Author Topic: Fruit and acidic mouth  (Read 10324 times)

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
Fruit and acidic mouth
« on: August 28, 2009, 08:17:23 am »
I don't eat fruit that often but when I do sometimes I get that feeling where you burp and then the back of your throat is burning. How to stop this? which fruits to avoid? One option is to just not eat fruit since I have done zero carb before but am trying to add some more fruit to my diet as an experiment.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Fruit and acidic mouth
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 09:50:24 am »
I don't eat fruit that often but when I do sometimes I get that feeling where you burp and then the back of your throat is burning. How to stop this? which fruits to avoid? One option is to just not eat fruit since I have done zero carb before but am trying to add some more fruit to my diet as an experiment.

Fruit are totally varied.  What fruit makes you burp and burns the back of your throat?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 09:57:36 am »
Citrus fruits and juices, grape juices and wine did that to me (the most acidic and some of the most sugary of the fruits and juices). There were some others too, but now I forget. Many fruits and juices also contributed to my throat mucus, sinusitis, dry and flaky skin and dandruff, dental plaque, bleeding gums, dental enamel erosion and caries. Eliminating all fruits and juices greatly helped me with all of these symptoms.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 04:47:14 pm »
Odd, I never had a problem with fruit re those symptoms. I do get a reaction from cod liver oil.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 05:27:12 pm »
I never juice those fruits... too sweet.

The only juice I do with fruit is lemon / calamansi + raw honey + lots of water, but not on an empty stomach.

I wouldn't eat citrus on an empty stomach, it's too irritating for me these days.

Can't relate to wine, I don't drink any.

The other thing we cannot really compare is the differences between US fruit and UK fruit and Philippine fruit.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 05:36:17 pm by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 05:47:01 pm »
Odd, I never had a problem with fruit re those symptoms. I do get a reaction from cod liver oil.

I tried eating some fruit today before I ate any meat and didn't have the reaction. If meat is in my stomach when I eat the fruit it tends to happen often, but has happened before when eaten solo. Because im used to eating meat by bolting it down, even when I eat fruit I still bolt it, perhaps has some effect.

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 08:26:39 pm »
I ate melons today and had a bit of the burping - not bad but on zero carb I just have no gas, no acidic feel, feel like I haven't eaten feel very light etc.

I was trying to eat more fruit since I thought its possible I could be missing some vitamins. It's known that meat has all the nutrients needed. Some of the nutrients it has in only small amounts but that is all that is needed by the body. However junk food particularly refined carbohydrates deplete the body of nutrients so eating nothing but meat you obtain everything you need, but add nutrient deficient carbohydrates and suddenly you lose some of the nutrition from the meat and find yourself lacking nutrients.

Now of course I don't want to eat junk food and the such but I'm 21 years old with somewhat ( -\ ) of a social life so every now and then find myself with no choice really but to indulge in crap. When I first started the raw zero carb some months ago I was very strict and nothing to complain about (couldn't make my gums bleed if I tried) but after eating out a bit more even though eating a lot of raw meat have found my gums bleeding on occasion, vertical ridges on my fingernails. and hair shedding. Who knows if adding fruit will only make these problems worse.

Problems could be stress related as well. I put myself under a lot of metal stress.

William

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 09:50:57 pm »

That burning sensation at the back of your throat is called a "stop".
It is a message from your immune system to you, meaning "DON'T EAT THIS, IT'S BAD FOR YOU."

Not all fruits are equal, for instance I can eat cherries and peaches in season, but not others.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 04:34:29 am »
I find that eating bone meal, dolomite, or healing clays with fruit really reduces the mood swings and tooth problems that fruit can cause.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 05:30:49 am »
vertical ridges on my fingernails

What do vertical ridges on your fingernails mean?

William

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 05:52:13 am »
What do vertical ridges on your fingernails mean?

I don't know, and wish I did.
I once asked a doctor about the groove (NOT ridge) in the middle of the long finger ( yes, that finger) of my right hand. He called it a ridge and didn't know what it meant.

I think that it's on the heart meridian (acupuncture/TCM?) and I have or had heart disease, and the groove is no longer deep, but this is one of the annoying things that must have been noticed and recorded by competent physicians/healers and there is no info available.
How can anyone do a proper diagnosis if they don't understand a clear symptom?

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 06:04:50 am »
I grew vertical ridges on my fingernails after 1 year on raw paleo... after adding raw meat to my diet. (from vegan then  fruitarian)
I'm on mostly meat + fruit.

I've been googling and it seems it is horizontal ridges we should worry about.

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 08:15:39 am »
I grew vertical ridges on my fingernails after 1 year on raw paleo... after adding raw meat to my diet. (from vegan then  fruitarian)

I've been googling and it seems it is horizontal ridges we should worry about.

yeah I goggled it as well. Horizontal ridges are apparently a bad sign, vertical ridges are something to 'not be too concerned about' though that's not very reassuring honestly.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 10:38:27 am »
I tried eating some fruit today before I ate any meat and didn't have the reaction. If meat is in my stomach when I eat the fruit it tends to happen often, but has happened before when eaten solo. Because im used to eating meat by bolting it down, even when I eat fruit I still bolt it, perhaps has some effect.
Hmmm, I don't bolt my meat, maybe that does have something to do with it? It sounds like you may have some gastritis and/or reflux going on (I used to have both and I think I still have some minor damage left from the gastritis).

An aside to Tyler--I should mention that dairy products used to give me throat mucus too, despite the study that claims that doesn't happen. When I drank orange juice or milk I'd often have to stand at the sink for a few minutes spitting out the mucus. It kept coming up after the juice or milk was gone, so the study's claim that the mucus is actually the milk fat did not apply to my case (nonfat milk had the same effect, BTW).

... When I first started the raw zero carb some months ago I was very strict and nothing to complain about (couldn't make my gums bleed if I tried) but after eating out a bit more even though eating a lot of raw meat have found my gums bleeding on occasion, vertical ridges on my fingernails. and hair shedding. Who knows if adding fruit will only make these problems worse....
That's interesting--some of my vertical fingernail ridges started disappearing years ago when I cut gluten out of my diet, then they gradually came back, and now since going carnivorous they've started disappearing again. It seems like carbs contribute to my nail ridges. When I searched the web on it, some people linked it to a deficiency in iron, calcium, magnesium or protein. Another thing that diminished when I cut out gluten and again when I went carnivore was white spots on my nails. These have been linked by many people to zinc deficiency. One ignorant doctor tried to explain the white spots away by saying they were from banging nails on bed headboards while sleeping (which didn't explain why I had them without a headboard or anything else solid to hit within arms reach of my bed, and also didn't explain why they disappear completely when I cut back on carbs and otherwise were always with me every single day).

That burning sensation at the back of your throat is called a "stop".
It is a message from your immune system to you, meaning "DON'T EAT THIS, IT'S BAD FOR YOU."

Not all fruits are equal, for instance I can eat cherries and peaches in season, but not others.
Thanks for the info, William. I got that burning from organic, sulfite-free red wine recently. It was terrible. I must be becoming more sensitive to this now that I'm nearly-raw carnivorous, because it was a much worse reaction than I'd ever had to a small amount of wine before.

I find that eating bone meal, dolomite, or healing clays with fruit really reduces the mood swings and tooth problems that fruit can cause.
Interesting, scientists have explained that chimps eat clays to detoxify when they eat a lot of plant antinutrients. Does it help with plant carbs too? I have some healing clays now and it would be good to know if I cheat on plant carbs that I have something that can reduce the side effects.

I grew vertical ridges on my fingernails after 1 year on raw paleo... after adding raw meat to my diet. (from vegan then  fruitarian)
What a puzzle. I wonder what mechanism can explain why the ridges appear with raw meat on your nails and disappear by cutting back on carbs on mine?

...vertical ridges are something to 'not be too concerned about' though that's not very reassuring honestly.
Yeah, that's a standard copout of doctors and other so-called "experts" who don't know the cause of something. It does nothing to explain why it changes with diet. I'm not concerned about it, I'm just curious. The lack of curiosity and the willingness to just dismiss physical realities or use old wives-tale explanations (like the headboard-banging explanation for white spots) instead of scientific explanation among the so-called "experts" is frankly disturbing and undercuts their credibility.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

William

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 11:18:49 am »

What a puzzle. I wonder what mechanism can explain why the ridges appear with raw meat on your nails and disappear by cutting back on carbs on mine?

It just occurred to me that this might be a matter of perspective. I see grooves, possibly because my nails were normally thick.
Horizontal grooves (where the nail is thin) are a good sign, meaning you are finished being sick, and no longer mineral deficient.

It follows that ridges could then mean better nutrition following general deficiency, this fits the theory that raw meat supplies all needed nutrients. In time, the whole nail would then become normally thick, and the ridges would disappear.

Does this make sense?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 10:52:41 pm »

Interesting, scientists have explained that chimps eat clays to detoxify when they eat a lot of plant antinutrients. Does it help with plant carbs too? I have some healing clays now and it would be good to know if I cheat on plant carbs that I have something that can reduce the side effects.

I think that blood sugar swings cause mood swings, and I think that the extra minerals temper this out by (maybe) acting as a buffer for blood pH.  So, generally-speaking, to answer your question, yes. :)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 04:13:33 am »
It follows that ridges could then mean better nutrition following general deficiency, this fits the theory that raw meat supplies all needed nutrients. In time, the whole nail would then become normally thick, and the ridges would disappear.

Does this make sense?
Well, you would be the only one I know of who is arguing that raised vertical ridges on fingernails are a sign of good health. Usually, the debate is between those who think it is a sign of a mineral or protein/enzyme deficiency (of varying degrees, from very modest to more advanced) and those who don't know what causes it and think it should be ignored (the usual quip is "don't worry about it").

It's interesting how perspectives in the health care field have changed. When I was a kid my family doctor used to check patients' fingernails, as one window on the health of the patient (along with the tongue and throat, heartbeat, etc.). Nowadays, physicians tend to rely more on numbers produced by blood and urine tests and seem to be gradually losing the art and science of recognizing symptoms in fingernails, tongues, throats, heartbeat, etc.

-----

Interesting info, cherimoya, thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk