Author Topic: Niacin flush  (Read 17417 times)

William

Re: Niacin flush
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2009, 11:30:29 pm »
zaida, you must be living in another province - I live in Quebec, and get meat from a farmer in Ontario, and in both provinces the farmers tell me that the law requires them to transport the live animal to an approved abattoir/butcher, then they get the frozen parts they ask for, and I get them at the farm.

Yes, the fat is cheap, but none if it is grassfed because that's what the butcher can get. The farmers tell me that the grass-growing season is too short here to allow the oxen to get fat. Tastes yucky, but that's all there is.
Have not found a good source of grassfed fat.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2009, 12:09:09 am »
Grass fed fat from animals in the north is really only gotten in the fall when the animals have had time to put on fat.  So,,, try to line a source/rancher etc. and make arrangements to have them vacuum seal in 3-5 pound or less bags of back fat for you.  The processor can freeze it as they collect it for you, and then ship or pick up all at once.  Usually any extra fat earlier in the year from grass fed animals is used to mix in with their leaner parts to make hamburger tasty enough to sell.  I have a deep freeze.  They aren't very expensive and cost little to run.  When you get it vacuum sealed in smaller sizes it doesn't go rancid in the fridge after defrosting and sitting in the fridge.     Incidently,  this lack of fat in animals for most of the year has always made me wonder how primitives living in the north survived year around.  Yes, there is pemican that can be stored for 'leaner' times, and far far north there are seals and other ocean animals full of fat.  But in the cold northern interior, what must of they done to avoid rabid starvation?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2009, 04:56:22 am »
One thing you could do is eat mostly the brains, marrow, tongue and suet of the caribou during the lean months, though Stefansson said there was much less of that fat on the caribou during particularly lean months. Another is trade with the coastal peoples for seal oil and wale blubber.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

William

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2009, 06:53:15 am »
   Incidently,  this lack of fat in animals for most of the year has always made me wonder how primitives living in the north survived year around.  Yes, there is pemican that can be stored for 'leaner' times, and far far north there are seals and other ocean animals full of fat.  But in the cold northern interior, what must of they done to avoid rabbit starvation?

Very good question, wish I knew.

Offline zaida

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2009, 10:50:45 am »
Hello William,
Yes I live in Manitoba actually. There are rules and regulation too here about the animal going to the abattoir and getting inspected for human consumption. I have been getting my meat for the past year for dogs though and there are no rules or regulation in canada for that. If you find the right farmer too they can be very lenient compared to getting from a butcher. You can always buy the animal live as well provided you have somewhere to butcher it yourself. As far as grass fed goes I would suggest steering away from beef and looking more for lamb, goat, bison and elk as those proteins tend to be more natural and organic at least I find in my province. I have not been that fussy on the meat I have gotten for my dogs as I will take what I can get when it is a good price as feeding dogs raw gets pricey. I wont take meat with hormones and antibiotics though. Most farmers stick to guidelines so not to get sued or have the government come checking things out but there are a few who are willing to work with you. In my opinion if the meat has been raised right there should be no need for inspection or a special person to butcher it. In the wild it would have been done by anyone and probably anywhere. As far as a good source of fat in the winter months would bison not have held on to a lot of their fat? They tend to be very hardy and not to active especially in the winter. I would imagine that the fat would be less in the winter but it would still be some as to protect them from the elements. Also I would think we would have figured out about winter enough to bulk up ourselves in the fall to get a nice layer of fat on our bodies to help us get through winter. The nice thing about buffalo in canada too is that they are very rarely given any shots and tend to graze off the land. Getting a quarter or a half makes the price a lot cheaper. You really have to call around and check things out with a few places to get what your looking for. It took me over 8 hours one day just to find a supplier for buffalo tongue and heart but I now can buy them for 50 cents a pound. The organs as well. Time well spent :)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2009, 10:57:23 am »
 Incidently,  this lack of fat in animals for most of the year has always made me wonder how primitives living in the north survived year around.  Yes, there is pemican that can be stored for 'leaner' times, and far far north there are seals and other ocean animals full of fat.  But in the cold northern interior, what must of they done to avoid rabid starvation?

Some of those people died.
Some of those people traveled to better climates with better food.
Some people had survival techniques that may be worth investigating.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

William

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2009, 12:33:24 pm »
Thanks, zaida.

Will try for buffalo, and even sheep.

Offline DameonWolf

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2009, 04:53:24 am »
Ah yes that lovely sensation of meat sitting in the stomach. I've gotten it both with raw and cooked meat. Lack of bile flow, lack of enzymes, damaged intestinal track, allergies, toxin dumping ext. Don't be afraid of that term 'toxin', assuming it's a clique drives a lot of people away from a brilliant diet that is raw paleo. Why? Because so many people have different toxic debris in different spots, and this can take forever to get pulled out. When other people practicing the diet say toxins are rubbish quackery, then when people actually do go through detox they feel the diet isn't working for them. Thus they back off. 

What I do some times is just make some bone broth, warm it a bit and then toss raw meat in and eat with some ox bile. Works great for me. Broth I can safely say has saved my ass on numerous occasions now. Don't care if it's cooked, I care if it works. And as always, make sure it's 100 percent no supplemented no lies grass fed. Go and spy on the farm if you have to, it will really depress you how low some people will go to sell products. But you got to do it some times.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2009, 04:38:39 pm »
My understanding of green tripe is that it is the lining of the stomach, I think a cow has a few stomachs and that certain ones are used for green tripe. You could also get green tripe from a goat, deer, lamb etc I believe. 

My butcher and slaughterer is going to harvest green tripe for me.  They've never harvested it before.  Can you tell me any tips to tell them?  They are asking for tips.  I didn't know much to tell.  Also, I'd like any tips for eating it, if you think there's anything important to know.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline zaida

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2009, 08:32:41 am »
Good that they will get it for you RawZi, its a smelly job. Basically empty the stomach and rinse it out with water. I am still unsure of wether to consume the stomach content. I do not think it would be optimal. I am unsure of the details but I know the people I get my chickens from wash out the gizzard, which are a part of the digestive system of a chicken, and eat them.

Offline Raw Rob

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2009, 11:08:01 am »
Wow, I hadn't heard of green tripe until this thread, but I'll have to seek out a source for sure.

This pet food site mentions it helping with dogs' colitis. (I came to raw paleo-carnivore due to ulcerative colitis) I never thought about pets getting colitis. It's probably from eating grains in the commercial pet food. I suspect that I developed mine from my former grain-based diet. 

http://www.tripett.com/

I'm of the school of thought that all organs are really great for us. (Although I mostly eat just liver & sweetbreads in addition to my meat & fat.)

Offline zaida

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2009, 11:32:01 pm »
Yes unfortunately since we went and started changing our pets diet to more emulate ours they are now having a lot of the same health issues we are. Rawrob, that link you sent of tripe I have given to my pets before. I was not happy with it however since it was canned and there must be some sort of canning process the tripe must go through which must alter it a bit. I still haven't figured out the best way to eat it though as a human and do not think I will be able to eat it any time soon. I am still working on the meat and fat.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2009, 03:50:52 am »
Wow, I hadn't heard of green tripe until this thread, but I'll have to seek out a source for sure.

This pet food site mentions it helping with dogs' colitis. (I came to raw paleo-carnivore due to ulcerative colitis) I never thought about pets getting colitis. It's probably from eating grains in the commercial pet food. I suspect that I developed mine from my former grain-based diet. 

http://www.tripett.com/

I'm of the school of thought that all organs are really great for us. (Although I mostly eat just liver & sweetbreads in addition to my meat & fat.)

I would like to try tripe from a paleo source, somewhere any of you guys here on the forum recommend.  When I contacted NSB, they replied to me
The tripe has to be denatured with food grade green food dye in order for us to sell it.

Denatured?  I would think paleo people didn't denature their food with colors.  What ideas do you have for me?  Is it denatured to be palatable?  Is there a better way, if so?  I've had bad allergic reaction to green food dye.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk