Author Topic: Lex's Journal  (Read 824486 times)

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
Re: Lex's Journal
« Reply #425 on: May 30, 2009, 01:40:21 am »

Getting to that gym rat level requires extreme dedication and chemical help. The only way I could get like that is with steroids and carbs. Building muscle is difficult.

I lift weights so I feel good and enjoy my sports more. A friend of mine is also a gym rat, I played three games ping pong against him and the guy was puffing (I was shocked!)

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 30, 2009, 05:55:48 am »

What was also interesting was that one of the doctors commented on the fact that for my age my body had very little fat, and muscle tone was more like someone 20 to 30 years younger.  He wanted to know what my fitness routine was.  It blew him away when I told him I didn't have one - never went to the gym or did any exercise other than walk to the market or post office on occasion. ( no, I didn't tell him about my diet.  They have all these charts around the office pushing fruits and veggies so you get all those antioxidants to keep you in good health.  I've found when I mention that the plant stuff doesn't work but raw meat does, their eyes glaze over and they tune out - so I no longer bother)

So there you have it. 

Lex
Fantabuloso Lex! Actually, since you've got the attention of these folks they might find you a bit credible. You wouldn't have to say raw meat--that turns people off--you could say "ancestral diet" like I do, or low carb or something. But I don't blame you for not wanting to get grief over it. Besides, the more people that find out about it, the more they'll drive up the prices of meats for the rest of us. The really interested ones will find this site, like I eventually did through a long trail.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 04, 2009, 08:31:43 am »
Lex, that's amazing!... I'm very happy for you!!

Thanks for sharing, your experiences are very inspiring.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 17, 2009, 05:08:51 am »
Lex, what is the minimum size chest freezer for storing Slanker's meats that you recommend? I have a very small apartment, so I'm leaning towards about 3+ cubic feet.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Cosmo

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 26, 2009, 11:42:42 pm »

What was also interesting was that one of the doctors commented on the fact that for my age my body had very little fat, and muscle tone was more like someone 20 to 30 years younger. 

Hi, Lex!
Thanks for sharing your great news with us, it's very inspiring to read about your amazing results. I'm about to start my own little experiment with zero-carb approach. I hope it will be a success, fingers crossed,
Best wishes.
Cosmo
Eating raw fish and meat since 17.11.08. 99% raw since 25.04.08.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 27, 2009, 11:21:28 am »
Hi, Lex!
Thanks for sharing your great news with us, it's very inspiring to read about your amazing results. I'm about to start my own little experiment with zero-carb approach. I hope it will be a success, fingers crossed,
Best wishes.
Cosmo

My only suggestion is to keep your fat intake at a moderate level.  I find 80% to high and recommed you start with 65% to 70% and go from there.  Other than that I wish you all the best on your adventure.

Lex

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 27, 2009, 09:55:46 pm »
Everything in my own personal experience has confirmed what Lex has said. Even though my diet isn't as strict as his (I eat more carbs and cooked foods than he--closer to Tyler's diet), as I've moved toward more raw and lightly cooked meat/fat/organs and less carbs I've already seen the last tiny remnants of acne clear up (although I still need to take some zinc at this point to achieve that--I acquired zinc deficiency from years of eating wheat and other modern foods), as well as most of the dead/dry skin, my teeth are firming and much whiter and my gums are healthier--with less bleeding. My skin is now amazingly smooth and soft.

Eating any significant amount of high-carb foods (such as dried fruits or sugary fruit juices) rapidly brings the dead/dry skin and crud on my teeth back. Whereas meats, fats and fish sometimes produce mildly euphoric highs of well being (not crazy-zany highs, as no doubt vegetarian detractors would allege). However, I do continue to eat berries, bananas and greens, mainly for the potassium (as I acquired potassium deficiency from a prescription med I used to take).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 10:24:42 pm by PaleoPhil »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #432 on: July 07, 2009, 04:47:08 pm »
Hi Lex,

I'm all psyched up to experiment with your style of eating.  Just beef.  I have a good fresh source.  I'll try the fresh never frozen beef first up to 2-3 days in the refrigerator then buy a new batch.  Will also get liver and bone marrow.

My only hangover is the structured water thing.  So what I will do is get reverse osmosis water + some freshly squeezed kalamansi in the water just to give it structure.  Think about it like squeezing half a lemon in a tall glass of water just to give it structure.

So it's basically structured water + beef for me, will do it for 1 week.  Hopefully the best beef I can get is almost as good as the beef you get.  I'm sure its different since our Philippine beef grows on a tropical climate.

So this is an *almost* pure beef approach.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 05:00:26 pm by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 08, 2009, 12:16:36 am »
GS,
It will be interesting to see how you fare.  I expect you will have some minor issues due to reducing carbs so quickly, but if you stick it out I think you'll be pleased with the results.

We are often lead to believe that our bodies adapt fully within just 6 to 8 weeks.  I have not found this to be true.  Some things are apparent within a short period, but the changes our body must make to fully adapt to a predominently meat and fat diet takes 12 to 18 months.

As I remember you suffer from some skin issues.  I used to have minor rash breakouts on my upper chest area and also would get scabby patches in the 'bald spot' area of my head.  These skin problems did not go away right away.  It took almost 3 years before I suddenly realized that these problems were now a thing of the past.  What caused them and why they took to long to respond, I have no idea.  Just be aware that you probably won't see much change in one or two weeks.

I have no idea what 'structured' water is.  I have found plain tap water quite satisfactory.

Lex

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 08, 2009, 05:32:22 am »
Hi Lex,

I'm all psyched up to experiment with your style of eating.  Just beef.
You know he eats organs and fat too, right?

I'm getting closer to Lex's WOE too. I still have a stockpile of nuts that I got on discount to finish off, though, and I haven't gotten a freezer yet.

My only hangover is the structured water thing.  So what I will do is get reverse osmosis water + some freshly squeezed kalamansi in the water just to give it structure.  Think about it like squeezing half a lemon in a tall glass of water just to give it structure.
You know that there's no minerals in water that's treated via reverse osmosis, yes?

I've been drinking tap water, but the faucet and pipes are old, so the water has a metallic taste. I'm thinking of getting a carbon filter myself to encourage me to drink more water and avoid the temptation of juice and other beverages.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 09:45:27 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: July 08, 2009, 07:53:01 am »
Lex, you're so open with own experiences and so thorough, detailed, and patient in answering questions that I'm learning tons from you... thanks for that!

GS, I'm looking forward to your 'all beef' experience!  keep us posted!

William

« Reply #436 on: July 13, 2009, 10:41:55 pm »

You know that there's no minerals in water that's treated via reverse osmosis, yes?

I've been drinking tap water, but the faucet and pipes are old, so the water has a metallic taste. I'm thinking of getting a carbon filter myself to encourage me to drink more water and avoid the temptation of juice and other beverages.

I tried special waters for years, including a machine that sparates acid from alkaline; did no apparent good.

Presently I'm using a ceramic/carbon filter from Professor Jim McCanney MS with water from the lake before my house, so it tastes good and I don't desire juice. For those on municipal water supplies, there is an addition that filters out the fluorides that make people apathetic.
http://www.jmccanneyscience.com/
http://www.jmccanneyscience.com/DoultonWaterFilterInformationSub-Page.HTM
http://www.jmccanneyscience.com/SecWebOrderPg.htm
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:53:47 pm by William »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 14, 2009, 06:09:59 am »
Thanks William

Offline cjb

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 14, 2009, 07:36:59 pm »
Hi Lex,

I can't figure out how to PM you and my computer annoyingly does not work with entourage.  There's some sort of problem that won't allow me to send it.  It just says sending and never does.  Can you check my latest post about candida?  Thank you very much!
cbj

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 15, 2009, 11:18:00 am »
I have some pH urinalysis test paper left over from my days working in a health store, so I measured the acidity of my urine, out of curiosity, now that I am eating mostly meats and fats. Whereas on standard Paleo it was a bit alkaline, on meats & fats it is very acidic--just one step less acidic than the most acidic measure. Yet my teeth are firming, which requires plenty of absorbable calcium to be present in the body fluids and a good calcium balance, and is suggestive of increasing bone density.

Lex, you mentioned that you were skeptical of the alkaline/acidifying balance theory of nutrition and bone density. Do you have anything more to add to the below excerpts to explain why I seem to have increased bone density with acidic urine and why acidic urine is not a problem?

Thanks to xylothrill for posting these links about a year ago:

http://www.powerofmeat.com/High_Protein_Diets.htm

The claim that animal protein intake causes calcium loss from the bones is another popular nutritional myth that has no backing in nutritional science. The studies that supposedly showed protein to cause calcium loss in the urine were NOT done with real, whole foods, but with isolated amino acids and fractionated protein powders (3).

When studies were done with people eating meat with its fat, NO calcium loss was detected in the urine, even over a long period of time (3). Other studies have confirmed that meat eating does not affect calcium balance (4) and that protein promotes stronger bones (5). Furthermore, the saturated fats that many experts believe are so evil are actually required for proper calcium deposition in the bones (6).

Many experts attempt to explain how meat supposedly "acidifies" the blood, leading to greater mineral loss in the urine is also incorrect. Theoretically, the sulfur and phosphorus in meat can form an acid when placed in water, but that does not mean that is what happens in the body.

Actually, meat provides complete proteins and vitamin D (if the fat or skin is eaten), both of which are needed to maintain proper acid-alkaline balance in the body. Furthermore, in a diet that includes enough magnesium and vitamin B6 and restricts simple sugars, one has little to fear from kidney stones (12).

Animal foods like beef, poultry, and lamb are good sources of both nutrients as any food and nutrient content table will show. It also goes without saying that high protein/fat and low-carbohydrate diets are devoid of sugar.

Protein powders are the culprit proteins

What is significant in the various studies of protein intake and bone density is that the studies which purported to show protein intake caused calcium loss were not conducted with real foods but with isolated amino acids and fractionated protein powders of the sort used by low-carb dieters and athletes. The reason why these amino acids and fat-free protein powders caused calcium loss while the fat meat diet did not is because protein, calcium, and minerals require the fat-soluble vitamins A and D for their assimilation and utilisation by the body. When protein is consumed without these factors it upsets the normal biochemistry of the body and mineral loss results.[xviii] True vitamin A and full-complex vitamin D are only found in animal fats. Furthermore, saturated fats that are present with meat are essential for proper calcium deposition in the bones.[xix] It should be no surprise, therefore that vegan diets have been shown to place women at the greatest risk for osteoporosis.[xx] [xxi]

Lex Rooker wrote at http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/journals/lex%27s-journal/msg2126/#msg2126:

"based on x-rays my bone density has increased over the last 5 years and more than 3 of those years have been meat and fat only.  Milk is supposed to be loaded with calcium, however, most of the people that I know with bone density issues are heavy consumers of dairy products - at their doctor’s insistence - yet their bones continue to deteriorate.  Greens measure rich in calcium when tested with reagents in the laboratory, the question becomes, is this calcium available to the body - or are there anti-nutrients that block its absorption.  What role does blood glucose and insulin play in the proper absorption of nutrients?  By the way, my bone integrity was confirmed by an orthopedist.  I broke my finger a little over a year ago (compound fracture).  It healed in record time and after 8 weeks when he normally puts people with my injury in therapy, he was amazed to find that I already had 90% movement back and the break was completely healed."

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 15, 2009, 11:16:23 pm »
Phil,
I find it interesting that advertisers of supplements have convinced us that urine PH mirrors blood and/or tissue PH.  Of course this isn't true at all.  Our bodies must maintain a very narrow PH range around 7.4 or serious problems result.  No matter what you eat or how acidic or alkaline your urine is, your blood will maintain a PH of 7.4 +- .05.  I have no idea what causes the urine or saliva to vary its PH, but it clearly doesn't have anything to do with the PH of the blood or tissues.

There is all kinds of speculation as to how the body maintains this very narrow range.  The conventional wisdom is that when PH falls (goes acidic) then calcium is pulled from the bones to offset the acidity.  It is also said that this is shown by an acidic urine or saliva.  I think this is all nonsense.  It sounds good but doesn't make sense if thought through. If calcium were truly being pulled from the bones to neutralize the acid, then how could the urine or saliva possibly be acidic - it was neutralized.

My urine consistently runs very acidic with a PH of 5.0 to 5.5 and my bone density does not seem to have deteriorated over the last 4 years and as I noted in my previous post on the subject, my dental health has improved significantly.

I have an annual physical coming up and I'll ask my doctor for a bone density test this year.  I have an HMO so it may require approval, but if they allow it, I'll post the results.

Lex

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 16, 2009, 07:49:32 am »
Phil,
...The conventional wisdom is that when PH falls (goes acidic) then calcium is pulled from the bones to offset the acidity.  It is also said that this is shown by an acidic urine or saliva.  I think this is all nonsense.  It sounds good but doesn't make sense if thought through. If calcium were truly being pulled from the bones to neutralize the acid, then how could the urine or saliva possibly be acidic - it was neutralized.
Excellent point. Why didn't I think of that? You are obviously have a better baloney detector than I. My thinking had been that just enough bone was being leached to keep the urine at around 6.5 or so. But now that I see that human carnivore urine runs at 5.0-5.5, that excuse seems very far fetched indeed. If bone truly were being leached away you would have disappeared by now. :D

My urine consistently runs very acidic with a PH of 5.0 to 5.5 and my bone density does not seem to have deteriorated over the last 4 years and as I noted in my previous post on the subject, my dental health has improved significantly.
My urine has been in precisely the same range the past couple of days, so my guess is that's the norm for human carnivores.

I have an annual physical coming up and I'll ask my doctor for a bone density test this year.  I have an HMO so it may require approval, but if they allow it, I'll post the results.
Well, I guess you can justify it to yourself from a medical perspective to check, just to be safe, since you are a pioneer, as well as to validate that your current health therapy (nutrition) is fairly optimal.

If you ever get a urinalysis done, maybe your doc would order a bone scan on that basis alone, if he accepts the acid/alkaline theory--but it's pretty controversial even in conventional circles, so I don't know if he would. My guess is he would just lecture you about eating more greens.

Given our knowledge via Paleo nutrition that even the so-called "normal" vital stats used by the labs are suboptimal, it's ironic that the healthcare reformers argue that doctors perform too many tests. That's probably true for expensive tests designed to see if someone should get surgery (like CT scans and x-rays), but there are many relatively inexpensive prevention-oriented tests that doctors should be ordering at every patient visit until health is optimized (for example: nonfasting blood glucose, HDL and triglycerides, nutrient levels). Of course, if they already embraced Paleo nutrition, the docs would only need to run the tests every once in a while to try to motivate their patients into starting or maintaining a Paleo nutrition program.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 16, 2009, 02:42:15 pm »
Phil,
I get a full Metabolic Panel, CBC, TSH, PSA, Lipids, A1c, and urinalysis every year.  You can see the results in the first entry in my journal.  As far as blood tests and other similar stuff, my doctor is glad to do whatever I ask.  It only gets sticky if it is something out of the norm where there is no evidence of a problem, and then the HMO may question it.

I try to post the results of all my lab work every year as well as any issues I'm facing and my overall progress (or decline :().  This lets people see the long term effects of my way of eating - good or bad - and they can hopefully make better decisions for their own life.

Lex

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 16, 2009, 03:10:10 pm »
I'll be checking in to see how you go and I'm especially interested to see where your at with bone density. Maybe we could chip in if your declined. There's more than a few interested people.

I try to post the results of all my lab work every year as well as any issues I'm facing and my overall progress (or decline :().  This lets people see the long term effects of my way of eating - good or bad - and they can hopefully make better decisions for their own life.

Lex

I suspect your on the right track.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 16, 2009, 10:08:38 pm »
Phil,
I get a full Metabolic Panel, CBC, TSH, PSA, Lipids, A1c, and urinalysis every year. ....
Lex
Oh yeah, I forgot about that sorry. And thanks for sharing your results, findings and analyses. You're providing a very valuable service to us.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 17, 2009, 07:46:24 am »
It is July and time for my annual physical which I had 2 days ago.  I got the results of the blood test today and they are attached below as a PDF file.
My doctor just shook his head when he saw them.  All the dire problems he predicted just have not materialized.  Most everything is pretty much the same but some items beg comment.

Blood Lipids (Cholesterol and Triglycerides)

Initially (about 5 years ago) my total cholesterol was up around 250.  Unfortunately the labs from this time period are not available.  I then started ZC in ernest in Decenber of 2005 but didn't get my next physical and blood test until July of 2007.  My 2007 labs are posted in the first entry of this journal and you will see that after about 18 months total cholesterol had dropped a bit to 237.  My July 2008 blood work, also posted in the first entry of this journal, shows that after 30 months total cholesterol had dropped to 189.  This year after 42 months total cholesterol dropped again and is now 175.  So I've had a 75 point drop over about 4 year period eating nothing but meat and fat.

Triglycerides were initially up around 500 but had dropped into the upper 40s by the 2007 test and were 52 in the 2008 and 50 in the current 2009 test so this seems to have stabilized.

Blood Glucose

Initially fasting BG was in the 135-140 range.  By 2007 BG had dropped to 111 and for both the 2008 and current 2009 test is 97 and 99 respectively.  It appears that BG has also pretty much stabilized, though at a higher level than expected.  One would think that BG would fall dramatically into the lower ranges of the 70s and 80s since I’m not eating any carbs but it seems that this is not the case.  My assumption is that my body has converted as many systems as possible to using fatty acids as their primary fuel.  The body seems to convert a certain portion of all protein eaten and probably any excess glycerol in the fat consumed into BG and since there are few tissues that require it, it BG tends to rise.  My guess is that at some trigger point a small amount of insulin is released causing the excess BG to be stored as body fat which is then burned as fatty acids between meals.  Is this idea correct?  Who knows – it’s just a guess. 

A1c
This is supposed to be a test that shows a general average of BG levels over a 2 to 3 month period.  This is the first year I’ve been given an A1c test.  The level came out 6.0% which is surprising since this supposedly relates to an average BG level of 135 mg/dl or so.  I keep a careful watch on my BG and over the past year I don’t think it has ever risen above 105 and it seldom drops below 90.  My guess is that A1c is not a very good predictor when BG is extremely stable.  Anyway, I’ll continue to ask for this test in the future just to see where it goes.  I do wish I had asked for this test in previous years as it would have been interesting to see if the levels had changed much.

PSA
Due to my BPH issue I keep a sharp watch on PSA.  In 2004 it was 4.1 and my doctor wanted to follow up with a biopsy which I declined.  Just too many horror stories of men that were doing just fine until they got their prostates punctured a dozen times for a biopsy and then it was a rapid down hill ride to a prostectomy.  Needless to say I want to avoid this at all cost.  In my 2007 blood test which was the next test where PSA was run after 2004, my PSA was 0.6.  In 2008 it went to 1.5 and this year it is 1.6.  I expect the 0.6 was an anomaly since I started at 4.1 but I’m very pleased with my current levels as these too seem to have stabilized.  The symptoms of early stage BPH still persist but they have not worsened by any measurable amount since I started ZC and seem to have actually improved a bit, but nothing dramatic. 

One thing seems clear.  It takes time for many of the changes the body makes when there is a major change in dietary protocol.  As you can see, cholesterol is still dropping after 4 years.  Most of the others took about 2 years before they reached a stable level.  The idea that we are fully adapted and the body has made all the adjustments it is going too after 8 weeks of ZC just doesn’t hold up based on actual lab results.

I’m extremely pleased with where this adventure has taken me and will continue forging ahead for the foreseeable future as the lifestyle and way of eating have certainly proved beneficial.

BTW - I did ask for a comprehensive bone density test which was submitted to my HMO for approval.  If that materializes I will post the results.  Keep your fingers crossed.

Glad to answer any questions,

Lex
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 09:44:54 am by lex_rooker »

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 17, 2009, 08:20:11 am »
that all sounds very positive to me lex, another point for raw 'grass fed' animal fat i think.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 17, 2009, 08:49:55 am »
Congrats Lex! I would also contribute toward the cost of your bone density test. If it's a DEXA scan you want, I read that those range around $200 - $300 for cash customers. We might be able to cut that down to size here if we raised some funds.

carnivore

« Reply #448 on: July 17, 2009, 06:13:45 pm »
Lex,

That's encouraging!

Have you already tried to reduce your protein intake (keeping fat intake constant) to see if your BG and A1c lower ?

After several years on a zero carb diet, your body may needs less carbs ?

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 18, 2009, 08:00:38 am »
Have you already tried to reduce your protein intake (keeping fat intake constant) to see if your BG and A1c lower ?

Hmmmm, you can't lower protein and keep fat constant without significantly altering calorie intake.  Based on my experiments, (and at this point in time) total calories seem to have a greater affect on my BG than the fat/protein ratio.

After several years on a zero carb diet, your body may needs less carbs ?

I think you meant to say less glucose? Anyway, I'm sure this is true and is probably what is causing BG to seem elevated.  Glucose can come from protein OR fat and from either diet or breakdown of body tissues (as when fasting).

Protein seems to be turned into BG as some relatively consistent rate - maybe 58%?  Fat is eaten and stored in the triglyceride form which contains a molecule of glycerol.  When the fat is broken down (either by digestion or breaking down body fat), and, if the fatty acids are used as the primary fuel for the body, then the glycerol will remain free as there won't be surplus fatty acids to create a new triglyceride.  The surplus glycerol will also be converted to glucose.  It takes 2 glycerol molecules to make on molecule of glucose so this means that about 10% -12% of the fat will potentially be converted to glucose as well.

Since my body needs little BG, the glucose just collects in the blood until it reaches some trigger level where insulin will be released to cause the excess BG to be converted to fatty acids and either burned as fuel or stored as body fat.  Speculation, but from what I think I know about this stuff, this idea seems reasonable.

Lex

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk