Author Topic: Sulfur gas from eating cooked eggs  (Read 9815 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Sulfur gas from eating cooked eggs
« on: August 06, 2009, 07:45:01 am »
I used to get stinky sulfur burps from eating cooked eggs and didn't get it when eating raw, which is one reason eggs were one of the first meats I started to eat only raw.

Does anyone know why cooked eggs cause the sulfur gas? All the posts online I found about it assumed it must be because the eggs were undercooked, but I find the exact opposite. The most sulfurous eggs for me were thoroughly hard boiled eggs.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sulfur gas from eating cooked eggs
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 12:43:35 pm »
I loved eggs as a kid.  Oh man I could put down 4-6 of them for breakfast even at the age of 5.  I did notice they gave me 'egg burps' as I called them.  I also noticed that if I ate the yolks runny (my fav), I would tend to feel nausious, but not if they were totally cooked. 

Today I can eat raw eggs or fully cooked, neither makes me nausious, but still, if I do the mixed thing I'll get a little queasy if I eat 3-4.

My guess (on the burping issue), there is some kind of fat that has a strong taste.  Like garlic and volitile oils, or this lemon omega-3 fish oil I have will stay with me for awhile after drinking. 
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline SuperInfinity

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 02:57:05 am »
I loved eggs as a kid.  Oh man I could put down 4-6 of them for breakfast even at the age of 5.  

I could as well, but my dad who is about 80 thinks that is literally insane. He thinks that his 2 eggs a day is his bit of diet eccentricity  l) ... lol. He thinks it's a bit "excessive" because that's what the doctor told him. His one bit of rebellion against the medical establishment...

I've eaten two scrambled eggs, liked it and tried two more at my parent's house before. He thinks that's totally glutonous and overdoing it (he wouldn't say glutonous or anything... just you'd infer by him mentioning the fact).... the same when he saw me dispatching a carton of plums. That's partly why I always try to eat alone.

I've told him of people who eat six eggs on the internet (as he doesn't really use it ever) and he just doesn't comprehend it or thinks they're crazy. I've had to say it like a surprising thing....: "you can actually even eat six eggs in a day" (implying like you'd be done for the week then). 

The funny thing is he eats more than me in terms of calories I think, he eats bread and biscuits etc. etc.... as for me... two eggs sometimes, four eggs if I really feel like it.... almost never in my life did I eat more than that.

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 05:56:52 am »
I think the most eggs I've ever eaten in a day is something like 20, all raw.  I used to eat 8-10 eggs every day for a couple months about a year ago.  In fact, I once got my cholesterol checked after drinking 6 eggs for breakfast (you're supposed to fast for a cholesterol test but I didn't know that).  They took my blood about 30 mins later, and my cholesterol was at 200.  From what I've read, ideal is 180-200.  Any higher and you're increased risk for death from heart disease, any lower you're at increased risk for dying from all sorts of other stuff like cancer or failing organs, etc.

Now I only eat a couple every other day or so.  Just prefer beef.
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk