Author Topic: Ramblings of a madman...  (Read 162101 times)

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Ramblings of a madman...
« Reply #200 on: October 18, 2010, 08:16:48 am »
Today: 9 sets of 5 (45 total)

Since I have to go away to a seminar Tuesday through Friday, and will likely not get to do as many push-ups as I'd like, I'm going to re-do week 1 this week and then do week 2 next week. My wife has also decided she's going to join me in this venture. :)

Deer season (bow) opened here on Saturday. My wife's uncle already took a doe on Saturday morning. I'm going to go out with him next Saturday and learn the ropes. I doubt I will take a shot at anything yet but with luck he'll take another deer and I'll learn to dress the kill as well.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #201 on: October 19, 2010, 07:11:47 pm »
I've got pain in the triceps of both arms which hasn't seemed to get better the past couple days. I first noticed it when I'd lay a certain way in bed but I get it when doing regular push-ups as well. I'm going to take the week off from the push-ups and give my muscles lots of time to recover rather than push through and damage something. I'll figure out something else to work on this week. :)

Edit: The pain is more in my shoulders.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 07:58:37 pm by djr_81 »
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 20, 2010, 10:51:28 pm »
yeah, i would take it easy. There are certain models which suggest doing bodyweight stuff everyday regardless of soreness but I think its better to rest and do other things. It might not take as long as a week but in the meantime I would try body-weight squats (Hindu or regular air-squat) samson stretches, sit-ups, back extensions (supermans), jumping repeatedly on a high box or flat rock, some sprinting etc...

dress to kill man!

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #203 on: October 21, 2010, 06:40:39 am »
yeah, i would take it easy. There are certain models which suggest doing bodyweight stuff everyday regardless of soreness but I think its better to rest and do other things. It might not take as long as a week but in the meantime I would try body-weight squats (Hindu or regular air-squat) samson stretches, sit-ups, back extensions (supermans), jumping repeatedly on a high box or flat rock, some sprinting etc...
I haven't done jack yesterday or today, mostly because I didn't make it to Boston for my seminar until 7:30 last night and was at the seminar most of the day. I did jog the 1.5 miles from the seminar back to the hotel this evening. I think I might do some ab exercises and perhaps some squats tonight too.

dress to kill man!
It would be nice to get a deer. Of course by the time I get back from here Friday night it'll be 8-9PM and I'm not sure I'll be able to get up at 3AM to get ready and drive the hour out to his house. I might put it off for a week. :(
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 21, 2010, 08:37:36 am »
You go to school in Boston? I live just north of the city.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #205 on: October 21, 2010, 07:12:08 pm »
You go to school in Boston? I live just north of the city.
No, I'm taking a three day seminar here (actually in Braintree) for my job.
You can keep Boston BTW. I know plenty of people love the city but it's overpriced and congested IMO. I couldn't live here. :)
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 22, 2010, 06:46:11 am »
yeah, probably a good idea to rest up. When dong body-weight it is important (I think) to keep a variety of full bodied exercises and to alternate or go in the daily regime route. I know you do the running variety, but some of those exercises might be worth considering for 'off days'. other than avoiding long term bigarmsdisproportionism :) helps speed things along sometimes too.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 22, 2010, 07:17:01 am »
No, I'm taking a three day seminar here (actually in Braintree) for my job.
You can keep Boston BTW. I know plenty of people love the city but it's overpriced and congested IMO. I couldn't live here. :)

It's funny you say that. I'm NOT a city girl. It's been a year or so since I've been IN Boston. I live in a nice, quiet suburb north of Boston, and work in Waltham. I prefer quiet, the gym, the woods, etc. to cities!

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #208 on: October 23, 2010, 07:51:52 pm »
Well, I got home last night around 7:30 and I definitely feel better here.
The hotel I was staying at was pet tolerant so my allergies were flared in the room (I need to look into this before I book the room next time). I had to take medicine so I could function and it dehydrated me. Between that and trying to sleep in a hotel with people making lots of noise in the other rooms I had a rough couple days. Slept fantastic last night, I'm drinking lots of water, and I'm feeling much better overall. :)
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 23, 2010, 09:14:10 pm »
Yep staying in hotels gets old really quick.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #210 on: October 24, 2010, 12:02:08 am »
I also gave Hindu squats a shot today based on a couple people mentioning them in other threads and KD's encouragement to train other areas while I'm not working upper body with the push-ups.
I had no idea my quads had gotten as weak as they had before I began the squats. I biked a lot last year but this year I didn't go out as much. I think this let my quads atrophy some but I never really picked up on this until I started focusing on them. I did some regular squats at the hotel a few nights ago and I felt those but the deeper squats I did today really worked my legs over. I only did 2 sets of 25 followed by a set of 50 but I got quite a burn going and definitely see these in a regular routine.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #211 on: November 09, 2010, 09:33:29 am »
Been a while since I've posted here in my journal.

Let's see...
I had a persimmon on Saturday and did fairly well with it. I had fasted from 9PM Friday night until 4PM Saturday afternoon. Between the fasted state, regular exercise, and a small amount of fruit it didn't hit me too bad. I didn't get my normal brain fog and didn't notice a malaise either. I had a bit of indigestion later on that night after eating a big meal of fatty brisket (knocked back almost 2 pounds of it in one meal) but it might have just been from too much food. I had a dry mouth and small headache on Sunday morning letting me know I used a lot of water to process the fruit. I also had a bit of stomach pain that day from the fiber. All in all a positive experience and gives hope that some day I might have a fruit weekly or so.

I've been somewhat lax in the exercise routine. I've been doing stuff when I feel like it but not sticking to a daily/semi-daily schedule. I did go for a run Sunday morning and will do it again tomorrow. Now that the clocks are back an hour, and we have sunlight in the morning, I can get back out there and enjoy the light before work.

Work is going really good. I'm at the tail end of an MRI install now (I was on site today while they rigged it into the space) which I had doubts we'd make. A lot of legwork on my part to make sure things were in place when they needed to be but it's nice to get the project done. My boss appreciates the hard work too (gave me a 5K a year raise ;D) so no complaints on my part. It's not easy work but it's fulfilling and challenging. I'm glad I serendipitously fell into my career. :)

I've noticed the forum has been a bit negative charged lately. Lots more heated exchanges than I remember. I wonder if the seasonal change is to blame for people being a bit depressed/pissy. I know I personally have been more agitated lately than I have been in a long time and I find myself a bit shorter with people than I'd like to be.
I'm planning to spend more time over the winter working on myself introspectively. I think I'm also going to severely curtail my visits here as well, perhaps to once or twice a week rather than every day. Maybe the wife and I will get back to daily meditation tomorrow night. :)
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 09, 2010, 09:42:24 am »
congrat's on the raise!

.. and the persimmon :) 

i'm the worst meditator ever (at least my yoga teacher tells me so  :( ), but i try. and sounds like a bonding thing to enjoy with your wife.  is she eating raw with you yet? :D

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #213 on: November 09, 2010, 09:56:50 am »
congrat's on the raise!
Thank you.
I had smile plastered on my face the whole rest of the day after we sat down for the review.  :)

i'm the worst meditator ever (at least my yoga teacher tells me so  :( ), but i try. and sounds like a bonding thing to enjoy with your wife.  is she eating raw with you yet? :D
She'll occasionally eat some raw meat but she's still cooking most of her food. She's been gravitating to less cooking (the more it's cooked the less appetizing she finds it) so eventually I feel she'll get there. Even if she doesn't she's doing really good with her choices (~90% clean whole foods ala WAP) so she's still doing tons better than she once did.
I sometimes have a hard time meditating myself. When I have nights like that I'll mess around with some energy work and it's just as fullfilling but in a different way. :)

--------------------
I forgot to add; my father had surgery today. He has had problems with diverticulosis/itis since he was in his 20s. A co-worker of his has stage 4 colon cancer and it rocked his perceptions on how invincible he is. He got testing done and they determined he had about 6" of intestine so scarred up that it wasn't working. He went in for surgery today and it ended up being much more entailed than they expected. The 6" ended up being about a foot. The 1 1/2 hour laproscopic surgery ended up being full-blown surgery for over 4 hours. He's recovering now.
I don't agree with most modern surgery and think this could have probably been handled differently but hopefully he makes a full recovery. Maybe some day he'll try even a partial RPD although it's doubtful.
Unlike my relationship with my mother my father has always been distant with his affection. His parents were not overly affectionate and it set his ways. I'm going to give him a big hug when I see him and tell him I love him. I'm glad my dad is ok.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #214 on: November 12, 2010, 08:57:47 am »
http://i.imgur.com/Sk7a2.jpg?ref=nf
Hilarious and awesome at the same time. Now that's a real man. :)
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 12, 2010, 09:29:33 am »
lol. I can't even tell what this is, is it a plaque or something small?

what is the word caught in the shadows? "right in"?

--

Sorry to hear about your dad. I'm going through some of the same stuff, but maybe a little less drastic...unfortunately the typical occurrence of pre-senior heart/cholesterol type stuff. It turned out being less bad than I had originally feared, but he's definitely on all the meds and now that he was avoiding for years. I think his diet is actually getting worse. It seems to be pulling from the worst combinations of med advice, but eating even more foods that society deems bad. For awhile I tried even cooking and prepping stuff to make for him but I gave up. He still remains skeptical of what I do of course, for the reason that he believes his farmer ancestors died of heart disease - as they surely abstained from all cooked foods and starches.

i'm the worst meditator ever (at least my yoga teacher tells me so  :(
your yoga teacher said you are the worst meditator? BALLS!

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #216 on: November 12, 2010, 09:56:05 am »
lol. I can't even tell what this is, is it a plaque or something small?
I'm not really sure. A friend posted the link on Facebook and I got a good laugh out of it so decided to share. It looks like a sign/plaque you would see in a park.

what is the word caught in the shadows? "right in"?
"upon"
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 12, 2010, 11:13:04 am »

your yoga teacher said you are the worst meditator? BALLS!

maybe not quite like that, more like 'ioanna, i want you to really try this time" hahahha.. i AM trying all the time!  i know what my mindset is supposed to be, but instead i become very aware of how everything around me effects the interface of my being (my skin).. how the air moves, every fiber of clothing touching my body, and the list just keeps changing from day to day.. so i get all fidgety.  and what makes it harder to stop thinking like that... one time i had an tickle/itch so bad that i tried so hard (for about 2 seconds!, lol) to ignore.. it felt like a spider, but i kept telling myself it was sweat (was a hot yoga class).. but when i opened my eyes, it was really a spider! haha, one of these days... 

a fight with a bear.. is this real?.. i don't believe it.. and the bear could not use his arms and legs to shred the guy as soon as he  started cutting off the oxygen???

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 12, 2010, 11:32:44 am »
one time i had an tickle/itch so bad that i tried so hard (for about 2 seconds!, lol) to ignore.. it felt like a spider, but i kept telling myself it was sweat (was a hot yoga class).. but when i opened my eyes, it was really a spider! haha, one of these days... 

omg that happened to me but it was an earwig!!!!!! I wasn't meditating..just sunbathing. thought it was sweat.

hmm..meditation is hard. I used to do it really intensely for long periods. za zen and later kundalini meditations. The former is of course really boring if you can't actually get it..and any attention to your body (like back strain from posture) will be quite a road-block. kundalini is more like guided meditations or ones that have various exercises or tasks. I havn't done anything in well over a year specifically meditating. I do alot of things that involve extreme focus and time just flies by and I consider that to be a watered down meditation that accumulates to being possibly more beneficial. A few people I know have asked me why I don't meditate and this one reason I give and the other is "I can't" but I honestly have not even tried once..for even 20 seconds to sit. Its sort of built up in my head that way I guess.

a fight with a bear.. is this real?.. i don't believe it.. and the bear could not use his arms and legs to shred the guy as soon as he  started cutting off the oxygen???
shh you are ruining our macho fantasy

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 12, 2010, 11:45:19 am »
omg that happened to me but it was an earwig!!!!!! I wasn't meditating..just sunbathing. thought it was sweat.

hmm..meditation is hard. I used to do it really intensely for long periods. za zen and later kundalini meditations. The former is of course really boring if you can't actually get it..and any attention to your body (like back strain from posture) will be quite a road-block. kundalini is more like guided meditations or ones that have various exercises or tasks. I havn't done anything in well over a year specifically meditating. I do alot of things that involve extreme focus and time just flies by and I consider that to be a watered down meditation that accumulates to being possibly more beneficial. A few people I know have asked me why I don't meditate and this one reason I give and the other is "I can't" but I honestly have not even tried once..for even 20 seconds to sit. Its sort of built up in my head that way I guess.
shh you are ruining our macho fantasy

ewwwwe!... do they pinch people?

i feel that walking with my dog is somewhat meditative... i love walking, anywhere..

ok, lol, duh! .. it's passed my bedtime ;)

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #220 on: November 26, 2010, 02:17:27 am »
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. ;D

I'm indulging my sweet tooth with some fruits & veggies today while sharing that bounty with my family at the table. I've got a raw beet salad I made (shredded beets, lime juice, little bit of honey, sea salt, and an egg yolk) and some persimmons.

I had salmon roe the other day. Fantastic stuff. I'm going to try and find some fresh roe that hasn't been salted next.

I went to an Asian market today. Tons of interesting foods. I contemplated buying balut and century eggs but ended up passing on both for now. I did find some quail eggs and duck eggs which I'm going to enjoy. I also got some frozen whole green anchovies which I plan to enjoy when they thaw. I bought some sun-dried fruits as well (fig & plum) but I'm leaving most of that for my wife.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 26, 2010, 10:37:46 pm »
And a happy (belated) TG to you!  How was your feast??  :)

I used to go an Asian grocery story (mainly for young coconut), but have become so skeptical of anything imported so I haven't been (nor eaten coconut) in a couple years.  Also, I wasn't eating animal foods at this time, so I guess now it is a whole new experience.

Figs, I love figs!!!!  Though I haven't eaten them in years because I can only get dried ones here and the fresh ones have been disappointingly way under ripe every time I tried them. So I vowed a few years not to eat figs until I move to CA so I can eat the real, fresh deal.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #222 on: November 27, 2010, 02:01:07 am »
And a happy (belated) TG to you!  How was your feast??  :)
It was good but I definitely remember why I don't eat fruit. I'm feeling bloated, drugged with brain fog, and overall out of it today. I've also gone to the bathroom 4 times and feel like I'm giving birth each time. ;D
I also had further vindication last night that cooking is best for me to avoid all together. My mother made apple crisp (without any crust but it did have a sugar & spice topping) and I tried a couple bites. It was so weird having hot food again (unpleasant weird at this point). The apples made me feel shitty right away and sat really heavy so while I lamented not being able to eat it since it smelled so nice I know I made the right choice passing.

I used to go an Asian grocery story (mainly for young coconut), but have become so skeptical of anything imported so I haven't been (nor eaten coconut) in a couple years.  Also, I wasn't eating animal foods at this time, so I guess now it is a whole new experience.
It really is a whole different experience. I went a couple years ago and it was a fun but novel experience. This time I saw so many more foods that just made more sense nutritionally for someone's diet but are viewed as curiosities in our culture. It was a nice experience with a new pair of eyes. :)

Figs, I love figs!!!!  Though I haven't eaten them in years because I can only get dried ones here and the fresh ones have been disappointingly way under ripe every time I tried them. So I vowed a few years not to eat figs until I move to CA so I can eat the real, fresh deal.
We have the same problem here in New York. Most of the figs you find aren't ripe but occasionally you'll find a pack of perfectly ripened figs. They're one of my turtles' favorite foods. :)
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 28, 2010, 06:54:29 am »

You'll have to come here to eat figs, they're so abundant here around that I can't eat them all! I filled 7 containers of 5 liters each with the figs I dried. People don't care about them, they fall on the ground and you walk on an inch thick layer of figs under the trees, it sticks to the soles of your shoes...  There's already a small tree on my land and I planted several more, they'll start to give figs next year I hope, thus I won't even have to walk or bike to the neighborings trees! 
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 28, 2010, 03:19:57 pm »
Figs are good. My parents have them at their place, I had some last year but had to stop.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk