Author Topic: Lex's Journal  (Read 825455 times)

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Lex's Journal
« Reply #525 on: August 14, 2009, 08:56:23 am »
If you go by wiki "Vitamin C or L-ascorbic acid is an essential nutrient for humans, a large number of higher primate species, a small number of other mammalian species (notably guinea pigs and bats), a few species of birds, and some fish."  I bet a could back this up from other sources if I look.  This is good enough for me.  As it stands, humans are in a small group of animals that do not produce vitamin c.

I guess I just don't get the point of this.  There are many things our bodies don't produce.  There are many amino acids, many vitamins, all of the minerals, oxygen and even water.  We must consume these on a regular basis or our health suffers.  This is true for every life form, though each may have different requirements.  So what?  As long as the requirement is met, the organism will flourish.

You seem to be of the belief that because we don't manufacture vitamin C then we must take a supplement or we will be deficient.  Why?  No other animal takes supplements in its natural environment to meet its nutritional requirements, and neither did humans for millions of years and yet we prospered.  The whole argument is silly. 

Lex

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 14, 2009, 09:12:14 am »
If you've paid attention to my normal model, I do what makes me feel best rather than trying to control some arbitrary lab number.  My best guess is that I'm eating around 70% calories as fat as that is where I seem to do best.
Right, I meant if you felt equally good at a slightly higher fat level, but if you feel better at 70%, then I would stay there too, because--as you've explained--how you've felt has turned out to be a better long-term health indicator than conventional assumptions about what good lab numbers are. I do feel kind of silly for asking it, because I should have guessed that you've already figured out at what level you feel best at and should have remembered how pointless aiming for lab numbers can be--it's a hard habit to break. As a retired engineer I'll bet it was hard for you to give up on the conventional lab numbers too.

BG is still hanging right around 100 mg/dl and seldom moves more than a few points up or down from this number.
Fascinating. I had no idea that zero carb BG averages were that high. I'll have to get out my meter at some point and test my own. My doctor may have a fit!  :P

So the usual fasting BG #'s for non-diabetics recommended by Bernstein and others down in the 80s may be too LOW, due to excessive production of insulin at some point during the day, and the body's barometer of what's "normal" getting out of whack? I would assume he would counter that insulin doesn't get produced at those low levels, so one should keep them down there as much as possible. This is still fuzzy to me. Can you explain in simple terms why he would be wrong on that? Could his analysis be skewed by dealing solely with people who eat at least some carbs? Is he allowing for higher-than-healthy post-prandial and random BG levels to get the fasting BG down to the 80s? Do you know the average post-prandial BG levels for zero carbers vs. carb eaters?

You see, I believe humans are first and foremost top level carnivores and only eat plant material as a survival tactic.
I never thought I'd say this, but I am increasingly coming to agree with you on this. Heck, right on this forum I repeated the old assumption that humans are omnivores. I'm not 100% sure, but it's my best educated guess at this point that humans were originally indeed top level carnivores who only ate plants when they had to. Every one of your claims that I've checked out has turned out to be supported by evidence--much of it that I had never heard of before. And my own experience certainly matches it.

...and it explains why the studies have not found any benefit from consuming antioxidant supplements--something that used to confound me. I also couldn't understand why very few of my customers benefited from any supplements other than minerals--which was my experience as well. This would explain so many mysteries that have confounded humans for thousands of years! Brilliant stuff!

This bodes poorly for the human race. Even conventional Paleo diets like Dr. Cordain's could not come close to feeding the world. What appears to be our natural carnivorous diet would feed far fewer.

As a corollary to your carnivore hypothesis Lex, I now suspect that the prime task of human females was to hunt small game and assist with low-risk tasks in harvesting large game, like "herding"/funneling animals to the hunters and butchering, rather than gathering plants.

What do you think of the hypothesis of homonids, beginning to transform into super-hunters (meaning well beyond chimp abilities) around Austrolopithecus, coming to the fore with homo erectus, and becoming highly advanced with archaic homo sapiens, increasingly becoming super-predators and super-exterminators of megafauna, who had not adapted to intelligent, cooperating, tool-using primates hunting them as their primary food, and thus lacked fear of them and were easy prey, leading to the extinction of the majority of the megafauna? Instead of "Man the Hunter," it seems to be "Man the Carnivorous Super-predator." Have you expounded on this somewhere already?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 09:57:27 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 14, 2009, 09:35:18 am »
OK, now that I have been sufficiently spanked by Lex's superior knowledge ;) , I'll add some tasty knowledge tidbits to his brilliant reply to Halotek's suggestion of taking vitamin c supplements because humans are claimed by some to be an "anomaly" in not producing them. These infobits are not really necessary after his excellent point, but I find them interesting. Maybe others will too.

If you go by wiki "Vitamin C or L-ascorbic acid is an essential nutrient for humans, a large number of higher primate species, a small number of other mammalian species (notably guinea pigs and bats), a few species of birds, and some fish."  I bet a could back this up from other sources if I look.  This is good enough for me.  As it stands, humans are in a small group of animals that do not produce vitamin c.

You're getting closer. The view that just a handful or a very small number of species don't produce their own vitamin c has expanded as actual research has been done on the matter. According to Elwood S. McCluskey, PhD, "what has the study of many more taxa done? 1) It has greatly enriched our picture: rather than the long-held view that vitamin C is required in the diet of guinea pig, monkeys and man, we now see that it is required also by bats, at least some fish, and many birds [at least 16 species--which I believe is more than "a few"]; and on the other hand, not by all primates. Further, animals which make their own do so in different organs: the kidney, especially reptiles and birds; or the liver, especially mammals and perching birds." And to those species you can add insects and invertebrates, according to veterinary student D.S. Gillespie (see http://www.jstor.org/pss/20094480; see also http://www.labmeeting.com/paper/14113840/gupta-1972-incapability-of-l-ascorbic-acid-synthesis-by-insects). Since insect species vastly outnumber mammalian species, perhaps ascorbic acid synthesis is the anomaly?

OK, so your and my research has revealed that quite a diversity of species don't produce their own vitamin c, including "a large number of higher primate species" as well as other vertebrates and all insects and invertebrates. Now let's focus in on one of the more interesting of them. Tarsiers are reportedly one of the types of primates that don't produce their own vitamin c. They were once grouped with the strepsirrhines, but after DNA testing were recently reclassified with the Haplorrhines--the suborder that includes humans. Are you aware of the type of diet that tarsiers eat?

By no means am I looking for Lex to increase his carb intake.  At this point in time-- I'm only interested in seeing if at some point- if he'd consider adding some vitamin c in supplemental form to see if it changes his lab values or well-being.
OK, and if it does, what then? In other words, what's the purpose of your experiment on Lex?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 10:08:11 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 14, 2009, 11:36:26 am »
So the usual fasting BG #'s for non-diabetics recommended by Bernstein and others down in the 80s may be too LOW, due to excessive production of insulin at some point during the day, and the body's barometer of what's "normal" getting out of whack? I would assume he would counter that insulin doesn't get produced at those low levels, so one should keep them down there as much as possible. This is still fuzzy to me. Can you explain in simple terms why he would be wrong on that? Could his analysis be skewed by dealing solely with people who eat at least some carbs? Is he allowing for higher-than-healthy post-prandial and random BG levels to get the fasting BG down to the 80s? Do you know the average post-prandial BG levels for zero carbers vs. carb eaters?

Here’s what I believe is going on and why “healthy” carb eaters would have a lower “fasting” BG.  This is the world according to Lex and may be pure baloney so reader beware.

Remember that there is a ‘satisfactory’ range for most things.  For blood PH the range is very tight – a range of about 7.35 to 7.45 – and the body will do whatever is necessary to keep PH in this range.  For BG it is a much broader range – somewhere between 65 mg/dl to 110 mg/dl.  As long as the BG levels are in the proper range the body will not do anything to raise or lower them other than the ongoing natural consumption of BG by the various BG dependent tissues.

Another variable is the digestion time of the food we eat.  Simple and refined carbs digest in minutes and cause rapid spikes in BG, where fat and protein take hours to digest and are converted to BG at a much slower but sustained rate.

If BG falls too low then the body will initiate hunger and/or start sacrificing fat and muscle to bring the level back up.  It will not create more than necessary as this would destroy tissue unnecessarily.  An example might be when fasting.  Only the amount of tissue necessary to sustain the body is sacrificed.  This process of mobilizing tissue is a slow process so little insulin would be produced and BG would hover in the lower ranges with the body just adding to it as necessary to sustain BG just above the lower limit.

When we eat slowly metabolized foods like meat and fat, BG rises slowly as some amino acids as well as some of the glycerol from the fat are converted to BG by the liver.  This is a very slow process and even though the food is gone from the stomach in a couple of hours, the slow conversion can sustain a slow manufacturing of glucose by the liver for many hours after a meal.  As BG rises, it will reach the upper limit and then small amounts of insulin will be released to keep it just below that level.  I find that 10 to 15 hours after eating my BG will then slowly fall until it reaches its low for the day, usually just before I eat my next meal.

In conjunction with the meat/fat scenario above, most of the tissues are using fatty acids rather than glucose.  Now the body is calling on fat reserves between meals to provide fatty acids for muscles and other tissues that on a high carb diet would call for glucose.  In the fat adapted person, the glucose isn’t needed and becomes somewhat of a waste product.  The fat is mobilized from the fat cells as a triglyceride.  When the triglyceride hits the liver, it is broken apart into 3 fatty acids and 1 glycerol molecule.  The fatty acids are released into the bloodstream where they are consumed by fat adapted tissue.  The glycerol, having no extra free fatty acids available to make up a new triglyceride, is converted to glucose (two glycerol molecules can be turned into one glucose molecule in the liver).  This is new glucose that is released into the bloodstream and as there are few tissues in a fat adapted person to use this glucose, as BG rises to the upper limit, insulin is released to cause the conversion of glucose back into fatty acids.  Again this will keep BG just below the upper level.

Finally we come to the high carb eater. Since most of the carbs we eat are refined and simple sugars, our bodies are not geared to the speed at which they are metabolized and released into the blood stream so the body overreacts by dumping more insulin than necessary because it thinks the rapid spike will last a long time.  After all, all the other glucose producing mechanisms in the body do so over long periods and the body doesn’t know that the rapid rise will be short so it dumps insulin as though the spike will be sustained (relatively speaking).  This over reaction causes BG to plummet to the low end of the scale and since carbs are metabolized quickly, there is nothing to raise it back up so it stays low.  This is aided by the fact that muscle and other tissues are not fully fat adapted so will use glucose as their primary fuel if available so any glycerol or protein that is converted to glucose over the long term is rapidly consumed again keeping BG at the lower levels.  If it gets too low then we are driven by discomfort, headaches, hunger etc to consume carbs to bring the level back up and if food is not forthcoming, the body will sacrifice fat and muscle tissue to create glucose.

In this case, fat is mobilized again in the form of triglycerides, and when they get to the liver they are torn apart into 3 fatty acids and a glycerol molecule.  Now comes the difference.  In the case of the carb eater, his body is demanding glucose, not fatty acids for fuel, so the liver will convert the glycerol into glucose and throw the fatty acids away in the form of ketones which are eliminated through urine, sweat, and breath.  Since it takes 2 glycerols to make one glucose, two triglycerides are consumed and 6 fatty acids are thrown away for each molecule of glucose produced.  This is why non fat adapted people loose weight rapidly.  Their fat is being consumed to get at the glycerol to create glucose and 3/4s of the energy from the triglycerides (6 fatty acids) is being discarded.  Only the minimum amount of tissue will be consumed as the body thinks it is starving so BG is again held to the lower end of the range.  In effect, the high carb eater will have huge spikes of BG but they are short in duration (as long as the pancreas can produce enough insulin) so the body’s reaction will force BG to the low end for most of the day. 

If this keeps up the body will slowly start converting tissues to efficiently use fatty acids and weight loss will slow.  If we are fasting (not eating food) but have been eating a high carb diet then BG will remain in the lower range.  If we are changing the type of food we eat then as the body becomes more efficient at using fatty acids rather than glucose as fuel, weight loss slows and then turns around and we start gaining weight again and BG will remain in the higher ranges because it is not needed by most body tissues. 

Hope this made sense.  If not ask questions and I’ll do my best to make it more clear.

This bodes poorly for the human race. Even conventional Paleo diets like Dr. Cordain's could not come close to feeding the world. What appears to be our natural carnivorous diet would feed far fewer.

I believe this is correct.  Our planet could not sustain anything like it’s current population if we were eating our natural diet.  I’m sure that this is what has driven our species to eat carbs in the first place.  We had depleted our normal food supply and we had to find a new one or we would go through the natural cycles of population based on the available food supply like all other animals in nature do.

What do you think of the hypothesis of homonids, beginning to transform into super-hunters (meaning well beyond chimp abilities) around Austrolopithecus, coming to the fore with homo erectus, and becoming highly advanced with archaic homo sapiens, increasingly becoming super-predators and super-exterminators of megafauna, who had not adapted to intelligent, cooperating, tool-using primates hunting them as their primary food, and thus lacked fear of them and were easy prey, leading to the extinction of the majority of the megafauna? Instead of "Man the Hunter," it seems to be "Man the Carnivorous Super-predator." Have you expounded on this somewhere already?

I really have no interest in this area so your guess is as good as mine – and probably better.

Lex
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 11:48:53 am by lex_rooker »

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 14, 2009, 03:54:45 pm »
I don't think it's necessarily a problem. If you imagine the current state of the world, then everyone suddenly demanding meat, then obviously there's not enough. However, this assumes that the scenario will develop linearly.

The poor third worlders aren't gonna be experimenting with diet anytime soon, unfortunately they have to eat what they can get. By the time they get to the point we're at then who knows what technological changes will have happened in the west.

Also, if there was a massive demand for healthy meat, then science would probably come up with something to fill the gap.

That's how I justify myself to vegetarians on the offensive anyway.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 14, 2009, 07:26:28 pm »
The poor third worlders aren't gonna be experimenting with diet anytime soon, unfortunately they have to eat what they can get. ...
That's basically what I meant--most people will not have the option to become carnivorous, even if they want to, and even if only 5 or 10% of the world switches to carnivore over the next 20 years, it would dramatically drive up the prices of the meats they choose to eat. The prices of choice meats like wild salmon have been escalating dramatically over the years as it is.

Also, if there was a massive demand for healthy meat, then science would probably come up with something to fill the gap.
Like what, cloned cattle?

That's how I justify myself to vegetarians on the offensive anyway.
This is why I appreciate the vegetarians and am not interested in converting them. They help ensure that meat will remain affordable for me. They are sacrificing their health for us. In the longer run, though, that is only a good thing if they also procreate less and reduce their numbers over time, so that the world can gradually turn back the clock--moving to organic small-farming, then pastoralism and horticulture, then permaculture, then hunting and gathering.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 08:53:49 pm by PaleoPhil »

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 15, 2009, 01:36:47 am »
One point that I may not have been clear in my dissertation on the variations of BG levels in my previous post is the fact that BG often climbs in zero carb eaters even when they haven’t eaten anything for many hours. The observtions that I site are accurate, but the rest is my reasoning and seems to be supported by my own experience and the experience of others.  It's up to you to decide for yourself if it rings true for you.

I often awake in the morning and immediately measure my BG which is usually in the mid 80s. Since I eat in the mid to late afternoon, it has been 15 hours or more since my last meal.  I’ll then take my shower and start my day’s activities.  An hour or so after becoming active I find my BG has risen well into the 90s and often near 100.  Since I haven’t eaten anything, what causes the rise in BG?

I believe that my body is now well adapted to using fatty acids as its primary fuel for most tissues.  While sleeping there was little activity and the body went into repair and recover mode.  My meal had been digested and anything that was going to be converted to BG had done so long ago.  Most tissues were consuming free fatty acids so these were probably fairly low, and the few tissues that were consuming BG had lowered BG from the upper level of the BG range around 100 to around 86.

Now I start activity.  Muscles and other tissues are suddenly calling for fuel, which in this case is fatty acids.  The best source for fatty acids is in stored body fat.  Triglycerides are mobilized from the fat cells and sent to the liver where they are broken down into 3 fatty acids and 1 glycerol molecule.  The fatty acids are released into the bloodstream to provide fuel which leaves free glycerol hanging around.  Since there are no spare fatty acids for the glycerol to combine with to make new triglycerides, the liver converts the excess glycerol into glucose and releases it into the bloodstream.  Since most of my tissues are now using fatty acids as their primary fuel, there are few tissues calling for glucose so BG slowly starts to rise.  It will continue to rise until it reaches the upper limit at which point insulin will be released to keep it just below the upper limit of its normal range. 

So, when body fat (or dietary fat for that matter) is metabolized to free up the fatty acids as the primary fuel source, excess glycerol remains and the only way the body can get rid of it is to either create new triglycerides to store as body fat or convert it to glucose which the body doesn’t need – causing BG to rise.

Contrast this with someone conditioned to eating carbs.  During their sleep glucose was consumed and fatty acids were stored causing both low fatty acids level as well as low BG levels in the early morning.  Once they start activity, their tissues start calling for fuel, but in this case the preferred fuel is glucose, not fatty acids.  Two things can happen.  Fat can be mobilized, sent to the liver and broken down into fatty acids and glycerol but in this case only the glycerol is used to create glucose and the fatty acids are discarded.  In this case the increased activity will consume the glucose for fuel so fasting BG levels will remain relatively low (in the 70s to 80s).  Fatty acids will rise and when they reach their upper range, the liver will convert excess fatty acids to ketones which will be eliminated via urine, sweat, and breath.

The second option the body has if the activity level consumes more glucose than can be created through fat metabolism (which is a very inefficient way to create glucose), the body will start to sacrifice lean muscle mass.  Protein can be converted by the liver into glucose at a much faster rate and is more efficient (58% for protein vs 12% for fat).  Again, the body will only sacrifice the minimum tissue necessary to meet the body’s need for fuel so BG will remain in the lower range.

Hope this helps explain why a person that is fat adapted and eats ZC will have a consistently higher fasting BG level than someone who’s healthy and their body is using glucose as it’s primary fuel.

Lex
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 08:50:47 am by lex_rooker »

Offline Tom G.

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 15, 2009, 01:58:16 am »
  Lex. Didn't the "Bear" also say that his blood glucose level was consistently around 100, and that this was normal for him? He was catching a lot of flack from people saying it should be far lower.

One of the problems I do see in the medical field regarding test results, is that they are based on the assumption that carbs are a large part of our diets. Looking up the nutritional contents of meat, it shows to be seriously lacking, or at virtually zero levels in about a half dozen important vitamins, nutrients, and minerals.

Stefansson wrote from experience that a diet of fresh meat always solved the problem of scurvy, yet it has little or no vitamin C. Other explorers still had problems with scurvy, despite consuming limes or other fruits and vegetables. This was due to their diet consisting of mainly high refined carbs and salted cooked meat.

Tom

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #533 on: August 15, 2009, 02:11:59 am »
Just anote:- Raw meat contains plenty of vitamin C(especially raw liver, but even raw muscle-meat). However, vitamin C is easily destroyed by heat. As a result, because virtually everyone eats only cooked meats, everyone mistakenly assumes that ALL meats don't have vitamin C.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 15, 2009, 05:37:39 am »
Tom,
Not sure about the Bear, but I do know several other ZC'ers that have been surprised by the fact that their BG started rising about 18 months to 2 years after going ZC.  In every case BG stabilized right around 100.  Their BG also behaves like mine in that it rises and falls under similar circumstances.  This makes me believe that this is normal for the human animal when dietary carbs are severely restricted.  This is not to say that ZC is the best possible dietary protocol for humans.  The truth is, I have no idea if ZC is really a prudent lifestyle or not, only that it seems to be working well for me at this time.

Tyler,
I'm sure your information is correct, yet there is not one mention of vitamin C in any official publication related to the nutritional qualities of meat.  I know that vitamin C is destroyed by heat and virtually everyone cooks their meat, but vegetables list vitamin C levels and most people eat them cooked as well, so what's the difference?  I've never understood why the vitamin C content of meat has been totally ignored.

Even the conjecture by some researchers that uric acid is playing a significant role in replacing vitamin C in those eating a carnivorous diet leads to the assumption that the researchers themselves believe that there is no significant vitamin C in meat otherwise why would they even contemplate an alter ego for it.  I guess it's just one of life's little mysteries.

Lex
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 08:55:34 am by lex_rooker »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 15, 2009, 08:31:01 am »
...Hope this helps explain why a person that is fat adapted and eats ZC will have a consistently higher fasting BG level than someone who’s healthy and their body is using glucose as it’s primary fuel.

Lex
Thanks, Lex. Glad I found this out from you before measuring my BG and wondering why it had risen or having my doctor freak out on me and not have an answer.

Offline primavera

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 15, 2009, 11:04:39 pm »
Lex, how's it going with the D&C?

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 15, 2009, 11:55:45 pm »
Lex, how's it going with the D&C?

Still adding it to my mix and have had no further problems.  The loose bowel problem seemed to last for a couple of weeks and then just disappeared.  No idea what caused it or why it went away.  Same D&C from the same batch and same order.  Who knows?

Lex

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 16, 2009, 07:21:53 am »
Tyler,
I'm sure your information is correct, yet there is not one mention of vitamin C in any official publication related to the nutritional qualities of meat.  I know that vitamin C is destroyed by heat and virtually everyone cooks their meat, but vegetables list vitamin C levels and most people eat them cooked as well, so what's the difference?  I've never understood why the vitamin C content of meat has been totally ignored.

Even the conjecture by some researchers that uric acid is playing a significant role in replacing vitamin C in those eating a carnivorous diet leads to the assumption that the researchers themselves believe that there is no significant vitamin C in meat otherwise why would they even contemplate an alter ego for it.  I guess it's just one of life's little mysteries.
Scurvy still does seem to be a mystery. Does an all-cooked-meat Stefansson diet cure it because of small amounts of vitamin C in the cooked meat or hydroxyproline and hydroxylysine from collagen in the connective tissues of the meat or uric acid produced by eating meat or low levels of glucose in the diet or some combination?

I found the following:

"I'm not buying into the whole hydroxyproline and hydroxylysine preventing scurvy thing. How come carnivores aren't included in lists of animals that don't synthesize vitamin c? Who eats more raw collagen than a carnivore? How come carnivores make vitamin c?

Here's a study I found that includes vitamin c levels found in various arctic meats.

Vitamin C in the Diet of Inuit Hunters From the northwest territories, http://pubs.aina.ucalgary.ca/arctic/Arctic32-2-135.pdf

...."

--teaser, http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=359020&page=3

"Glucose prevents vitamin C from getting absorbed so I think a low carb diet would help you utilize the C you eat a lot better." --Nancy LC

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 16, 2009, 09:10:35 am »
"I'm not buying into the whole hydroxyproline and hydroxylysine preventing scurvy thing. How come carnivores aren't included in lists of animals that don't synthesize vitamin c? Who eats more raw collagen than a carnivore? How come carnivores make vitamin c?

Carnivores which produce vitamin C can develop scurvy if fed carb/grain filled low fat diets so clearly vitamin C alone will not prevent scurvy entirely. Scurvy is common for dogs, less common for cats.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: August 16, 2009, 01:08:21 pm »
Today it is common for dogs and cats to be diagnosed with diabetes.  I imagine it's the grain based dog and cat chow that are at the root of the problem.  Years ago I thought it was so wonderful that pet food companies made such healthy and complete food for animals and just couldn't understand why there wasn't a 'people chow'.  Over the years I've finally figured out that pet chow isn't so wonderful - it's just cheap to make and can be sold at a huge profit.

Lex

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 16, 2009, 08:07:44 pm »
But it's scientifically formulated!  ;D

One major pet food company briefly got it right years ago and came out with a grain-free brand of dog food years ago; I think it was the Alpo brand. Their slogan was "Not one speck of grain." I remember being puzzled by this. Why should one speck of grain be a problem? Isn't grain healthy for dogs--other dog food companies talk about the healthy grains they put in their dog food. I didn't own a dog, so I didn't look into it further. I was not the only one who was puzzled. Comedians like David Letterman and Saturday Night Live ridiculed the commercial. I still remember what Letterman said, because I found it funny at the time: "One speck of grain? My dog Bob roots through garbage! He doesn't care about one speck of grain." Now that I understand celiac disease, gluten intolerance and diabetes better, I understand what that one speck of grain was about. That's all it takes to trigger symptoms in pets and people who are particularly sensitive.

Unfortunately, Alpo abandoned the brand, which must have been more expensive than their cheap grain-based chows and which was ahead of its time. Today there are multiple grain-free chows (such as the Evo brand) sold by small, premium pet food companies and they seem to be profitable.

Unfortunately, there are also such atrocities as pasta flavor dog food and vegan cat food. One vegan cat food maker has the temerity to call itself "Evolution Diet Pet Food Corporation." Anyone who would feed a cat a vegan diet should be fined for cruel animal abuse and not allowed to keep pets. If many people are so misguided as to feed obligate carnivores vegan diets, it's no surprise that they don't recognize that we ourselves are opportunistic carnivores.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 17, 2009, 11:40:12 pm »
It seems I was pretty close in my speculation that higher fasting blood glucose is normal for those following VLC and ZC dietary protocols.  Peter, of Hyperlipid fame, has 6 posts on the subject.  He doesn’t go into the biochemistry behind this rise, but simply states the reason as “physiological insulin resistance” which is just another way of saying that most body tissues are using fatty acids as their primary fuel when available and rejecting glucose. It appears that this same phenomenon occurs in mice when they eat a high fat low carb diet. 

Another interesting factoid about mice was that when ‘wild’ mice were given the ability to choose the food they ate, they chose 82% calories as fat, 12%-13% calories as protein, and 5%-6% calories as carbohydrate.  For a human eating 2,500 calories per day, this would be the same as eating 650 grams of meat that was 35% fat by weight, and about 30 grams of carbs per day. 

Converting 30 grams of carbs into raw fruit is about 225 grams (1/2 lb) per day of most fruits and berries. Mellons you can eat about 400 grams and concentrated fruits like fresh figs or bananas only about 150 grams.

As a salad of fresh greens and non-sweet fruits like tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli, onions, etc, you can eat roughly 500 grams ( 1 ¼ lbs) to get the equivalent 30 grams of carbs.

Here’s the links to Peter’s 6 posts on physiological insulin resistance.  Recommended reading.

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/search/label/Physiological%20insulin%20resistance%20%281%29
http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/search/label/Physiological%20insulin%20resistance%20%282%29%3B%20Dawn%20Phenomenon
http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/search/label/Physiological%20insulin%20resistance%20%283%29%3B%20Clarification%20of%20FBG
http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/search/label/Physiological%20insulin%20resistance%20%284%29%3B%20Alzheimers
http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/search/label/Physiological%20insulin%20resistance%20%285%29%20The%20wild%20type%20mice
http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/search/label/Physiological%20insulin%20resistance%20%286%29%20The%20Terminator

Lex

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 18, 2009, 01:32:33 am »
Sounds like your one fruit a day or small salad protocal has something to it there Lex. Do you think at that level of carbs it wouldn't make a difference to go to zero?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 18, 2009, 06:43:04 am »
... Another interesting factoid about mice was that when ‘wild’ mice were given the ability to choose the food they ate, they chose 82% calories as fat, 12%-13% calories as protein, and 5%-6% calories as carbohydrate. ...
That's good news. It lends further support to the experiences of you, William, me and others, as well as the research of Phinney, Rosedale and Groves and the traditional Greenland Inuit diet. I believe the Phinney, Rosedale, Inuit and William's diets all have around 80% fat by calories, to which we can now add the mouse diet. I estimate my own has reached around 75% fat by calories, with only benefits as I increase the fat levels.

The evidence is mounting. It looks like Halotek may want to consider increasing his fat intake, rather than have Lex decrease his.

Converting 30 grams of carbs into raw fruit is about 225 grams (1/2 lb) per day of most fruits and berries. Mellons you can eat about 400 grams and concentrated fruits like fresh figs or bananas only about 150 grams.

As a salad of fresh greens and non-sweet fruits like tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli, onions, etc, you can eat roughly 500 grams ( 1 ¼ lbs) to get the equivalent 30 grams of carbs.
FYI: I don't recommend bananas or tomatoes for anyone, even people who can handle carbs, based on the research I've posted elsewhere. Dried fruits like figs are also highly suspect, due to their sugariness. Berries are probably a better option.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 18, 2009, 07:54:56 am »
Dried fruits like figs are also highly suspect, due to their sugariness.

Figs, like any other fruit, start out fresh and have to be dried to be dry.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 18, 2009, 09:51:14 am »
I've never seen figs sold in any form other than dried. If you can get fresh figs, that would be better.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 18, 2009, 10:07:00 am »
Dried fruit is the single worst food you can eat, in my experience. It's a terrible, terrible food masquerading as a "healthy" food.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 18, 2009, 10:18:16 am »
Yeah, dried fruit was bad for me too. It certainly contributed to my dental problems.

Lex, when you eat butter at restaurants, how is it used? I'm thinking that when you have to eat fried foods at restaurants you ask for eggs and meat to be fried in butter.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 18, 2009, 01:24:28 pm »
Sounds like your one fruit a day or small salad protocal has something to it there Lex. Do you think at that level of carbs it wouldn't make a difference to go to zero?

Peter (Hyperlipid) says that he notices no differenced between Zero Carb and Very Low Carb (30 - 50 grams carbs per day).  Both seem to have a similar effect on blood glucose levels and all other health parameters.

Lex

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk