Author Topic: Considering dental health options: vitamins A, D3, K2  (Read 20100 times)

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Considering dental health options: vitamins A, D3, K2
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 07:08:41 pm »
Unfortunately, I have no access to bison meat here in the UK (certainly not 100% grass-fed anyway).

I only tend to eat lamb's liver.  I find other liver too strong.  Lamb, in comparison, is quite mild when fresh and I suspect that it's literal 'youthfulness' provides it's own benefits in terms of cellular age, vitality and low toxicity.
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 11:05:24 pm »
Unfortunately, I have no access to bison meat here in the UK (certainly not 100% grass-fed anyway).

This website offers a choice of between grass-finished and grain-finished bison, in the UK:-
http://www.seedsofhealth.co.uk/resources/meat/bushfarmbison.shtml

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2009, 12:29:55 am »
Thanks for the link Tyler.  I haven't seen them on Seeds of Health before but I haven't been on there for a while.

I couldn't find much in the way of detail on the website.  How do you know they offer grass-finished bison - have I missed it or have you spoken with them to ascertain this?  Do you know much else about the feeding of their bison?  I'd be interested in trying some of there meats!
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2009, 05:30:14 pm »
Thanks for the link Tyler.  I haven't seen them on Seeds of Health before but I haven't been on there for a while.

I couldn't find much in the way of detail on the website.  How do you know they offer grass-finished bison - have I missed it or have you spoken with them to ascertain this?  Do you know much else about the feeding of their bison?  I'd be interested in trying some of there meats!

I'm sorry, I haven't made an enquiry as I have already very good access to wild game(which I find far superior to any grassfed meat by comparison). I merely read the description on the siter mentioning a choice between grain-finished and grass-finished bison meat.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 01:35:20 am »
I'm sorry, I haven't made an enquiry as I have already very good access to wild game(which I find far superior to any grassfed meat by comparison). I merely read the description on the siter mentioning a choice between grain-finished and grass-finished bison meat.

No worries.  The Seeds of Health site does frequently seem inaccurate in it's descriptions once one looks into the matter further in my experience.
You certainly seem to do well accessing great sources of meat and seafood!  I have reasonable access here in Norfolk to seasonal wild game too which I occasionally indulge in.  But I have most of my 100% grass-fed foods delivered from Devon and Shropshire for financial reasons now.  As you know, I'm off oysters for now!  :)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2009, 09:18:54 am »
Anyone, such as Lex, have any thoughts on the following?

Peter at hyperlipid posits an interesting hypothesis that high IUs of vitamin D supplementation might not be necessary on a meat-based diet, even with limited sunshine, despite his own high levels of supplementation. See:

"Vitamin D and UV fluctuations (2)," http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/search/label/Vitamin%20D%20and%20UV%20fluctuations%20(2)

Some relevant excerpts:

....I am quite well convinced from the Glasgow experience that catastrophic vitamin D deficiency can be largely be ameliorated by eating meat. Can "suboptimal" vitamin D deficiency relating to cancer and CVD also be optimised by eating meat? Supplementing just 100iu/d sorts out rickets but the same effect can be achieved with the occasional burger.

I can see that aiming for a middle to upper lab range is a reasonable hedging of bets. I'm not sure it is needed unless you come from a history of vegetarianism or persist in the consumption of whole meal flour, especially if coupled with near complete UV avoidance. Never forget that much of the data on vitamin D supplementation comes from a population crushed under the Food Pyramid or its derivatives, an eating plan which almost seems to have been designed to maximise disease. Vitamin D might well help under these situations, but what of those of us who eat Food?

It seems like humans can get away with vegetarianism in the tropics. Move north and you need to eat meat.

This could explain why the Inuit did not get high rates of rickets or kidney stones and had powerful jaws despite months of little sunshine. Some claim that they suffered from osteoporosis, but I don't know the original source(s) of these claims and whether they were regarding pre-European-contact or post-contact Inuit.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

carnivore

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 09:51:16 am »
There is very limited information out there regarding natural sources of K2.

Here is analysis of K2 in different human tissues.  I assume it was done on fresh cadavers.

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=877476

The highest concentration of MK-4 was in pancreas.  Similar distribution was found in rat tissues.  I would assume it would be similar to ruminants (pancreas function is more or less the same in most of the vertebrates).

Unfortunately, there are very few sources of grass-fed pancreas.  I wish there would be more as I prefer to consume organs instead of supplements.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk