Author Topic: My experience with vitamin D supplements  (Read 9680 times)

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
My experience with vitamin D supplements
« on: July 18, 2009, 01:21:22 am »
I started taking the Now brand softgels about 10 months ago.  I have taken anywhere from 1000 IU to 10,000 IU daily.  My most recent blood test showed a blood level of 92.3, (and I was taking about 10,000 IU daily for about 2 weeks before that), so now I take about 1000-3000 IU daily.  I actually noticed that I feel better when my blood levels are not quite that high. 

Here's a list of things that vitamin D has helped me with

1.  sleeping through the night without waking.
2.  I don't grind my teeth at night nearly as much
3.  I am much more calm
4.  my tooth sensitivity issues are greatly improved

I also tried the Carlson Vitamin D drops, but they appear to have no effectiveness, that I can tell.  I've tried one or two other types, but the Now brand definitely gets the job done.

I used to be very anti-supplement, but this has convinced me that moderate supplementation can be good, maybe.

I think it's much easier to get Vitamin A from food than Vitamin D.  Liver alone can give you enough Vitamin A, and when you add palm oil, you've got plenty. 

I really think my body does not process vitamin D normally.  I had rickets when I was a child (I have noticeably curved shinbones), and the fact that it helped me in so many ways as soon as I started taking it (within 1 or 2 days) really makes me think I don't process or use it normally, or something.   But whatever.

Questions?

Offline SuperInfinity

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: My experience with vitamin D supplements
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 04:48:38 am »
I started taking the Now brand softgels about 10 months ago.  I have taken anywhere from 1000 IU to 10,000 IU daily.  My most recent blood test showed a blood level of 92.3, (and I was taking about 10,000 IU daily for about 2 weeks before that), so now I take about 1000-3000 IU daily.  I actually noticed that I feel better when my blood levels are not quite that high. 

Here's a list of things that vitamin D has helped me with

1.  sleeping through the night without waking.
2.  I don't grind my teeth at night nearly as much
3.  I am much more calm
4.  my tooth sensitivity issues are greatly improved

I also tried the Carlson Vitamin D drops, but they appear to have no effectiveness, that I can tell.  I've tried one or two other types, but the Now brand definitely gets the job done.

I used to be very anti-supplement, but this has convinced me that moderate supplementation can be good, maybe.

I think it's much easier to get Vitamin A from food than Vitamin D.  Liver alone can give you enough Vitamin A, and when you add palm oil, you've got plenty. 

I really think my body does not process vitamin D normally.  I had rickets when I was a child (I have noticeably curved shinbones), and the fact that it helped me in so many ways as soon as I started taking it (within 1 or 2 days) really makes me think I don't process or use it normally, or something.   But whatever.

Questions?

You used to be anti-supplements??? Wow!!! Kid, I'm trying to have some respect for you people here, at least give me a chance to.

Lots of luck in trying to remineralize your bones after their rapid, irreversible deterioration which is KNOWN to be extremely likely to occur if you don't take dairy in modern times. Paleo man was clearly different in some way, he either got far more calcium because of the soil etc. or his magnesium/vitamin d was much higher (extremely likely, maybe a primitive diet goes some way towards that) or maybe his bones were better formed to begin with since birth.

Either way it takes a very brave man (and by brave, I mean stupid), to go without ANY bone supplements without taking dairy or ensuring that they ingest enough calcium in the foods (which is hard) and magnesium and vitamin d etc. (which are also hard).

I myself amn't too keen on taking vitamins or minerals, but even *I* take calcium, multivitamin, vitamin c etc.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 05:59:16 am »
How about sunlight?  Isn't sun exposure good enough Vitamin D?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 11:21:54 am »
How about sunlight?  Isn't sun exposure good enough Vitamin D?

I have spent entire days shirtless out in the sun before, but that didn't have the same effect as a few pills have had.  I definitely spend time outside in the sun, but, in the winter, that's not easy.  Even in the summer, if you have to work a lot indoors, it's not too easy, sometimes.

To everyone--try different brands and types of supplements.  Test them against each other.  I recommend the liquid forms of vitamins A and D, and I recommend the natural forms of calcium, bone meal and dolomite.  I have gotten MUCH better results from dolomite and bone meal than from any liquid or pill-form calcium supplement.  YMMV, but that's definitely my experience. 

William

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 12:34:31 pm »
The only supplements I get are coffee (organic Colombian) and cigarettes.

I get sunlight while drinking coffee & smoking on my back deck while waiting for another beaver to swim by so I can fill the furry fart with lead. Destructive pests.

Pemmican rules.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 12:38:06 am »
...I used to be very anti-supplement, but this has convinced me that moderate supplementation can be good, maybe.....
I used to get muscle cramps and toes bending upwards and sidewards grotesquely and painfully until I took sufficiently high doses of potassium, which quickly cured it. My acne also dramatically responded to zinc once I was eating standard Paleo (neither was sufficient alone). Now that I'm eating a VLC RPD I've been needing less supplementation and am hopeful that I won't need any in the near future.

So while supplements are not the cure-alls that some supplement sellers claim, they have definitely helped me while my body recovers from nutritional deficiencies caused by modern foods. The folks who go to the other extreme and say that supplements have no value should speak for themselves.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline SuperInfinity

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 12:54:17 am »
Nice avatar paleo phil.  :)

They've said this is a wonder of nature, and it is to an extent but not that hugely surprising for easily the second smartest species on the planet (despite the old-style primatologists in their vanity thinking pans/gorillas must be since they diverged from us a shorter time ago). The Orangutan is learning to obtain a new food source in case his more favoured fruit supply gets cut off (as is happening quite a lot due to humans). It shows how intelligent and resourceful these creatures are, which so many primatologists and scientists seem afraid to admit or accept, they often won't accept planning or any sort of thinking at all, even emotions... despite it being clear as daylight. Or they try to make out as if human emotion is vastly superior.

However, natural wonder? I never realised spears were available in nature! Do they grow on trees like spaghetti trees? I also doubt the Orangutan fashioned it himself, that'd be quite a feat considering no human could easily do even a botched job of making that implement primordially.

Also, where do you think he got the idea of using it to fish from? ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 01:03:50 am by SuperInfinity »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 05:55:11 am »
To avoid potential confusion from the above post, I'll explain that I replaced my avatar image of a spear-fishing orang-utan with the current image of another nonhuman primate hunting with a weapon, this time with one that was self-fashioned, and in pursuit of bushbabies rather than fish (though orang-utans DO eat fish in the wild--see below). I had only used the orang-utan image because it was a more striking image and the orang-utan resembles me more closely. :)

I also doubt the Orangutan fashioned it himself, that'd be quite a feat considering no human could easily do even a botched job of making that implement primordially.
Ha ha! This one is so hilarious I couldn't resist quoting it. This sort of underestimating of the intelligence and skill of animals and ancient humans is common among the vegetarian and near-vegetarian crowd, who are less interested in the facts of nature than they are in spreading their propaganda. They often won't even bother to do a little googling to check whether their assumptions have any basis before they spout them. Contrast the above quote with my avatar of a chimp with the small spear he fashioned for stabbing bushbabies, and the following:

"...wildlife experts were equally surprised to see an orang-utan pick up a tree branch and stun a fish before eating it."
"Swimming orang-utans' spearfishing exploits amaze the wildlife experts," by Lewis Smith, The Times, April 28, 2008, http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article3828123.ece

"During the day, [orangutans] forage for the 300 types of forest fruits, like durian, jackfruit, mangoes, and figs, which make up the bulk of their diet (the rest consists of other plant parts, plus honey, insects, eggs, birds, and lizards)."
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/animals/orangutan.html

"Orangutans eat 400 different kinds of food that consists of fruits (e.g., figs and durians), plants of various kinds (e.g., leaves, bark, flowers, vines and nuts), honey, insects, and occasionally the meat of mammals and even soil!" Orangutan FAQ, http://www.orangaid.com/faq.html

"In Sumatra, three adult females have been observed on seven occasions to hunt and eat slow lorises, and one female was observed to eat a gibbon. At Gunung Palung, a juvenile female orangutan once caught and ate a rat."
(http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~gporang/orangutans.html, http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5000416/abstract)

Orangutan Island: Season 1, Episode 8 – Aired: 1/12/2008, "Eaten Alive": "Jupiter takes to the water like a fish, and starts a trend by eating them."
http://www.tv.com/orangutan-island/eaten-alive/episode/1179020/summary.html

"Orangutans eat tons of fruit but they also eat leaves, seeds, bark and bulbs. Orangutans also occasionally eat termites and bugs and some smaller animals like fish[,] birds and small mammals."
Orangutan Fact For Kids
http://www.daughterearth.net/orangutanfacts.html
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 03:08:16 pm »
Time and again I've found that supplements are largely useless. Vitamin D can be easily gotten from raw shellfish among other sources.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 03:28:57 pm »
    I would go with fish too.  Around the time I started eating (raw wildcaught) salmon, after having eaten "nothing with a face" for decades, my bones got very noticeably better and my six month depression went away.  Sun certainly never did that for me, and supplements are never alone. Supplements don't make sense to me.  I look fifteen to twenty pounds less than I weigh, likely all because my bones have more weight to them than they used to.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 11:18:37 am »
D-3. You've got to feed him plenty of fat with it, otherwise it doesn't work as well.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 07:34:21 am »
Hey Phil sited this thread talking about primates and tools - but I searched all over for a vitamin d discussion at one point and couldn't get to one because the search engine insists that all words must contain two letters. I didn't know Cherimoya had a thread on it.

Cheri helped us much with allergies suggesting vitamin dee ( ;) ) - but I just want to add here that it is imperative to also supplement magnesium if you are taking vitamin d because vitamin d can use up your magnesium (learned that not so easy way).

Phil - so now I will always think of you as an orange orangutan when trying to picture you in my mind. ;D

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 07:37:15 am »
Phil - so now I will always think of you as an orange orangutan when trying to picture you in my mind. ;D
Thanks for the complement, Dorothy. I like orangutans and would say that spiritually I am much like an orangutan, yes (but not a noble savage, no, just a simple, ignoble beast that miraculously knows how to use a PC).

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 07:43:52 am »
You're quite welcome Phil.

... but... I'm afraid that I can't still help but to think of you as a "noble" beast. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk