInfinity »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 12:09:39 pm »
There is something very wrong with your pack of macadamia nuts.
First of all they probably aren't raw.
If they are in a package, they are building up fungus.
Hulda Clark suggestion to get rid of fungus in packaged nuts is to heat them in a toaster oven before eating.

Can you sue the macadamia nut packager?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline SuperInfinity

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 12:21:48 pm »
They are raw, raw nuts are more popular here in europe than in the US (most are sold raw).

If it is a fungus then that's bloody HORRIFIC and criminal, I wouldn't rule out it just being the nuts alone or nuts + fungus. Okay, I don't know what more to say, I just hope it'll be better once I lie down cause I have a horrible pain in my stomach.

Maybe I also have an allergy to this type of nut. However 150grams of these nuts is no joke... it's over 1500calories... that's more than I've at times eaten in a whole day.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 03:05:22 pm »
    Do yours grow in Australia or Hawaii?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 03:44:45 pm »
super inf, am i right in saying that you mostly eat just fruit? that would surely mean you might have real issues digesting even 150g worth of nuts and their high fat content too....

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 10:16:58 pm »
God help me for saying this... but I'd have been better off with a mars bar and a coke!!!

I've found the same thing. Sometimes so called "health food" can make me feel way worse than so called "junk food." For example, a greasy fast food burger would go down better for me than a falafel or hummus pita sandwich from a chic vegetarian "health food" place. Potato chips or even candy and ice cream would go down better than nuts or seeds.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 10:39:09 pm »
super inf, am i right in saying that you mostly eat just fruit? that would surely mean you might have real issues digesting even 150g worth of nuts and their high fat content too....

That is true.  When I was eating 4-6 pounds of fruit daily, I had to really be careful about eating anything that required real digestive fire, like nuts.  Now I can get away with eating a lot more in the way of nuts, etc.

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 03:56:00 am »
I've found the same thing. Sometimes so called "health food" can make me feel way worse than so called "junk food." For example, a greasy fast food burger would go down better for me than a falafel or hummus pita sandwich from a chic vegetarian "health food" place. Potato chips or even candy and ice cream would go down better than nuts or seeds.

I know what you mean :)

Offline SuperInfinity

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 04:57:33 am »
Well, I didn't die and I slept fairly well notwithstanding. I felt fairly good today, though I still have very weird and a bit uncomfortable bowel movements.

I figure that it must have happened paleo man sometimes, that he ate something that tasted alright to eat and then later was sick over it. Though saying it might *help* is a bit of a stretch.  :P

If I start eating raw fish, I hope I don't have to go through this type of thing a lot and be told it's building up my immune system...  :o

Offline fishercat

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 10:16:27 am »
Main issues with nuts:
1. They don't want to be eaten. Trees sometimes benefit from dispersal by animals storing the nuts, but their goal is to germinate and they have antinutrients to keep animals from snacking on too many.
2. Rancidity: They are full of fatty acids that are easily oxidized and so many stores store them in containers that let in air, light, and at room temp...
3. Mycotoxins: mold grows quit easily on them and the associated mycotoxins can be quite poisonous.

Personally, I don't eat them unless I know the source and have shelled them myself.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 04:41:03 pm »
Personally, I don't eat them unless I know the source and have shelled them myself.

Like my son.  I thought he was like a squirrel, climbing the highest trees with no assistance in any form and never eating de-shelled nuts, but prefering to open them himself one by one as he ate each one.  Most often it was the pits of plums, used to be his favorite fruit!
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 07:45:03 pm »

I've had freshly picked almonds and they look and taste nothing like dried almonds. The shell is soft and peelable, and the nut inside is wet and kinda mushy, would it be correct to assume that every other type of fresh nuts are like that too? I don't consider dry nuts to be raw at all, even if it hasn't been cooked. When a food has a different look, taste, smell, texture from its natural form, how can it be considered raw?

Offline afroza

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 09:07:56 pm »
I used to be able to eat nuts when I started with RAF, I could even handle some veggies back then. But now when I eat almost exclusively meat and animal fat I get stomach cramps that leaves me on the floor in featus position if I taste nuts! Nuts does not go well with a diet high in RAF in my experience. HavenĀ“t tried fresh almonds though, they look tasty!

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 09:50:17 pm »
it is very difficult to find true raw nuts at groceries stores united states
most processing involves heating to a certain temperatures to ease the removal of shell and because of bacteria scares there has been an emphasis on irradiation
...that said harvesting them yourself is pretty easy for such things as black walnuts, acorns(seed?), coconut????? trees that are often used in landscaping...or knowing a local producer..

i tend to eat a lot of pumpkin seeds and find that they digest well, although thought has to be taken to chew them or they end up undigested...which makes me think they dont break down they possible take more enzymes to break down but i do get energy from them so it is not as if they are totally useless, i think this is another food source, must like fruit or veg, that tends to depend on ones particular constitution for how well they can digest and assimilate

i would venture to say that a lot of raw vegans that i have known where nutarians/seedafari's because calorie wise they would get the majority of their energy from nuts and seeds...this may be less true now-a-days as people understand that it does take a certain amount of digestive fire and leaves on sluggish if the nuts/nut milks are eaten in large quantities...i am not sure what teh rawveggi/ans are doing these days, perhaps they have subbed with superfoods and fruits...but there was a common phrase called "nut-gut" much like a beer belly that would happen if people realied to heavily on nuts/seeds for daily caloric intack

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 10:33:00 pm »

i would venture to say that a lot of raw vegans that i have known where nutarians/seedafari's

I think a better term for these raw foodists would be "dry foodist", don't forget they also eat alot of dates. Watch any raw food recipe video on youtube, there are dry dates, almonds and cacao in like 90% of them. I would not be surprised if many self-proclaimed raw vegans get more than 50% of their calories from dry food. Even Doug Graham is a dry foodist, he eats nuts. The only true raw vegan i can think of is Durianrider.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 10:33:57 pm »

i would venture to say that a lot of raw vegans that i have known where nutarians/seedafari's because calorie wise they would get the majority of their energy from nuts and seeds...this may be less true now-a-days as people understand that it does take a certain amount of digestive fire and leaves on sluggish if the nuts/nut milks are eaten in large quantities...

The nut butters will effing destroy most people, if they eat too much of them.  I have a friend who used to be in a bad cycle of "smoke pot, get munchies, eat too much nut butters, feel bad the next day, smoke pot to relieve the pain/mistery, overeat more nut butters from the munchies".

The nut butter and dried fruit diet has destroyed many a new raw vegan. That combo will crush your health.

Offline Diana

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 01:02:07 am »

A few days ago I actually randomly heard of a person whose diet was 98% raw or lightly-steamed vegetables and has been for years. He posted his blood data 

Superinfinity, can you please tell me where you heard about this person? This is the diet that I need, having trouble with most other foods, so I very much wish to get to know this person and to get more details. Thanks!

Diana

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 01:56:52 am »
SuperInfinity had serious posting behavior problems and ongoing health issues and was banned--twice at this forum and at least once at a vegan/fruitarian forum. So I don't advise paying too much heed to his recommendations.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 05:58:40 am »
SuperInfinity had serious posting behavior problems and ongoing health issues and was banned--twice at this forum

Actually he is up to 4 bans now, I think.

I find it entertaining that the other mods wanted to wait on his banning.  He's the worst. most persistent troll we've had yet.  *knock on wood*

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 08:23:47 am »
You should not ban anyone unless they are just spamming... That is dictatorship, anyone should be free to say what they want and people should be able to make their minds up for themselves. Rather than banning someone, you should counter their words. Banning people who question you will only reduce your integrity... tsk tsk.

The two people I've noticed being banned have said things which are controversial within this forum, but they've not been spamming. They've spoken genuinely, whether right or wrong, they've just said what they think. If you want people of 'different thought' to listen to you, you have to listen to people of 'different thought'.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk