Author Topic: Question about teeth.  (Read 5550 times)

Offline SuperInfinity

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
Question about teeth.
« on: August 07, 2009, 11:48:37 pm »
If I have a few apples, then use mouthwash, then have a banana a half hour later... is that ruining the mouthwash effect? Maybe it would be the exact same as if you ate just the banana and nothing else?

I'd like if anyone could point me to in-depth information on it. Like I suppose the ideal thing would be to see the amount of bacteria after eating each thing and after brushing/rinsing/flossing.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: Question about teeth.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 06:23:13 am »
Yes, pretty much, unfortunately, which is why my hygienists and dentists were telling me to brush and floss after every meal and snack and use fluoride mouthwash, an oral irrigator and/or electric toothbrush, and a tongue cleaner. It took away much of the enjoyment of eating, because I was quickly washing away the flavor of what I had just eaten. It was a real bummer and extremely difficult to stick to. And even with all that stuff I was doing my teeth were still more crudded up then than they are now that I just brush and rinse once a day and occasionally use a toothpick!

Now that I'm mostly-raw carnivorous, with some necessary cheating at work, family dinners, etc. my teeth stay clean pretty much all the time, EVEN WHILE EATING!! Other than using a toothpick to clean out the occasional bit of meat stuck between teeth, there is not much to clean and my teeth feel pearly smooth, like I just got a professional cleaning. This has been one of the more amazing benefits. I used to wonder how Stone Agers and wild dogs kept their teeth clean. Now I know.

I find that raw meat, especially jerky, CLEANS the teeth, and suet just coats them temporarily--it doesn't stick the way that carbs do--and neither raw meat nor suet seems to create tartar. On the contrary, after being carnivorous for a few weeks (though keep in mind I was already VLC at the time), the tartar I had started crumbling off!!!! and the remainder came off easily with my tooth scraper (even with vigorous scraping in the past I couldn't get most of it off--it was like it was superglued on my teeth--even the hygienist had a hell of a time with it).

Did anyone else experience the tartar crumbling effect?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 06:31:21 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 04:45:19 pm »
The 1 big hassle I have wiith eating raw meat is the absolute need to clear out every last tiny bit of raw meat sticking in my teeth. I don't chew much, sometimes not at all, but, even so, I invariably end up with my various front teeth having bits of white stuck in them all over, requiring some time to get rid of with floss-sticks.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 04:23:29 pm »
The 1 big hassle I have wiith eating raw meat is the absolute need to clear out every last tiny bit of raw meat sticking in my teeth. I don't chew much, sometimes not at all, but, even so, I invariably end up with my various front teeth having bits of white stuck in them all over, requiring some time to get rid of with floss-sticks.

I notice that food more often gets stuck in between the teeth of mine that aren't straight than other places. Similar for you?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 04:41:02 pm »
I notice that food more often gets stuck in between the teeth of mine that aren't straight than other places. Similar for you?

All over the front-facing teeth, to be honest.But that's I suppose because I insist on eating raw wild hare carcasses and the like rather than just bolting down sanitised pieces of raw muscle-meat like most do.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 01:08:07 am »
The smell of my breath is what really was an amazing change.  It actually happened before RP when I decided to start eating more healthy, and to eat more fruit.  So I began to brush once every day or so (with toothpaste).  When I went RP I found that I didn't really need to brush anymore.  Occassionally strong spices will get the breath kicking at will stick for 1/2 a day, but other than that, I do pretty well.

I do get the meat stuck in teeth as well.  I started using my canines more instead of the front teath.  It's a bit messier, but you get to the meat better.  After a meal I just use my fingernails to pick out the strings.  They tend to work themselves out anyways.  In the morning I usually end up picking some out. 

I also get that film over my teeth, I'd say at least once a day I use my fingernails to scrape it off.
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline SuperInfinity

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 01:26:27 am »
The smell of my breath is what really was an amazing change.  It actually happened before RP when I decided to start eating more healthy, and to eat more fruit.  So I began to brush once every day or so (with toothpaste).  When I went RP I found that I didn't really need to brush anymore.  Occassionally strong spices will get the breath kicking at will stick for 1/2 a day, but other than that, I do pretty well.

I do get the meat stuck in teeth as well.  I started using my canines more instead of the front teath.  It's a bit messier, but you get to the meat better.  After a meal I just use my fingernails to pick out the strings.  They tend to work themselves out anyways.  In the morning I usually end up picking some out. 

I also get that film over my teeth, I'd say at least once a day I use my fingernails to scrape it off.

That's odd, I've been on RP for months and I swear it's causing me to be very particular about my teeth. My dentist also warned me about being on RP and the amount of fruit in the RP diet (at least 90%). Last time I did RP without brushing it cost me a tooth.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 02:25:59 am »
...I also get that film over my teeth, I'd say at least once a day I use my fingernails to scrape it off.
That went away for me when I eliminated the last of the carbs (fruits and nuts). Nothing to scrape off my teeth anymore.

For the occasional bits of meat between the teeth (I actually used to get more stuck between my teeth when I ate lettuce and broccoli frequently), I have a tiny Swiss army knife attached to my keychain that has a toothpick if I don't have any fresh ones handy. Some people might consider that gross, but I'm the only one that uses it and I just have to wipe it to keep it clean, so I've never gotten sick from it or had anything grow on it or anything.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 04:23:53 am »
eh, well I still get film even if all I've eaten for a day or so is meat and fat. 

SuperInfinity, at 90% fruits I could see why you may have some teeth problems.  All the sugar - granted it will probably do less damage than lets say, eating tons of candy, but still that's alot. 

I eat probably 5-10% non- animal source calories (tomato, avocado, pecans, coconut water).  The other 90% is pretty much beef, eggs, liver; occasionally a little chicken, scallops, oysters, or fish.  I do the occasional drinking (maybe once or twice a month), and sometimes throw in small amounts of bread or potatos or whatnot, but generally I'd say that's about where I am. 

I did a couple weeks at 90% vegitation when I first started RP, but I couldn't keep it up long enough to see if it did anything to my teeth.  I just couldn't get enough calories so I had to start eating more meat, particularly fat.  But funny enough, the only time I've ever had teeth problems is when I tried zero carb.  So I think (for me) there's something about fruit that does help protect teeth as well.   
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 05:38:27 am »
eh, well I still get film even if all I've eaten for a day or so is meat and fat.
It took a few weeks for it to clear up initially for me, so maybe that is a factor? Also, I don't know what you consider ZC, but when I ate even a small amount of berries or nuts the film would come back and be there again the next morning, even though I had brushed my teeth the night before. "ZC" for me is meat and fish, eggs, animal fat (no dairy), some organs and water (I was drinking tea too, but limit that to once a week or so now, because too much was giving me heartburn, and I figured I would move further toward a more truly raw nondairy ZC approach). Perhaps we are different somehow. Either way, I don't have teeth film anymore, other than the temporary film I mentioned that I get from suet or tallow, which is easily wiped away by my tongue or goes away on its own and doesn't stick to my teeth longterm like carbs do.

I wonder if you had trouble digesting animal fats, like I used to (and still do to a much lesser extent)? Transitioning gradually to ZC instead of going cold turkey seemed to do the trick for me. I went that route because I didn't like animal fats and didn't want to lose a lot of weight.

SuperInfinity, at 90% fruits I could see why you may have some teeth problems.  All the sugar - granted it will probably do less damage than lets say, eating tons of candy, but still that's alot.
Yes, and the acids in fruits like citrus and tomatoes also can do damage.

I eat probably 5-10% non- animal source calories (tomato, avocado, pecans, coconut water).
Tomatoes were another food I found I did better by eliminating. GoodSamaritan also did better when he eliminated tomatoes and all other nightshades. Coincidentally, recent research has linked tomato lectins to multiple sclerosis. But to each their own and your mileage may vary, of course.

But funny enough, the only time I've ever had teeth problems is when I tried zero carb.  So I think (for me) there's something about fruit that does help protect teeth as well.   
I wish that were the case for me, because I would prefer to be able to keep eating some berries, apples and other fruits. Maybe some day.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk