Author Topic: Health of hunter-gatherers  (Read 2113 times)

carnivore

Health of hunter-gatherers
« on: October 02, 2009, 12:46:10 am »

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2009/09/malocclusion-disease-of-civilization.html

"Over the course of the next several posts, I'll give an overview of the extensive literature showing that hunter-gatherers past and present have excellent occlusion, subsistence agriculturalists generally have good occlusion, and the adoption of modern foodways directly causes the crooked teeth, narrow arches and/or crowded third molars (wisdom teeth) that affect the majority of people in industrialized nations. I believe this process also affects the development of the rest of the skull, including the face and sinuses. "

To keep an eye on this blog...

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: Health of hunter-gatherers
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 05:18:28 am »
Stephen Guyenet is up to part VIII in this series. He adds tons of references beyond Weston Price and shows that cooking is not the only factor in malocclusion. Here are the primary factors in avoiding malocclusion that he identifies:

# A nutrient-rich, whole foods diet, presumably including organs. [once again vitamins A, D3 and K2 are key]
# Prolonged breast feeding.
# No bottle-feeding or modern pacifiers.
# Tough foods on a regular basis.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk