Author Topic: Eating time and freshness  (Read 5969 times)

Offline zaida

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Eating time and freshness
« on: August 05, 2009, 02:10:17 pm »
When is too late to eat? I remember always being told not to eat neat bed time. What are the thoughts on this? Should you make sure you have at least a couple hours after your meal until bed? Or does digesting in your sleep not matter? Would it be easier to digest while sleeping or harder?

Also what about aging meats. I know chicken isn't aged but for beef, elk, lamb etc should we be getting these meats aged for 30 days or so or is it better to get the meat fresh from the kill? I know my cats don't like aged meats and sometimes my dog can get a bit fussy with really old chicken (if I forgot about it in the fridge for a while :P).

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Eating time and freshness
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 04:34:55 pm »
    I had a dog that aged chickens he caught himself, then dug them up and ate them.

I age chicken and eat it.  You haven't read aajonus' books, right?  There's instructions there for aging whitemeat.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 07:22:07 pm »
I find eating my big fatty animal meal around noon time the most optimal.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 09:23:02 pm »
Most people are found of aged meat, but many like it fresh as well. It's up to you, how you like it. The fat and the bones marrow are better eaten fresh, before it gets rancid. The flesh can be kept very long hung on a hook in a fridge or in cool and vented cage closed with wire mesh to keep the flies away. It dries with time, and after 1 to 4 months depending on the size of the piece it become hard and difficult to tear apart with the teeth and chew.

Here is what I posted in another thread :
Large pieces of meat can be kept several months hung on hooks in a fridge. The best is to buy a ventilated fridge (expensive) or find an old fridge without automatic defrosting. Frequent defrosting brings a lot of moisture inside, which dampens the meat, impede its drying and jeopardize its conservation. A panacea is to put the meat intermittently for some hours in a ventilated food drier adjusted to ambient temperature. I often do that for about 24 hours before to put my meat in the fridge. Another way to store and age the meat is hung in a box closed with wire mesh so that air can freely circulate all around the meat while flies cannot enter. It works fine outside the house when the temperature is not too warm nor freezing.   

No problem to eat in the evening and digest during your sleep. I normally eat twice a day, lunch and diner - without any breakfast. My meals timing vary somewhat according to my hunger or absence of it. I may eat sometimes a little bit between these meals - but never while sleeping  ;D ;)

Cheers
Francois
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 10:33:00 pm »
Re: eating before sleep: I think it depends on the food, how much you eat, and how long before bed that you eat.  I like to waint at least 3 hours before sleeping after I eat my last meal, but that's not absolute.  I find that it helps to go for a moderate walk after I eat. 

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 07:17:00 am »
I don't find it necessary to leave time after eating before going to bed any more (I used to when I ate modern foods and had GERD). I have gone right to bed after eating without problems, though it's not optimal. I also don't need a walk after I eat or feel stuffed or anything.

Interesting related story today. At a workplace BBQ, I was the only one who only ate meat and water, and everyone else said how stuffed they were and how they wished they could go home and sleep (they ate pasta salads, corn, chocolate cake, strawberry shortcake and soda pop with their meat). In contrast, I did not feel stuffed at all--just pleasantly full--and I said, "That was a nice snack," after I ate about twice the weight of food as everyone else.  :P
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 04:21:22 pm »
I prefer to sleep on an empty or light stomach. I believe its better. Sleep is when repair and rejuvenation takes place. Digestion disrupts this process.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 09:45:31 am »
I don't think raw meat puts any strain on the system that would be a problem for sleep. I tend to skip breakfast almost always, and as long as I don't eat a lot of carbs the day before it's fine. If I do I tend to get that carb drop feeling sometime in the morning, where you all of a sudden notice your stomach is gargling and you feel almost sick with hunger.

Offline nuclearember

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 08:40:18 pm »
Don't many animals sleep after eating? I know my dog and cats do...

Also, the parasympathetic nervous system (homeostasis and rejuvenation) kicks in when you're relaxed (including sleeping) and it facilitates digestion. The sympathetic nervous system (fight or flight) impedes digestion. This is why eating before exercise is contraindicated, while eating before a massage is healthy. Many of my clients stomach's start grumbling during a massage ... a sign of relaxation and ideal digestion conditions. Wouldn't sleep be similar?

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 10:10:20 pm »
When is too late to eat? I remember always being told not to eat neat bed time. What are the thoughts on this? Should you make sure you have at least a couple hours after your meal until bed? Or does digesting in your sleep not matter? Would it be easier to digest while sleeping or harder?
It's really just a personal thing. Most people can't handle going to sleep with food still digesting in their stomaches & then skipping breakfast.

Offline Raw in Florida

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 03:24:35 am »
I stop eating after dinner but usaully eat 1 raw egg an hour before bed. Sometimes I wash it down with a small glass of milk. This usaully helps me sleep well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk