Author Topic: Re: Paleo diet for healing  (Read 4392 times)

Offline chris.in.oz

• Forager
    • View Profile
Re: Paleo diet for healing
« on: October 21, 2009, 11:18:25 am »
Hi All,
I have read both books by Aajonus Vonderplanitz and am fascinated by his alternative views on diet and nutrition, especially the concept of using raw foods as a means of improving disease states.

I was wondering if anybody here has had beneficial results or is aware of the effectiveness of this diet on such conditions as seizures, migraines, anxiety disorders and other neuro and neurovascular states.  

Any input is much appreciated.

Chris.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 03:17:18 pm by chris.in.oz »

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 04:01:32 pm »
I'm not 100% converted to this (yet?), but after reading this blog I noticed people had some 'healing crisis' and I would not like that at all:

http://flexrx.nourished.com.au/2008/08/06/the-primal-diet/

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 04:21:51 pm »
http://www.rawpaleodiet.com/geoff-purcell-uk-on-rvaf-diet/

I recovered from anxiety while doing rawpalaeo(though aajonus' primal diet was useless for me, personally, as dairy caused my  former anxiety -issues in the first place)
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 05:14:38 pm »
I'm not 100% converted to this (yet?), but after reading this blog I noticed people had some 'healing crisis' and I would not like that at all:

http://flexrx.nourished.com.au/2008/08/06/the-primal-diet/

I just read this blog.  It has too much science and little substance.  I could not find any success stories there, people just keep looking for answers.  The blog owner, Scott, only mentions increased energy levels.

I personally do not like science discussions, most of it is pure speculation as none of us really know much about how things work on cellular level. We simply gather little bits here and there and then make our own conclusions.  I try to avoid science talk but sometimes do put my 2 cents in it.

What I would love to see is a success story and no science talk at all.  Someone who recovered beautifully to share their story something like this "I ate this and that in these amounts.  Don't ask me how it works because I do not know.  It just works".

I often see in blogs like these people get too excited and almost fanatical about things they eat and how they eat, something like a cult.  I believe simplicity is the key.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 07:34:18 pm »
...I was wondering if anybody here has had beneficial results or is aware of the effectiveness of this diet on such conditions as seizures, migraines, anxiety disorders and other neuro and neurovascular states.  

Any input is much appreciated.

Chris.

My anxiety decreased and confidence increased each step along the way: gluten and dairy free, then Paleo, VLC mostly raw Paleo, and currently carnivorous RPD.

There is also lots of research connecting neurological disorders to modern foods, such as here: Cereal Grains: Humanity’s Double-Edged Sword,
Loren Cordain, http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/Cereal%20article.pdf. What have you found in your own search?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

William

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 09:55:03 pm »
I just read this blog.  It has too much science and little substance.  I could not find any success stories there, people just keep looking for answers.  The blog owner, Scott, only mentions increased energy levels.

It's been called reductionist, which means an expert; defined as someone who knows more and more about less and less until he knows everything about nothing.
Science is to me simply learning and we all do that here

I personally do not like science discussions, most of it is pure speculation as none of us really know much about how things work on cellular level. We simply gather little bits here and there and then make our own conclusions.  I try to avoid science talk but sometimes do put my 2 cents in it.

Sometime useful, for instance years ago the boring babble about superoxide dismutase eventually made me realize the importance of enzymes.

What I would love to see is a success story and no science talk at all.  Someone who recovered beautifully to share their story something like this "I ate this and that in these amounts.  Don't ask me how it works because I do not know.  It just works".

You found the right place. All winners here - read the archive.
There's also the forum at zeroinginonhealth.com, where reductionist science is strongly discouraged.

I often see in blogs like these people get too excited and almost fanatical about things they eat and how they eat, something like a cult.  I believe simplicity is the key.

Not surprising, when it saves one's life, however in time beliefs must  be based on actual experience so they they are no longer faith/superstition. IMHO constant testing/experimenting/doubt is the way.

You want simple? We have it!
See Lex Rookers's pemmican posts, also delfuego's on the other forum.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk