Author Topic: Who hunts their food?  (Read 5618 times)

Offline primavera

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Who hunts their food?
« on: July 30, 2009, 11:25:23 pm »
Since starting raw Paleo, I've become curious about hunting.  I think I'd like to try it someday.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Who hunts their food?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 11:33:52 pm »
    Same here.  Haven't done it yet though.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 08:37:44 am »
I fish. Fishing is essentially hunting for fish. I only fish for food, not for sport. Sport fishing and trophy hunting always seemed a bit strange to me, but hunter-gatherer-style fishing and hunting for food always made sense. My brother-in-law is a good hunter, so I'm hoping he'll teach me some day. In the Boy Scouts I developed pretty good aim with a bow and I'm hoping to become a good bow hunter some day. I'll probably do rifle hunting too so I can hunt in both bow and rifle hunting seasons. I want to develop good aim first, though, to be a responsible hunter.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

William

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 08:49:45 am »
I'll probably do rifle hunting too so I can hunt in both bow and rifle hunting seasons. I want to develop good aim first, though, to be a responsible hunter.

Join your local shooting range, and read forums like
http://www.thehighroad.us/
http://thefiringline.com/ and others. 7mm-08 is the answer, unless you make your own, then it's 7x57.

Archers have wounded too many animals for my taste, unless they have developed major lurking/stalking/baiting skills which take years.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 09:05:14 am »
... Archers have wounded too many animals for my taste, unless they have developed major lurking/stalking/baiting skills which take years.

Yeah, that's the sort of skill that I'm interested in acquiring if I ever have the time. It may have to wait for retirement. Bow hunting has some advantages over rifle hunting too to my mind, but I'm not really interested in debating it until I've tried both. I'm still in the dreaming-about-it stage at this point anyway.

Ironically, during the brief number of years my father hunted he got a nice buck while bow hunting but never got anything while rifle hunting. Unfortunately, by the time I came along he had stopped hunting due to a bad ankle.

My brother-in-law has gotten deer both ways and he has gotten moose and bear with rifles. Venison is my favorite meat, so I would try deer hunting first.

Thanks for the links.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 09:12:18 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 04:45:09 pm »
I often hunt for live limpets and live sea-urchins(for their eggs).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 10:26:20 pm »
Since starting raw Paleo, I've become curious about hunting.  I think I'd like to try it someday.

I am acquainted with a mountain lake hunter and I buy what he hunts.  Usually turtle, fish, frogs.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 06:01:15 am »
I am acquainted with a mountain lake hunter and I buy what he hunts.  Usually turtle, fish, frogs.
People in Montserrat call mountain frogs "mountain chicken." :D

Offline Dan

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 02:08:45 am »
I've hunted pretty much everything deer-sized and smaller, and I can teach people the basics of how to shoot a rifle (accurately).

I'm trying to learn more about bows, but the only advantage I see would be for poaching  O0

For anyone wanting to research rifles, I'd stick with .308 or 30-06 for relatively cheap practice (surplus) ammo.  Stuff's ridiculously expensive these days.

William

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 06:47:24 am »
If you consider cheap and easy and effective for getting food, more food is acquired every year in the whole earth with .22lr than any other rifle. The days of plentiful big game are over.

Traps should be an option too, as well as nets.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk