Author Topic: Even fruit flies prefer meat?  (Read 6619 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Even fruit flies prefer meat?
« on: August 13, 2009, 07:19:56 pm »
Fruit flies got into my apartment with bananas I had bought some time ago. I noticed that they seem to love beef blood drippings. I put out some honey to see which they would choose. Surprisingly, they chose the blood.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Even fruit flies prefer meat?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 02:32:26 am »
Flies lay their eggs in raw meat. That's why they go crazy for my horsemeat in Italy. Still, they also go for my watermelon as well.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 06:46:06 am »
Yeah, but I didn't know this was true of "FRUIT flies" in addition to house flies. I thought fruit flies would prefer fruit to meat. Just like I didn't know that all primates eat some nonplant foods, including some (tarsiers) that ONLY eat nonplant foods. This sort of info doesn't seem to get out into society much for some reason. Instead, we get bombarded with lies from some vegetarians, PETA, etc. claiming that primates are all vegetarians or fruitarians, that dogs are really omnivores that can do fine on a vegetarian diet and that humans are really herbivores or frugivores. The more I investigate these claims, the more I creatures I find that eat more fauna than is commonly known.

Maybe some day I'll have a chance to test this with literal fruit.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 06:54:01 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Raw Rob

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 06:54:26 am »
We have a few fruit flies. My sister has some vegetables and fruit hanging out all the time. They don't seem interested in the meat I have in my dehydrator. (I was thinking that they might be, but it hasn't happened at all.) They also didn't hang out on any of my dirty plates.

I haven't left any blood out though.

Perhaps it's just the blood that they like?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 07:04:25 am »
We have a few fruit flies. My sister has some vegetables and fruit hanging out all the time. They don't seem interested in the meat I have in my dehydrator. (I was thinking that they might be, but it hasn't happened at all.) They also didn't hang out on any of my dirty plates.

I haven't left any blood out though.

Perhaps it's just the blood that they like?
Yes, they like beef blood/juice and fresh, raw meat, but they don't seem to like my jerky either. They do like dried beef juice stains though, interestingly. Maybe the jerky is too tough for them to digest with their tiny mouths?

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 10:26:54 am »
Yes, they like beef blood/juice and fresh, raw meat, but they don't seem to like my jerky either. They do like dried beef juice stains though, interestingly. Maybe the jerky is too tough for them to digest with their tiny mouths?

It's probably the blood sugar.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 10:34:41 am »
But then why do they prefer the beef juice over honey?

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 10:47:14 am »
Hmm, sugar+vitamins and minerals=better than pure sugar?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk