Author Topic: Getting "high" on high meats/fats  (Read 3614 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Getting "high" on high meats/fats
« on: September 26, 2009, 10:32:34 pm »
I mentioned to someone about Eskimos getting "high"/euphoric on high meats/fats. He suggested that maybe it's because alcohol is produced by the fermentation. I thought it was the bacteria that produced the effect. Does fermenting meats/fats produce any alcohol?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Getting "high" on high meats/fats
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 10:51:02 pm »
I once had some liver blood that fermented into alcohol.  That's the only time I've seen that happen.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 11:04:33 pm »
I can't see how fermented meat could turn into alcohol,it's only fruit that turns into alcohol.But the main point is that it's been proven that bacteria are linked to a rise in mood:-

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/66840.php

plus, after getting the euphoric benefits of "high-meat" there are no aftereffects of any kind, whereas alcohol consumption is followed by hangover effects.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline reyyzl

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Chicken Schwarma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 04:14:35 pm »
I once had some liver blood that fermented into alcohol.  That's the only time I've seen that happen.

That may be possible.  The glycogen in it may turn into alcohol, acids, even vinegar.  That's one reason I try to avoid liver.  Fruit vinegars are more pleasant tasting.
"A genuine RPDer should always live by the coast." -TylerDurden Global Moderator Mammoth Hunter

Too often we get caught up trying to get to the end. What is most important however is to discover the beginning. We don’t solve problems or start to heal unless we can be willing, be kind, laugh a little and commit to seeking until we find. If we can, we’ll get started. I’ll meet you at the beginning!
“Reflections on My Travels…India” by Michael J Tamura ~ pg. 57

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk