Author Topic: Grassfed bone-marrow  (Read 12037 times)

Offline Cthulhu

• Forager
    • View Profile
Grassfed bone-marrow
« on: October 03, 2009, 12:34:28 pm »
The organic grass-fed meat I buy is pretty good, but I am looking for other cuts of meat that I can't get. I usually just buy fatty cuts of beef and thats usually my main fat source, in conjunction with a few other fats. Anyway, I am thinking about ordering some food from the Slankers website that I have not yet tried. One thing I haven't tried is marrow. Which kind of marrow do you like guys best? I see lamb and beef marrow, which both look pretty good. Also, can you tell Slankers not to freeze your meat when you order from them?

Thanks,

C

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Grassfed bone-marrow
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 04:42:28 pm »
The organic grass-fed meat I buy is pretty good, but I am looking for other cuts of meat that I can't get. I usually just buy fatty cuts of beef and thats usually my main fat source, in conjunction with a few other fats. Anyway, I am thinking about ordering some food from the Slankers website that I have not yet tried. One thing I haven't tried is marrow. Which kind of marrow do you like guys best? I see lamb and beef marrow, which both look pretty good. Also, can you tell Slankers not to freeze your meat when you order from them?

Thanks,

C

I don't know about Slanker's as I'm from the UK. All I can say is that I've found wild deer marrow to be the best in taste.

I don't think Slanker's gives you a choice, but I should point out that the best marrow comes from the lower leg. The marrow from the upper leg is a bit too dry and bland in taste.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 11:36:09 pm »
Yeah, Tyler is right. I bought some bone marrow from the supermarket recently, and they don't distinguish on the label the types, so I ended up with all of the dry-crumbly type, whereas in the past I had been lucky to only get the creamy type.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Furion

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 12:42:19 am »
Slankers meat is all frozen according to their website.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 01:00:17 am »
You can usually tell the size or thickness of the bones.  The lower section is smaller in diameter.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 01:53:21 am »
Makes sense. Thanks. These weren't that big, so maybe they came from the lower part of the upper leg, or maybe they just got dried out.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Cthulhu

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 02:22:51 am »
I don't know about Slanker's as I'm from the UK. All I can say is that I've found wild deer marrow to be the best in taste.

I don't think Slanker's gives you a choice, but I should point out that the best marrow comes from the lower leg. The marrow from the upper leg is a bit too dry and bland in taste.

That sucks. I wish you had a choice at Slankers. So do you think bone marrow from the lower leg tastes better than suet and knuckle marrow? I just want to order the right thing and not end up ordering a bunch of food in bulk that is hard for me to eat, lol.

Offline Cthulhu

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 02:26:52 am »
Yeah, Tyler is right. I bought some bone marrow from the supermarket recently, and they don't distinguish on the label the types, so I ended up with all of the dry-crumbly type, whereas in the past I had been lucky to only get the creamy type.

Yeah, I saw some frozen marrow at my supermarket too but skipped it. I wanted to do more research on that because my main fat source usually comes from the fatty cuts of steak that I buy. Do you order marrow from Slankers? If so, did you usually get good marrow or the dry stuff?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 04:18:38 am »
That sucks. I wish you had a choice at Slankers. So do you think bone marrow from the lower leg tastes better than suet and knuckle marrow? I just want to order the right thing and not end up ordering a bunch of food in bulk that is hard for me to eat, lol.

I don't know what you mean by knuckle marrow. Perhaps you mean the very little marrow that exists at the end of the joints, which is not worht bothering about. As for suet, the vast majority of people prefer the taste of raw marrow to suet(but mainly only the soft, creamy kind - I'm one of the few who doesn't really mind the dry, blander marrow).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 05:07:30 am »

Have you guys tried warming it up?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 08:51:26 am »
Do you order marrow from Slankers? If so, did you usually get good marrow or the dry stuff?
No, I only occasionally get marrow and just from the supermarket. My local health food store sells grassfed suet for about 1/2 what Slanker's charges and I'd like if possible to get to the point where I really love something and have gotten expert at incorporating it into my lifestyle before I buy big quantities of it. Plus, given that I seem to be doing pretty well on local grass-fed ground meat and suet with some local grain-fed steak for much less overall cost than buying bulk all-grassfed from Slanker's or anyone else, and without having to make room for a huge freezer, there isn't a lot of incentive to do that. However, since I started buying the local GF suet they did jack up the price from 90 cents/lb to $1.40/lb, so I'll have to see if they keep doing that. I wonder if it was due to my demand? I probably buy a quarter of the suet sold by the store single-handedly, LOL!

One question that's hard for me to know the answer to, is whether I would do better if I replaced my grainfed lean steak with grassfed. Has anyone noticed a big difference in health in grassfed raw beef jerky over grainfed?

Have you guys tried warming it up?
Yeah, I very briefly melted the dry stuff at low temps, because I was taking too long to eat it. It made it creamy. I wasn't going to mention it because it's frowned upon by some here.

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 02:13:23 pm »
PaleoPhil. Do you only eat lean cuts of conventional meats, & not the fat?

I tried to include 90% lean ground Bison(conventional,not organic or grassfed) for variety in my protein intake. I ended up with holiday tummy. I think I'll avoid bison,until I can find an Organic grass-fed source. But I'm considering Organic grain fed beef cause it's about 1-$2 cheaper a lb compared to grass-fed. Right now I normally purchase Grass-fed bone in shanks & chuck/shoulder roast (fattiest piece they have available) cause it's the cheapest cuts I can find.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 04:51:16 pm »
I've also noticed farmers deliberately hiking up the price when they realise I'm buying large amounts of organs that no one else wants.  As long as it's only an increase of a pound , maybe two, I tend to ignore it as I would be paying far more for raw organic/grassfed muscle-meats.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 04:47:53 am »
PaleoPhil. Do you only eat lean cuts of conventional meats, & not the fat?

I tried to include 90% lean ground Bison(conventional,not organic or grassfed) for variety in my protein intake. I ended up with holiday tummy. I think I'll avoid bison,until I can find an Organic grass-fed source. But I'm considering Organic grain fed beef cause it's about 1-$2 cheaper a lb compared to grass-fed. Right now I normally purchase Grass-fed bone in shanks & chuck/shoulder roast (fattiest piece they have available) cause it's the cheapest cuts I can find.
Nearly all of the highly grainfed supermarket meats I buy are lean meats (mostly top round or eye of round). I buy from the supermarket that has the leanest, freshest looking lean steaks for my raw jerky, because they appear to be less grainfed, taste better and make better raw jerky. I also buy some ground bison and venison meats and pork sausage produced by local farms that are leaner and better tasting than supermarket meats and reportedly don't have antibiotics or hormones and probably are fed less grain, but are not claimed to be 100% grassfed. I also buy 100% grassfed ground beef and suet and occasionally other animal parts that show up.

I find that I enjoy the local bison and venison (probably grain-finished) best of the meats and can eat them faster, which helps keep my weight up. Haven't noticed negative effects from eating them vs. the 100% grassfed stuff, though I would prefer doing all grassfed and would probably pay the extra money.

Since we do have grassfed and mostly grass-fed farmers here, I think the main reason the local farmers' markets don't have more and cheaper grassfed meat options is that there isn't sufficient demand at them. Most of the people who go to those seem to be vegetarians, vegans, near-vegetarians, pizza-eating and money-scrimping young folks and tourists rather than big-time meat eaters like me. I live in a heavily vegetarian/vegan area where hunters and meat eaters tend to be considered rednecks or worse, but if you travel just a little ways into the country you find more hunters.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 09:13:24 am »
for lack of a better place to post this question, i'll post it here.

i get my grass fed marrow from whole foods and they just put a few 3-4 inch long bones in a plastic bag and put them in a side freezer. so the bones are self serve, no butcher involved. anyways, they are almost always very good quality, but occasionally i get a few bones that are... different. these bones have a different smell, color, and taste. they have a strange smell that i can't really describe. it's not necessarily a bad smell, just different. they color is almost green. kind of a light greenish yellow. and they taste kinda like they smell... i guess kind of a mixture of cheese and plastic (?), i dont know.

anyways, im trying to figure out if i should eat these or not. usually i just eat them because they're not that bad, but now im wondering if maybe these are from grainfed cows or from infected cows or something and i shouldn't be eating them. i have no idea really. has anyone experienced anything like this? just curious.

Offline pc701

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 09:23:19 am »
I have eaten solely grain fed marrow and it tastes good/sweet.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 09:36:39 am »

i get my grass fed marrow from whole foods and they just put a few 3-4 inch long bones in a plastic bag and put them in a side freezer.

I have one of these small little freezers at mine as well that carries suet and organs. are the packages specifically marked grass-fed? I assume the one by me to be their normal hormone free grain-fed products as there are no special markings. I think someone in another thread mentioned their shipped grass-fed marrow as hit/miss tho.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 11:10:31 am »
my whole foods only gets bones from grass fed beef apparently. i've asked before and they've told me all the marrow bones are grass fed. and i believe them for the most part. i just question this greenish strange ones

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 11:38:49 am »
my whole foods only gets bones from grass fed beef apparently. i've asked before and they've told me all the marrow bones are grass fed. and i believe them for the most part. i just question this greenish strange ones
I had one like that tonight.
The marrow itself didn't seem to have a big difference in color (a bit more yellow) but the bone itself inside was kind of greenish grey. I ate some of the marrow but it didn't taste as good IMO, was a slightly stiffer/drier texture than the other bone in my package, and was off-putting visually so I tossed it rather than finish it.
This was my first one like this though out of maybe two dozen marrow bones so it seems it's not common.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 11:56:55 am »
interesting. yes, it's definitely not common, but im really curious as to what it is. it seems really strange that it's green

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk