Author Topic: How important is the Attitude?  (Read 6124 times)

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
How important is the Attitude?
« on: November 05, 2009, 04:45:22 am »

I was thinking about the attitude towards diet lately. How much do you think it counts?

I consider it to be a very important aspect and ever since I was little I generally refused to eat if I was feeling angry or someone pissed me off at the table.

One book I recently read mentions this interesting points:

"When you eat, do so with an eye single to the purpose of getting all the enjoyment
you can from that meal; ..."

"NEVER eat until you have an EARNED hunger, no matter how long you go
without food. ..."
(Gary Brodsky - Art of Great Health)

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
Re: How important is the Attitude?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 05:04:09 am »
Earned hunger? What does that mean. lately I've been trying not to think of food as entertainment, just for nutrition.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 05:26:35 am »
He makes a distinction between "earned hunger" (when you're really hungry) and just cravings which kind of feel like hunger but they are not.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 05:30:53 am »
I don't think that "earned hunger" applies much to raw paleo, because raw meat doesn't give me those addictive cravings other foods do. In fact, sometimes when my body is adjusting to this diet, I don't feel hungry for raw meat even if I have worked out or some other "earning" activity. If you're eating addictive stuff then it's easy to eat when your body doesn't really need anything, not so much with plain pure food.

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 05:34:40 am »
So true Kyle. Although I'm still new, there are times after working out were I tell myself I have to eat right away(out of habit & conventional wisdom). But it's all in my head because I don't really feel hungry. So I've been eating later on or the next morning. I haven't noticed any muscle lose or fatigue either.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 11:02:02 am »
I consider it to be a very important aspect and ever since I was little I generally refused to eat if I was feeling angry or someone pissed me off at the table.

One book I recently read mentions this interesting points:

"When you eat, do so with an eye single to the purpose of getting all the enjoyment
you can from that meal; ..."

"NEVER eat until you have an EARNED hunger, no matter how long you go
without food. ..."
(Gary Brodsky - Art of Great Health)

Isn't that from The Science of Being Well by Wallace D Wattles?  To lose weight?  For example don't eat when you wake up, because you've done nothing to earn food yet.  At a time I feel I was addicted to eating shortly after I woke up each morning, I felt a strong urge to eat.  I was overly thin though, and trying to gain at least muscle, if not some fat too.  When I started eating better food in a better place, those problems disappeared.

In Ayurveda, people of Kapha dosha, in other words people who are able to become fat, are directed not to eat more than fresh fruit in the morning, if anything, as their digestion is slow, and they likely still have dinner in their stomach.

When I was little I was never really happy, and I never wanted to eat.  I really didn't want to swallow or even taste anything.  I felt ok that way, even though food at home was good.  On the rare occasion of visiting other people even the food not being as good quality, I ate, no problems swallowing.  I don't think it was the food.  I think it was the people's attitudes around me.  I am sensitive to the way others in my presence are with me.  Or maybe it was because I knew home, so didn't need to eat to learn anything, but at other people's homes there was something new to learn, hence needing food to facilitate that, IDK.

I don't think I ever got angry as a child.  Maybe other people would have gotten angry, but I kind of understood everyone from their points of view, so I found no reason to be angry.  I guess spiritually I was in everyone's hearts, but not in myself.  I astral traveled a lot too and knew before people would die.  I guess that sounds spooky.  There was little I bothered wanting, and then not for long, not that things were fulfilled.

But yes, I find attitude important in some ways in eating and healing.  I've seen people on some of the best diets, and good attitudes seem to go along with eating well and healing, while deficient attitudes seem to go along with deterioration, no matter the quality or combinations of the food or the people around.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 12:27:27 pm »
Those snippets from Brodsky are pretty much the opposite of RPD eating, in general, from what I can tell. To get a sense of the sort of thinking that tends to accompany RPD-eating, read Lex Rooker's journal, if you haven't already. Lex does not seek any entertainment from his food. His journal is required reading for anyone who wants to understand nutrition.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 04:10:32 pm »
PaleoPhil:
Going neutral/indifferent is also an attitude and it's one that works well if we consider it will discard negative thoughts by default. So in my opinion Lex does have an attitude.

DeadRamones:
I generally believe that eating after training is indicated if you dont want to loose muscle mass. Those who practice body building will always confirm this.

I guess spiritually I was in everyone's hearts, but not in myself.  I astral traveled a lot too and knew before people would die.  I guess that sounds spooky. ...

Do you have psychic abilities or have you trained is this area?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 05:13:28 pm »
I view this diet as being potentially for enjoyment. I would certainly have had difficulty continuing if I hadn't gone in for a lot of raw  wild game/wildcaught seafood. Just eating grassfed meat would have been rather boring for me.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 06:33:26 am »
What I mean is, instead of "NEVER eat until you have an EARNED hunger...," RPD lets you eat whenever you're hungry until you've had your fill, and it's not necessary to eat for entertainment, unless you want to (and when Lex talks about not needing entertainment from his food, it doesn't mean he doesn't enjoy eating it--based on his journal I would say he does enjoy his food, though it took some time before he did--and Stone Age peoples ate a wide variety of animals, seafood, insects, grubs, and plants, so I'm not implying that it's necessary to restrict one's diet to mostly one type of meat like Lex generally does). Instead of social and psychological reasons being the chief reasons for when or how you eat, natural instinct regains primacy, just as with all wild animals. The usual advice of counting calories and frequent small meals is also unnecessary with RPD.

So when it comes to RPD, instead of attitude, I would speak of instinct. I'm not saying one should ignore social factors, I just wouldn't give them primacy (since the approach that lends itself most readily to putting enjoyment, entertainment, "earning" the right to eat foods that are sufficiently unhealthy to require restriction, and other social and psychological purposes is the widely recommended calorie-restricted SAD with aerobic exercise combination which has failed so many people so miserably). Our Instincto friends are better versed in this than I and might be able to explain it better.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 06:50:04 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 10:23:58 pm »
DeadRamones:
I generally believe that eating after training is indicated if you dont want to loose muscle mass. Those who practice body building will always confirm this.

Yea that's why in the past I used to eat bannana's a few minutes before my workout & chug sugar/protien shakes after my workout. It's the most basic suggestion by nutrtionist for athletes.

I haven't done it in about a month. I eat sometimes about 2hours after workout or in the next morning(cause I get back from late workouts).I have yet to notice any muscle or energy loss.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 06:51:45 am »
PaleoPhil:
I believe instinct can be good as a guide to let one know when and maybe what to eat. If a positive attitude is added on top of that you can expect some seriously positive results.

DeadRamones:
I suppose you can manage to not eat after the workout and still progress to some degree but in "the golden after workout hour", the muscles absorb the most nutrients and the glycogen  is replaced most efficiently. If you don't want to max out you should be fine anyway.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 09:08:53 am »
PaleoPhil:
I believe instinct can be good as a guide to let one know when and maybe what to eat. If a positive attitude is added on top of that you can expect some seriously positive results.
I've found that for me a super-positive attitude flows naturally and unconsciously from eating right and getting enough sleep and sunshine. RPD and Paleo in general did way more for me, including re: feeling positive, happy, confident and more gregarious, than any self-help advice I've put in practice (which is a lot, because I have one of the world's biggest advocates for positive-thinking self-help for a father) like consciously adopting positive mental attitude. It's hard to explain if one hasn't experienced it oneself and to those who haven't experienced it, it may sound like I'm attributing too much to diet, I know (I would have thought that myself 6 years ago), but I find that on those very rare occasions that I don't have a positive attitude it usually follows a food cheating episode.

So yes, I believe I have a positive attitude, and that it's more positive than it was in the past (and I think I was pretty positive before too), despite spending more conscious effort in the past to cultivate a positive attitude. It comes to me organically, rather than through conscious effort. As always, your mileage may vary.

Re: workouts, I'm no expert on them, and I'm still working on figuring out what works best for me in that realm, but Dr. Eades and others advocate fasting before and during workouts and he gave a biological explanation for why to do it that way in one of his articles. I don't know who's right about that and I'm not looking for a debate. As a matter of fact, I've seen every opinion I've read or heard on working out contradicted by someone else. There's quite a range of opinions on it, as there is on diet.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 05:21:37 pm »
Hmm, my own experience showed that eating during workouts helped and shortly afterwards.  Ah well, everyone's different.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 11:24:59 pm »
I haven't noticed any difference in performance or recovery myself whether I eat before, during or after or not and don't have an opinion on it--other than that a workout can make me hungry so that eating then satiates that hunger. Just thought I'd share that there are varying opinions on it.

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 02:05:19 am »
I love raw steak and raw chicken.  I like seasonings on it, and will make a few different salsas.  I do not enjoy eating med-rare steak, or chicken from any restaurant as much as I like to have it raw, warmed up, and maybe just barely 'cooked' on the outside at home.

And eating has always been one of my fav activities.  While I rarely over-stuff myself these days (raw meat tends to satisfy so you stop when you should), I do look foward to eating these meals.  Altho I admit, lunch is usually plain, cold, raw steak with maybe a tomato or avocado, and that's more just to satisfy hunger conviniently and quickly (not much enjoyment), as opposed to supper where I look foward to eating.

Also I started cooking sunny side up eggs b/c of the egg white thread.  I love eggs. 

When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 01:22:56 am »
About eating while under stress.

Have you noticed that a lot of wild animals eat while under stress and eat fast?

They don't seem to have stress related issues. Or maybe we cant tell.

Even some of the caged animals are like that. I can think of my guinea pigs eating really fast as if someone was going to attack them and take it away.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk