Author Topic: Lex's Journal  (Read 824544 times)

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
Re: Lex's Journal
« Reply #375 on: March 18, 2009, 03:32:14 pm »
my thoughts are the same...what ever you seem to say!

The pemmican manual is good although you'll still stuff it up about half a dozen times before you get it right.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline primaD

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 18, 2009, 03:56:37 pm »
Glenn01 asked me if I ever got tired of eating the same thing every day.  I thought others might be interested in this as well so I'm posting my reply:
I do agree with your thoughts regarding eating when the body desires variety and eating when the body is hungry.  I also would rather not eat until I'm very hungry rather than eat raw meat at times  However I wouldn't eat the same thing at every meal on purpose.  If I have to then whatever but I am going to eat variety.  For me, the 100% RAF lifestyle means eating food in the way that it is meant to be eaten.  RAW.  That's it for me.  Food is supposed to be eaten raw, that's the only thing that matters to me.  Other than that, if it tastes good and I don't die from eating it then down the hatch it goes.  ;D  I try to keep things as simple as possible.  If I were in the wild, that's the only thing that would matter to me.

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 18, 2009, 09:26:56 pm »
Yesterday, 17th March I was on my way to Germany (I rid on the bicycle track over to Waldshut for my Argentine beef - it takes me about 3 hours, sun was shining and the farmers were out manuring  -v) and had a nice suprise in my letter-box; a parcel from Lex with some pemmican and jerky! I had a sniff and will save it for the Easter holidays ;)

When I am on my bicycle my mind starts working (well it works all the time but when you are active this is different); because Lex has a similar story to me I can connect better to his words. We make up our "understanding" of life as we go on. Well, things happen when we eat and our body try to cope with it! Medicine as many words and a lot takes place in our body. Adrenal fatigue (low cortisol) leeds to low stomach acid, which means bad digestion, which means undigested matter leakage into the body and attacked by antibodies = food sensitivities/allergies. O.k. I eat raw meat because I believe this is digested and healthy? Why are people on both raw or cooked meat either having problems or not? We always find medical terms for "maldigestion" but what is the point in taking raw adrenals or modern medicin to cope with what should do the job right in the first place?

Lex, you have eaten cooked meat for a time, you have eaten raw meat for a long time and you have eaten pemmican for day's/week's. All those forms MUST be different on the body/digestion and elimination. If we should be eating raw, like all animals too then as you say vegetation could be a problem. You have learnt to understand your own body/digestion and elimination. Is the raw meat and fat the one you understand best - does it differ from cooked meat and dried meat?

I don't quite understand the fill (eating) - digestion - elimination (what to expect because this changes like the weather and this must be the resolt of eating, drinking and activity)! I don't like to tell my body to get on with it all the time because it has to cope with what I do.

I can not put up with the word "detox" because if raw meat and fat is best the whole story should be human right until elimination!

Sorry to bother you on your 25 hour day but you have done it all and your feet our on the ground.

Nicola

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 19, 2009, 02:12:37 am »
Nicola,
I think what you are asking is why, if some specific food, say raw meat, is the proper thing for us to eat, then why do we (and so many others) have different experiences with it - sometimes good, sometimes not so good.

I've thought about this a good bit myself and have come to what I believe is a reasonable explanation.  Just a theory of course, but the idea seems to hold true in other areas of the natural world.

I've always loved plants and came very close (but not quite ;D) ) to getting a degree in Ornamental Horticulture.  I love the natural form that plants take.  It is fascinating to watch the form of a tree develop from seedling through maturity.  Stick with me here, there is a point, albeit a long one.

When we plant a tree seed in its natural environment, the seed sprouts when conditions are right, and depending on the type of tree, a tap root is sent down in search of water.  If things go well, the tap root will reach the underground water source before a cycle of drought sets in and the tree survives - often for hundreds of years.

Now take the same tree seed and plant it in a commercial nursery setting.  First the seed is planted in a tray until it spouts.  It is then transferred over time to larger and larger containers, until, at some point, it is sold.  The proud owner takes it home, often to an area and/or climate that is not natural for that tree species.  He plants it in his garden and cares for it by watering it 3 times a week with sprinklers as he waters is lawn.  The tree appears to be doing fine.

Then drought strikes.  The water company rations water and now the garden must fend for itself.  We expect the grass and flowers to die because they have such shallow roots, but what about that big tree in the corner?  Well there is a good chance it will die as well.  You see it never developed a tap root to reach the water table.  The original seedling tap root was destroyed by growing the tree in a container.  Then by watering it constantly through out its life there was no need to develop a new tap root as there was plenty of water on the surface.  In sort, the tree was not allowed to develop naturally.  This is why, when a fruit orchard is abandoned and irrigation stopped, most of the trees die.  They never developed their natural tap root system to reach subterranean water.

Now it is possible to condition a tree like this to survive during drought.  You must alternate shallow and deep irrigation cycles, withholding water after the deep cycles to encourage the tree to sink its roots deeper.  This process can take several years, and it causes a lot of stress to the tree, but it can be done.

What does all this have to do with us and diet?  Well, my thinking is that we are often fed incorrect foods from the time we are born, (just like the tree in the nursery).  Our bodies do their best to adapt to the unnatural environment.  Enzymes appropriate to the foods we are eating become dominant.  Bacteria in our digestive tracts develop to feast on the large carb load we consume.  The large mass of waste products created (fiber anyone) distends and weakens our colons.  Our muscles and other body systems become used to large amounts of blood glucose always being present.  In other words, like the tree in the corner of the yard, we've created a totally unnatural environment for our bodies for most of our lives.

Then we suddenly decide that what we are doing is not right, and embark on a new path that is completely opposite from what we were doing before.  No longer are we going to eat cooked starches, we're now going to eat nothing but meat and  we're going to eat it raw!  To our bodies this is creates an environment similar to our corner tree suddenly experiencing drought.  The enzymes our bodies are making are suddenly inappropriate for the new food we are eating.  The large amount of bacteria in our digestive tracts that are dependant on carbs and fiber to survive start to die off, creating toxins in the process.  The massive fiber load disappears from the digestive tract as the meat and fat leave little waste so there is nothing to push the dying bacteria through.  First we become constipated and then the toxin load causes diarrhea.  We are stressed just like we stressed the tree to cause it to extend its root system, and this causes us to worry that our new diet is not the correct one after all because we're having all these horrible problems.

Well, like adapting the tree to again be able to survive in normal water/drought cycles (which is its true natural state), it will take time for our bodies to adapt to the new foods, even though they are actually our proper foods.  Our bodies must shut down production of enzymes for digesting carbs and create new enzymes for digesting fat and protein.  Our intestinal flora must change from fermentive bacteria to putrefactive bacteria.  Our colons must shrink and adapt as best they can to the much smaller load of waste products.  Our muscles and other body systems must adapt to using fat and ketones instead of glucose for fuel.  Like forcing the tree to deepen it's root structure after its tap root was destroyed, this may take a considerable amount of time and involve a lot of stress.  I've been at it for 5 or 6 years now (3 of them meat only), and I'm still seeing changes.  Also, like the tree, we'll never have a proper "tap root" as we weren't allowed to develop properly from the beginning.  We can get much better, but probably never reach true 'normal'.  For instance, once we've stretched our colons from years of consuming a heavy fiber and carb load, they will never shrink back to the size they should be.  Better? - yes.  Best? - no.

Anyway, this has been my experience and there are many examples of initially raising something outside its natural environment and then requiring much attention and time to readapt it to survive on its own in natural conditions.  Our bodies are no different.

Thoughts?

Lex
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 02:20:22 am by lex_rooker »

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 19, 2009, 07:05:46 am »
Well you sent me the pimmecan, then I have the picture of the raw beef (organs) and fat (suet, muscle fat, marrow) that I have been eating for over a year now and I have been checking how people get on with cooked meat. It all takes time but some people become bloated, have cramps, runny stooles and all kinds of signals.

When I look at pemmican or raw meat it's all liquid and any extra fat is more liquid (cooked meat is the same; it only gives me a lump feeling plus I don't like the idea of eating cooked meat or fat) then we top it up with water. It is then the elimination which kind of puzzels me.

You ate essener bread; I ate it because I am bload typ A and I believed that fiber and bread was healthy. Well it was to much of a good thing and I ended up in hospital for a week.

Delfuego's and children are eating pemmican and drinking lots of water with the food (not any salt); digestion and elimination is o.k.. This did not work with cooked meat and fat. Raw meat and fat was o.k. but did not help with the Lyme illness (I read this is connected with adrenal fatigue!!!!). It's all liquid, little to no fiber yet digestion and health are affected. What we eat, the amount of water we drink must all affect the whole picture.

Geoff mentioned feeling dehydrated on zerocarb. Others feel no need to drink or drink very little. Some eat cooked because raw gives them diarrhoea. Others eat raw and call diarrhoea detox...Zerocarb members have undigested food in the elimination on both raw and cooked meat...this is why I asked about salt because the problem is adrenals/stomach acid which should be put right with the right food which is???Raw/cooked???

I go to a very kind butcher for my fat and marrow; he has a dog but he feeds him cooked meat because he get diarrhoea from raw meat and raw marrow.

Nicola

William

« Reply #380 on: March 19, 2009, 08:03:54 am »
When I eat pemmican I get musical stomach.

Offline Daryl

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 24, 2009, 03:37:53 am »
Yes, Charles and his followers have made it clear that my ideas and real world experience are not welcome.  I post very little to his forum and what posts I do make, I make sure they tow the party line.

Lex
Lex, I hate that. I've seen some instances of very rigid thinking over there, and a resistance to thinking that doesn't fall into line, at times.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 24, 2009, 01:00:36 pm »
Lex, I hate that. I've seen some instances of very rigid thinking over there, and a resistance to thinking that doesn't fall into line, at times.

Hi Daryl,
Charles owns that forum and I respect his right to run it any way he wishes.  Some will fit well into the culture he has built and others will not.  I would not want Charles to change what he does to accommodate me or anyone else.  It is the differences that provide interest and choice.  If I insisted that every forum that I am a member of accommodate everything I want then they would essentially all be the same and there would be little difference between them - boring.  The variety is good for everyone.  Every forum is a reflection of the personality of it's creator and that is as it should be.  If our points of disagreement are too great, I can always choose not to participate.

The truth is that running a forum is far more work than I'm willing to take on.  I'm grateful to the considerable commitment others make to do so, and therefore willing to live within whatever boundaries they set.  The owners and moderators of this forum have been exceptionally open to discussion and debate of many different ideas and that's why I choose to call this forum home.

Lex     
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 01:09:42 pm by lex_rooker »

JaX

« Reply #383 on: March 28, 2009, 08:00:57 am »
Lex, How high do you generally keep your organ meats (%-weight wise of total meat consumption)?

Is it just the regular heart/liver/kidney/tongue you use, or do you also eat pancreas/lungs/other special organs occasionally?

I'm wondering because I really don't crave organ meats ever, even though I've pushed myself to eating them enough to overcome my disgust for them (when I first started eating organs they tasted horrible, now I can eat them but they still don't taste good). I'm at 90% muscle meats 10% organs.. You think it's necessary to eat more organ, or is  (mostly) all  muscle meat fine?

Often I've also noted I burp a lot after eating things like liver/kidney... Have a taste of like eggs in my mouth.. I don't think it digests as well as muscle meats, but it could be that the problem lies in the quality of the organ meats I am getting (which are organic, but not 100% grassfed)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 08:06:40 am by Seeker »

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 28, 2009, 08:23:02 am »
Just a quick answer Seeker I think Lex uses a mixture of the Slanker's dog and cat food mix which is muscle and organs and mixes that with the course ground chili meat and suet. Somewhere in this thread he gives the exact proportions if you want to look for it. I'm not sure if anyone knows exactly how much organ is part of the dog and cat food mix though.

But I'm where you are with organs. I've gotten over the outright disgust of them by forcing myself to eat them, but I still don't like them.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 28, 2009, 10:12:02 am »
Lex, How high do you generally keep your organ meats (%-weight wise of total meat consumption)?

Seeker,
Kyle is spot on with his reply.  I mix Slankers Dog & Cat food with their course ground Chili Meat.  The D&C is probably about 25%-30% organ meats and that includes heart, tongue, and everything else.  There is not a lot of any one thing in it. 

My normal mix is 1.5 lbs D&C (1 package) to 2.0 lbs ground beef (1 package) and about 1/2 lb of ground suet.  If organ meats comprised 1/3 of the D&C this would be about 8 oz (0.5 lb) per 1.5 lb package. 

1.5 lb D&C
2.0 lb Ground Beef
0.5 lb Suet
----------
4.0 lbs total weight

0.5 lb(offal) divided by 4.0 lbs total weight = 12.5% offal or organ meats.

This is my best guess based on conversations with Ted Slanker, and even if you double this amount it isn't all that much.  To be honest, I'm no longer convinced that we require a large intake of organ meats.  There are many who don't eat them at all and are doing exceptionally well.  I've become accustomed to the taste and now prefer my mix to straight ground muscle meats, however, I'm not a real fan of straight kidney/liver/spleen/etc and never purchase them or eat them individually - just as part of the Pet food in my mix.

When I make pemmican I do not include them either.  My pemmican is just plain lean muscle meat mixed with fat and no seasonings.  I find that dehydrating the meat creates a more concentrated flavor that develops as you chew it.

Hope this helps,

Lex

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #386 on: March 29, 2009, 08:53:05 pm »
Lex, you specifically mention avoiding raw carbs and avoiding raw dairy but never mention raw eggs. Do you still eat raw eggs or have you given them up as well?

Secondly, do you ever use raw condiments for your raw(or cooked) meals, these days, such as raw mustard, raw garlic, raw pepper or whatever?  If you don't, is this because you're afraid that even such small amounts might pull you out of the zero-carb-phase/ketosis-range etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 30, 2009, 01:50:07 am »
Lex, you specifically mention avoiding raw carbs and avoiding raw dairy but never mention raw eggs. Do you still eat raw eggs or have you given them up as well?

Tyler,
I've never really eaten raw eggs.  I just don't like them.  I do eat lightly scrambled eggs once or twice a year when on vacation.  It's one of those things I do to be sociable with others I'm traveling with (my wife enjoys vacationing with her sisters and extended family so when we travel it is usually as a group of 6 to 10 adults).  I find that when I eat much in the way of cooked breakfast foods (eggs, bacon, sausage, etc) I will start to retain large amounts of water and my legs, feet, and ankles will swell up with edema.  Therefore I ususally avoid them except on rare occasions.

Secondly, do you ever use raw condiments for your raw(or cooked) meals, these days, such as raw mustard, raw garlic, raw pepper or whatever?  If you don't, is this because you're afraid that even such small amounts might pull you out of the zero-carb-phase/ketosis-range etc.

I seldom use any condiments with the exception of a bit of salt and maybe some pepper or a light sprinkle of garlic powder for a little change of pace.  It has nothing whatever to do with being zero carb or maintaining ketosis - I just don't need them and actually prefer my food without  seasoning for the most part.  The Pet food in my meat mixture gives plenty of flavor, and since the pet food mix is different for each batch the flavor varies a good bit which keeps things interesting.  I used to love Mexican Salsas made from peppers, onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and garlic, and would load it on everything I ate, but now I find I no longer want it at all, and actually find myself avoiding it.

I've even given up seasoning my jerky for the most part.  I now find that the concentrated flavor of the dehydrated meat is enough.  I still make a batch with the salt/pepper/garlic powder now and again, but my wife and son are the ones who eat most of the seasoned stuff.

I've found that red meat and fat seem best overall.  I can eat my fill of red meat and I'm satisfied for the day.  Chicken, fish, sea food, etc are not nearly as satisfying and I find that I get hungry again very soon when I eat them (sort of the Paleo version of Chinese food ;D ).  If stuck with chicken, fish, or the like for any length of time I find I start to crave red meat and especially the fat from red meat animals.

I essentially have little or no variety in my meals at all, and what is remarkable is that I no longer desire any.  I eat much like you would feed your dog or cat - the same food every day, red meat and fat, and I relish it.  Maybe 2 or 3 times per month I eat a rare rib-eye steak at a restruant when out with friends, or eat pemmican as my primary food when traveling, but that's about it.

Probably more than you wanted to know.....

Lex

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #388 on: March 30, 2009, 03:10:38 am »
Well, you do seem to have some variety in that your  cat/dogfood raw organ-mixture seems to vary continuously.

My experience is much the same as yours re rarely using  raw condiments any more. However, given that I'm constantly asked questions by newbies about how to prepare raw meats, what spices to add etc. ,I've decided to do a bit more research into the whole business of raw-food preparation, so I'm better able to answer such questions in future.(though I've been referring any jerky/pemmican-related questions to you and your online pamphlets/PDFs, as you're the resident expert re those subjects.Hope you don't mind).

As regards raw seafood/fowl etc. , I don't have the same experience. If I'm eating raw wild mallard duck, for example, I feel quite full afterwards. Same goes for raw oysters. I do find that some raw seafood such as the raw prawns aren't as filling in the long-term, but that may just be due to lower nutritional status(being farmed?). Indeed the lower the nutritional value of the food, such as cooked food, the less they satisfy my appetite, so that I often feel the need to eat more, then.

Re cooked-food/carbs:- So, which has the worst effect on you? Raw organic fruit or veg, or cooked(and processed) animal foods such as a piece of smoked, preservative-filled meat, say?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 06:08:41 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 30, 2009, 06:47:10 am »
I've been referring any jerky/pemmican-related questions to you and your online pamphlets/PDFs, as you're the resident expert re those subjects. Hope you don't mind.

Don't mind at all. 

Re cooked-food/carbs:- So, which has the worst effect on you? Raw organic fruit or veg, or cooked(and processed) animal foods such as a piece of smoked, preservative-filled meat, say?

I don't seem to have any immediate problems with cooked bacon, sausage, or eggs on the rare occaions I eat them (usually while on vacation) unless I eat them several days in a row and then severe edema is the result. I'm pretty sure the edema is caused by the chemicals and preservatives because I do eat a rare cooked rib-eye steak 2 or 3 times a month without noticable problem.  The last time this happened was when I was on a 3 week vacation last May and I had breakfast with my wife and family every morning. My feet and ankles swelled to double their size, I couldn't get my shoes on, and the skin was stretched to the point of discomfort.  The edema doesn't happen with just one meal - only after several closely spaced meals. I'm sure even one meal must cause some water retention it's just not enough to be noticable.

I think the last time I had a piece of fruit was Christmas 2 years ago and then it was only one small orange. I didn't experince any physical problem but I found that, like potato chips, it was very difficult to eat just one, so I just decided to eliminate them ( and the temptation) all together.  Haven't had any fruit since. 

I haven't had a green veggie of any kind for so long I can't remember.  No dairy other than butter for several years as well so I have no clue here either.

Lex

Offline Elli

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: April 02, 2009, 10:28:22 am »
I loved when you said..

I finally figured out that trying to "control" things was silly.  Our ancestors didn't control BG, Cholesterol, or anything else.  They ate their food and lived their life.   I also realized that I had no way to interrpret the data I was gathering.  If BG was 85 or 105 who knows what that means for someone eating a totally carnivorous diet?  My doctor is concerned because I have ketones in my urine at all times, again, so what?  He has no experince to tell him if this is "normal" for someone eating as I do.  The medical community has no idea if my cholesterol level and hdl/ldl ratio is good or bad as they have zero experience with someone like me.

It's true that many can benefit from controlled way of eating but that's only because what they were eating in the first place was not healthy to begin with. I'm trying hard to let go of all that control I was putting on myself and really live my life. And one day I will.

I've downloaded your pemmican manual and read it many times over. It's rather unfortunate that my current circumstances don't allow me to make my own batch because I'm so intrigued by the whole process. I'm so curious about it's flavour and how it would affect me. I might ask USWellnessMeats if they would ship some to Canada but I guess they wouldn't. Everytime I hear the word pemmican, it reminds of you and I wish so badly that I could try it.

Take care, Lex.

William

« Reply #391 on: April 02, 2009, 09:31:51 pm »
I might ask USWellnessMeats if they would ship some to Canada but I guess they wouldn't.

I just called USWellnessMeats, and you are right, they won't ship to Canada. She said NAFTA requires so much paperwork that it delays too much.

What a pity.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 01, 2009, 07:26:34 pm »
...my thinking is that we are often fed incorrect foods from the time we are born, (just like the tree in the nursery).  Our bodies do their best to adapt to the unnatural environment.  Enzymes appropriate to the foods we are eating become dominant.  Bacteria in our digestive tracts develop to feast on the large carb load we consume.  The large mass of waste products created (fiber anyone) distends and weakens our colons.  Our muscles and other body systems become used to large amounts of blood glucose always being present.  In other words, like the tree in the corner of the yard, we've created a totally unnatural environment for our bodies for most of our lives.

Then we suddenly decide that what we are doing is not right, and embark on a new path that is completely opposite from what we were doing before.  No longer are we going to eat cooked starches, we're now going to eat nothing but meat and  we're going to eat it raw!  To our bodies this is creates an environment similar to our corner tree suddenly experiencing drought.  The enzymes our bodies are making are suddenly inappropriate for the new food we are eating.  The large amount of bacteria in our digestive tracts that are dependant on carbs and fiber to survive start to die off, creating toxins in the process.  ...
Yes, and a study I heard about recently even confirmed that which bacteria dominate our guts changes depending on what we eat, and the bacteria that are there signal the brain to desire more of the foods that those bacteria eat. So if we eat lots of white flour pizza, we feed refined-carb-loving bacteria, who multiply and send signals to the brain for more refined carbs.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 04, 2009, 07:32:00 am »
If someone could find the link to that study or journal article I'd be very interested.

Offline atanas

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 11, 2009, 03:26:33 am »
Lex,
I read the whole journal and I am very fascinated from your journey, your thinking and the way you express yourself through your writings. First of all I want to wish you good luck and thank you for sharing all the valuable information and ideas with us. I am new in the "carnivore" WOE and I have a few observations/questions based on what I read so far. I would appreciate any insight or ideas:

1. I noticed that when you first went "higher fat-lower protein", you initially lost weight (160-155); still though after a few weeks on the diet you claim that higher fat ratios might cause you to gain weight. Did I interpret that correct?
2. I have also noticed that you believe there is some kind of association/relation between calories and weight gain? Do you have anything new to add here? or maybe expand your rationale a little bit further?
3. When you went on a trip and you had to dine on the breakfast buffet at the hotel, you gained 9-10 pounds. I know that sometimes bacons and processed-meats contained small amounts of glucose. Do you think that this might have been the reason you ended up with a weight gain?

atanas
P.S I really liked the pemmican manual!

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 11, 2009, 04:51:58 am »
This is an extract from a privat message I had from you Lex (about mental issues):

It does take time for our body to adapted to ZC. I'd say it was about 2 years before bowl movements and my general digestion became what I'd call normal. I still get loose bowls, (not really diarrhea) when I switch to pemmican when traveling. After a few days I'm back to normal. This happens again when I switch back to my normal raw meat when I get home.

When and what do you drink (RO-water, mineral water, tap water) when traveling vs. when you are at home (or in your shop)?
Do you feel any difference with the kind of water you drink and could the kind of water and amount affect your bowls (just a thought!)?

Do you drink threw out the day, whilst eating, after eating? Does your activity level influence your hydration? Does the pemmican influence your hydration vs. raw meat and fat? Do you ever feel bloated on either? Which of the two feels better?

Nicola

Satya

« Reply #396 on: May 11, 2009, 05:34:02 am »
Nicola, your new avatar is beautiful!  You inspire me to eat meat + fat + water only.  No summer fruit for me this year!!!

Hi Lex, I hope you will update your journal soon with your latest adventures.  Be well.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 11, 2009, 11:30:48 am »
If someone could find the link to that study or journal article I'd be very interested.

I'm not sure what study Phil is referencing, but I've read similar theories in the past and I'm pretty skeptical.  The stuff I read was poorly done and the documentation was practically nonexistent.  All they really had were some "extrapolated" guesses based on subjective comments about "feelings" after eating various foods.

I also have not found this to be true for me.  My cravings for various foods lasted long after intestinal bacteria would would have changed. 

I too would be interested if Phil had something a bit more scientific on the subject.

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 11, 2009, 11:56:06 am »
Hi Nicola,
First I'm going to ask you to do me a favor when you quote me or anyone else from a different source where you must cut-n-paste.  After you paste, please highlight and select the text and then either bold, italic, or underline it.  This will clearly set it apart from your comments or questions.  Sometimes it is very difficult to tell where the quote stops and your words begin.

When and what do you drink (RO-water, mineral water, tap water) when traveling vs. when you are at home (or in your shop)?
Do you feel any difference with the kind of water you drink and could the kind of water and amount affect your bowls (just a thought!)?

I now pretty much drink tap water at home and the cheapest bottled water when traveling.  Our city water comes from a deep well so it has a pretty high mineral content.  The bottled water is just convenient when traveling.  Once in a while we'll have a party and we always provide bottled water which I drink as well.  I've never noticed any difference from drinking water from different sources.

Do you drink threw out the day, whilst eating, after eating? Does your activity level influence your hydration? Does the pemmican influence your hydration vs. raw meat and fat? Do you ever feel bloated on either? Which of the two feels better?

I drink whenever I'm thirsty.  Usually have 1/2 liter shortly after I arise in the morning, maybe another 1/2 liter midday, and then 1 to 2 liters after eating - all driven by thirst. 

My thirst is very dependent on activity level as well as temperature.  On hot days when I'm working hard I may drink 12 liters or more, on cool days when I'm just lying around I may only drink a liter or two total for the day. 

Pemmican is also a factor.  I require about 50% more water after eating a meal of pemmican than when eating a meal of raw meat and fat even though the nutritional content is about the same.

I do notice a change when going from raw meat to pemmican and back.  Each change may cause a bit of gas or bloating but this only lasts for a day or so and then I'm fine until I change my primary food again.

I actually prefer my raw meat and fat over pemmican.  Pemmican is wonderful when traveling and serves a very important function, but to me there is just no substitute for completely raw meat and fat.

BTW, I agree with Satya, your new avatar is stunning.   Whatever you are doing seems to be working....

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 11, 2009, 12:20:47 pm »
Welcome aboard Atanas!

1. I noticed that when you first went "higher fat-lower protein", you initially lost weight (160-155); still though after a few weeks on the diet you claim that higher fat ratios might cause you to gain weight. Did I interpret that correct?

This is correct.  The initial changed caused a short term loss in weight followed by a very slow but continued weight gain until I had exceeded my original weight by 10 lbs and then it seemed to stabilize at this new higher level.

2. I have also noticed that you believe there is some kind of association/relation between calories and weight gain? Do you have anything new to add here? or maybe expand your rationale a little bit further?

I really have no idea whether calories are involved or not.  I suspect that it has more to do with the large increase in dietary fat in triglyceride form supplying enough additional Alph-Glycerol-Phosphate for the body to create new triglycerides of its own for storage as body fat.  This is just pure speculation of course and may be total nonsense, but this idea would seem to reconcile weight gain in the absence of insulin and glucose, and would support Taubes research as well.  It is also interesting that children on a Zero Carb ketogenic diet for epilepsy must consume 85% to 90% calories as fat to grow and achieve normal weight gain while on this therapy.

3. When you went on a trip and you had to dine on the breakfast buffet at the hotel, you gained 9-10 pounds. I know that sometimes bacon and processed-meats contained small amounts of glucose. Do you think that this might have been the reason you ended up with a weight gain?

I really have no clue about this.  I only have experience itself.  There is no way to know what was in the foods served at the breakfast buffets.  I can tell you I was very surprised (and annoyed) by the massive edema caused by eating these foods.  I thought I was doing great as I was maintaining very close to ZC even if there was a small amount of sugar in the sausages and bacon.  It also could have been the sulfates, nitrates, or a host of other junk normally found it processed foods.

I've solved the problem by relying on pemmican when traveling.  I do enjoy a rare steak on occasion so will eat a meal once a week or so at a steakhouse when traveling. All the other meals are pemmican and water (sounds like prison food doesn't it), and I feel great - problem solved.

Lex

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk