Author Topic: Link between AA in SF and inflammation?  (Read 4086 times)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Link between AA in SF and inflammation?
« on: November 08, 2009, 10:41:57 am »
Dietary 'experts' say not to consume large amounts of dietary animal foods because their fat is saturated, thereby high in arachidonic acid that promotes inflammation.

This has not been my experience, but I know SF is high in AA and AA does promote inflammation.  I think AA is responsible for the synthesis of several other prostaglandins though that are anti-inflammatory as well and will produce the ones the body requires at that time??... I can't remember. 

Any responses?

Offline popeye

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Re: Link between AA in SF and inflammation?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 11:18:50 am »
I remember reading something that indicated that this whole thing about arachidonic acid promoting inflammation was bogus.  Let me see if I can find it.

Offline popeye

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 11:26:46 am »
Can't find it, but just reading up on it on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachidonic_acid allows me to comment.  It's an omega-6 fat, which means it is pro inflammatory if and only if it is out of balance with other fats.  It is actually an important fat, being an essential fatty acid, and is a precursor not only to inflammatory prostaglandins but also to prostaglandins that help control inflammation.  So eat that red meat; eat those eggs!

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 11:52:29 am »
thanks for checking on that!

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 11:56:49 am »
here's what wikipedia says:

Dietary Arachidonic Acid and Inflammation

Under normal metabolic conditions, the increased consumption of arachidonic acid is unlikely to increase inflammation. ARA is metabolized to both pro-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory molecules[15]. Studies giving between 840 mg and 2,000 mg per day to healthy individuals for up to 50 days have shown no increases in inflammation or related metabolic activities[16][17][18][19]. Increased arachidonic acid levels are actually associated with reduced pro-inflammatory IL-6 and IL-1 levels, and increased anti-inflammatory tumor-necrosis factor-beta[20]. This may reduce inflammation under certain conditions.
Arachidonic acid does still play a central role in inflammation related to many diseased states. How it is metabolized in the body dictates its inflammatory or anti-inflammatory activity. Individuals suffering from joint pains or active inflammatory disease may find that increased arachidonic acid consumption exacerbates symptoms, probably because it is being more readily converted to inflammatory compounds. Likewise, high arachidonic acid consumption is not advised for individuals with a history of inflammatory disease, or that are in compromised health. It is also of note that while ARA supplementation does not appear to have pro-inflammatory effects in healthy individuals, it may counter the anti-inflammatory effects of omega-3 EFA supplementation[21].

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 05:19:16 pm »
What is AA and what is SF?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline popeye

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 05:21:15 pm »
What is AA and what is SF?

arachidonic acid / saturated fat

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 09:34:43 pm »
Saturated fat isn't the problem. More and more scientists are accepting, finally, that cooked food, especially cooked animal food, causes widespread inflammation resulting in multiple health-porblems over time. Read anything online about "Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons(PAHs), AGEs=advanced glycation end products, ALEs(advanced lipoxidation end products), NSAs(nitrosamines), and HCAs(heterocyclic amines).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk