Author Topic: handling stress  (Read 6444 times)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
handling stress
« on: July 21, 2009, 07:33:16 am »
A lot of the the foods and/or substances people consume are a means to alter perception.  There are probably some personality traits that we share just to have found our way here.  So how do you handle stress? That's got to be part of staying paleo, as giving into to altering foods/substances could be quite derailing. 

I've never been an emotional eater, more the opposite really.  I'm not hungry when I'm nervous or upset about something.  Haha, though there was a time I had a really bad day and I invited friends over for a hot fudge ice cream sunday dinner!  I've never smoked, drink excessively, drugs or anything either.  My outlet has always been athletics.  I absolutely have to work out daily with very high intensity or I just don't feel balanced, eventually I'll be less and less happy with life in general. My response to stress is usually something for endurance to exhaustion, I'll even fantasize about running until I actually get to go. Hopefully by the time my run is over I've figured out how I'm going to handle the situation too. 

How do you handle the stresses life throws your way?

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
Re: handling stress
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 09:10:26 am »

I find getting lot's of sun is good and combine that with exercise works pretty well.

I also find housework/physical work is good.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 10:20:47 am »
--talking long walks in the woods

--yoga

--tai chi

--reading/watching things that make me laugh

--video games

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 10:51:28 am »
Rest.  Sleep.

Decide. Do what needs to be done. Doing nothing is a decision as well.

Take a 3rd party point of view / perspective and see yourself now.

It really depends on what is stressing you. 

You can ask close friends.  You can discuss with complete strangers.

Sometimes a paradigm shift is needed.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 02:33:56 pm »
swimming mountain hiking general exercise reading SF books listening to music(classical)
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 03:22:54 pm »
    Fresh air, exercise, good company.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 06:40:14 pm »
philosophy

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 10:44:42 pm »
reading SF books listening to music(classical)

those are a couple of my pastimes as well.  Which authors do you enjoy?

William

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 05:22:12 am »
Stay out of cities, read (sf and pre-feminist fantasy), J.S. Bach, commune with Nature,  nap whenever I feel like it, live on pemmican, more.

This has been so successful that I find it useful to jack up mystress level with coffee (organic!) and cigarettes in order to do combat with the forces of darkness on the internet.    ;)

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 07:49:56 am »
Stay out of cities, read (sf and pre-feminist fantasy), J.S. Bach, commune with Nature,  nap whenever I feel like it, live on pemmican, more.

This has been so successful that I find it useful to jack up mystress level with coffee (organic!) and cigarettes in order to do combat with the forces of darkness on the internet.    ;)

lol

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 09:42:18 am »
there is a particular farmer at the farmer's market, i call him the 'goat guy' because he brings goat cheese and goat ice cream. he is so calm, peaceful, tranquil looking that i could stare at him forever (of course i don't do that).  but really, i am struck by him every time i see him. he lives 2 hours from the city on a goat farm in western virginia. he'll probably live forever.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 10:36:51 am »
I'd be pretty relaxed if I was a goat farmer too.

Myself and my bro have started to consider investing in a farm. Were thinking how hard could it be?  :)

Albert Camus

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 10:49:40 am »

Myself and my bro have started to consider investing in a farm. Were thinking how hard could it be?  :)

in my opinion, it's not too hard. after working on this farm for a few weeks i've noticed there's really not a whole lot that to it and very little that can go wrong. the only difficult part seems to be getting started (ie getting land, fencing it, and getting a source of water for the animals). after that it should be a pretty simple set up.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 11:34:47 am »

Yeah that's what we were thinking. There's also tax incentives. I would like to keep my place here in the city and make an income off the farm.

With cattle/sheep the risk factor not so high as with crops or investment in machinery.

Albert Camus

William

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 01:13:34 am »

Farming is easy; it's making a living from it that is hard - all the farmers from whom I buy grassfed organic meat have some kind of job.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 10:09:22 am »
I want a farm, and could probably buy one, but wouldn't want to have to make money with it. I'm going to wait until I have enough money to buy the land and everything with no need for any loans, and then be able to supply all my own food and need very little discretionary income and almost no bills. Sometimes farming can be very stressful, it usually is because of the economic policies of the state you live in.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 09:26:22 am »
When I ate a high-carb diet I was stressed and anxious. Meds, meditation, exercise, yoga, supplements, herbs, standard so-called "healthy" foods, etc. didn't help much. I tried everything that people recommended. Then when I ate Paleo the stress melted away--I could literally feel my muscles relaxing and releasing tension and even got feelings of euphoric well being. Unfortunately I gradually increased my carb consumption and some of the stress and anxiety returned, though not as bad as before. Then as I moved to ZC with lots of healthy animal and fish fats the increased calm and euphoria returned. Now people remark about how calm and composed I nearly always am, and I notice the frenetic, fast-talking, negativity of the carb eaters buzzing around more than ever. Sometimes I take a glance at what the most frenetic people are eating or putting in their shopping carts and it is invariably mostly high-carb foods.

One of my sisters eats tons of carbs and she can't stop talking endlessly at lightning-speed. Her fast-talking has worsened over the years while I have become calmer and calmer, so it's apparently less genetics than diet. I joke and say she does the talking so I don't have to.  ;)   I'm embarrassed to admit that in my high-carb days there were times when I would rapidly cluck along too. That is increasingly rare these days.

I do other stuff to relax too, including much of the above, but none of it has had nearly the effect of ZC RPD, so I won't bother to post it.

I've read some accounts about first-contact Native Americans and other traditional peoples who remarked that the "white men" talk too much.  :)  I've even noticed that from the videos of various hunter-gatherer groups I've seen, that the higher-carb dieters like the !Kung San seem to cluck-cluck more than the big-game hunters like the traditional Lakota and Inuit. The only fast-talking Lakota I've seen were big-time carb eaters who loved fry bread and the like--and one even extolled the virtues of fry bread. Little did he know, he displayed other examples of diseases of civilization from his love of fry bread: myopia, lack of much muscle fiber, malocclusion, teeth crowding and thinning hair.

You can learn much about many different things by studying traditional hunter-gatherers and emulating them and also studying high-carb dieters and avoiding doing what they do.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 09:46:37 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk