Author Topic: Dry ageing vs highmeat  (Read 9040 times)

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
Dry ageing vs highmeat
« on: September 23, 2009, 01:23:56 am »
I understand that high meat has beneficial bacteria, but I'm actually more interested in the preparing methods.I can't stand the smell of sauerkraut. So there for I know I'm not ready for high meat.

I did however found a site that explained an easy dry aging method by just covering the meat in cloths, leave it inside a corner of the fridge & change the cloths every day for about 3weeks.

I've accidentally done this with paper towels in the past. I've never left the meat in that long. Only about 3days after the printed expiration date. I did notice that the outer layer of meat was tougher, had a more "Meaty" smell & had a slight concentrated taste. I ate it anyways & actually liked it.

Now can this only be done with muscle/fatty meats, is it possible to dry age fish? If anyone has any experience or tips they can post. Please do so. I'm very interested in this. I know options are limited but I would like to know other methods of Raw Paleo approved preserving as well.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Dry ageing vs highmeat
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 02:40:14 am »
I saw a television show about exotic foods once in which the host visited a shark meat aging "factory" where they hung shark meat for weeks at a time. He said it smelled terrible, but that when you cut off just a bit of the outer layer the meat underneath tastes good. So in short, yes you can dry age fish.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 02:43:11 am »
I saw a television show about exotic foods once in which the host visited a shark meat aging "factory" where they hung shark meat for weeks at a time. He said it smelled terrible, but that when you cut off just a bit of the outer layer the meat underneath tastes good. So in short, yes you can dry age fish.
Hakarl - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbYqznD0R5M&feature=fvw
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 03:44:57 am »
I always make sure my high-meat is "wet-aged". If the high-meat gets too dry for whatever reason, then the usual benefits I  get from  "high-meat" are virtually nonexistent.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 03:51:46 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 11:52:48 pm »
Tyler, is it because of the bacteria growth?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 03:52:49 am »
Tyler, is it because of the bacteria growth?

I presume so. I mean, the main benefit one receives from the high-meat is the boost to one's mood and that is derived entirely from the bacteria, so dry-aging may affect the bacteria negatively in some way.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline aariel

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 12:24:26 pm »
Stefansson writes about fish in "The Fat of the Land". Fish was caught throughout the season and put under rocks to keep away scavengers.  It would be in various states of decay based on age and the time of year. The fish would freeze in the winter and would be thawed as needed to be eaten. It was eaten when it got to the consistency of ice cream.

Stefansson also points out that salt cured meats (dry aged) didn't have the same anti-scurvey properties as fresh (raw) meat. So it's not just the bacteria.

"The Fat of the Land" is out of print. But you can get a copy at:

http://www.zerocarbage.com/library/FOTL.pdf

It's an amazing book that I highly recommend.

Are lacto-fermented meats like salami considered high-meat?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 04:43:44 pm »
Stefansson also points out that salt cured meats (dry aged) didn't have the same anti-scurvey properties as fresh (raw) meat. So it's not just the bacteria.

You seem to have misunderstood the discussion. We weren't referring to the vitamin C issue re raw and cooked meats, we were simply discussing the boost to mood which comes from the bacteria in high-meat. We
"The Fat of the Land" is out of print. But you can get a copy at:

http://www.zerocarbage.com/library/FOTL.pdf

Well, Stefansson provided some very misleading anti-raw info in his books but the above might be a useful link somewhere on this board. I'll see about posting a thread.
It's an amazing book that I highly recommend.

*Forget it. I've just realised that I'd already posted a link providing that link in another thread on the ZC forum.

Are lacto-fermented meats like salami considered high-meat?
Not at all.
" Ron Paul.

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 09:22:08 pm »
So I dried up a fatty beef shank using the method I provided. It taste like rubber. Although I found the fat a little easier to chew, I didn't like the overall taste. I ate about 1/4 of it & decided to just cook it in light boiled water ~140 degree water, meat was 100degree internal(I'm about 70-75% Raw right now). Taste better cooked.

If anyone's thinking of trying to dry age their beef for raw consumption,don't waste your time.

Offline PrimalLadyRosy

• Trapper
    • View Profile
    • Primal Diet Friends
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 03:32:02 pm »
Raw fooder gives friends highmeat for the first time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf3uycIWwEw
If anyone's thinking of trying to dry age their beef for raw consumption,don't waste your time.
Thanks.  I agree.
I am the creator of the primal diet friends social networking site, thanks to Jim and Barbara Ellingson's suggestion.

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 07:11:44 pm »
I am researching primitive methods of sausage making. They had it down to a science. Four techniques were used to control harmful bacteria in room temp storage. Beneficial bacteria (acidolpholis types) raises the Ph level, and the meat is cold smoked & dried and salt is used also. It will last a looonnnngggg time and does not need cooking. Not comparable to modern USA sausage. It is still made in some areas of Europe.

Love this type of sausage, I've been experimenting with cold smokers to duplicate the process. Great for preserving a large animal.

Uncontrolled high meat is dangerous. Beware or be dead. The bad bacteria that attacks the meat will attack you. Your nose knows.
Naturally, Don

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 11:43:21 pm »
i leave my meat in the fridge to age all the time now.  only the outside gets a little dry, the inside just gets softer and the meat gets tastier the longer i leave it in there.  aged meat did wonders for me in the beginning, even when i was still having some troubles with fresh meat. so there's got to be good bacteria in there doing something good for me, and it's so much tastier!  i'd definitely recommend it for better digestion for someone not ready to try high meat yet. i'm sure high meat will be even better though.

fish i eat fresh. i tried aging salmon once, but it just got too dry.  it's more appealing to me to eat seafood fresh.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 11:19:03 am »
Dry aging doesn't work well with all cuts of meat, in my experience, so maybe that was the problem in that old post back in 2009. Some cuts work very well indeed. Beef jerky using a dehydrator is very similar to dry aging and I now tend to make my jerky by just dry aging (air drying) it, which produces better tasting jerky than machine-dried jerky. The best steak restaurants dry-age their steaks, and they wouldn't be able to sell them if they tasted nasty.

I believe there was a thread some time ago on some American butcher and specialty shops and restaurants that make traditional raw fermented sausage and age some of their meats. Unfortunately, the USDA has been making things more and more difficult for them.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 11:40:30 am »
I now tend to make my jerky by just dry aging (air drying) it, which produces better tasting jerky than machine-dried jerky.

how long does that take?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 12:15:50 pm »
Love this type of sausage, I've been experimenting with cold smokers to duplicate the process. Great for preserving a large animal.

Uncontrolled high meat is dangerous. Beware or be dead. The bad bacteria that attacks the meat will attack you. Your nose knows.

Has uncontrolled high meat put you in the hospital?

What large animals have you done?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 07:19:15 pm »
how long does that take?
2 days or more
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk