Author Topic: Safe Sterilization  (Read 5903 times)

Offline protoject

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Safe Sterilization
« on: November 09, 2009, 03:56:27 pm »
Heeey good folks!
So I've been thinking about something for a while now, but haven't tried it yet.  [except for squeezing lemon onto raw fish..]

First of all I need to make it clear that I don't have a bacteria / parasite paranoia, because I've eaten a lot of raw animal foods without any major serious problems. I understand problems are possible but the most serious I've ever experienced was perhaps an acute bacterial infection, which was not confirmed as being bacterial, and a couple yrs ago a bad parasite overload which I only got from eating a specific food.

Anyway, reason I'm posting today is that I'm wondering if any of you know of , or have innovated methods of sterilizing your raw meat foods. I believe some food is salted to sterilize it but I'm thinking of other methods cause I dont want to eat a lot of salt.

Reason I'd like to try this is because I do get some bad feelings / physical symptoms from eating some raw animal foods and would like to see what would happen if I actually sterilized the food. That way I wouldn't become bacteria-sick but would still get all the nutrients I want from the food.

I know maybe some of you don't agree with the idea of blending because it's not 'paleo' or whatever,  but I've been considering blending a few of my favorite top quality raw animal foods into a mixture, and mixing it with something that would sterilize it. I know lemon juice is anti-bacterial. I'm wondering if you's know of any specific foods or food grade products that I could mix with or soak  raw animal food that either would, generally sterilize it , but more importantly  aim towards specific types of bacteria IE food X has Z bacteria and Y food is proven to kill that bacteria.

Haha maybe I'm going on a wild goose chase here but hopefully something interesting will come up.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Safe Sterilization
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 07:34:51 pm »
Lemon juice?

Bacteria is supposed to be good for you. Maybe you ate bad grain fed meat.

Offline protoject

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 10:20:39 pm »
yeah yeah, I know, but see, I'm an experimental individual, so I would like to try sterilization to see if there's a difference in feeling when eating the food.

When I eat raw fish there's a definite bacterial problem. Slight, but definite.  The health benefits are always worth it in the long term, but, again, I'm experimental. And at the moment I'm not on an all raw animal product diet, so there's also the factor of being adapted to the bacteria that I'd take into consideration. Not from a 'fear' perspective but from a "I am not eating this every day and if I did I would have to wait to see how long it would take my body to get used to it, if it would at all and if my body would be able to get along with it" kinda deal.

The bacteria is only a slight issue at the time but I'd like to experiment and see what would happen if i ate that same raw product after some sterilization technique.

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 10:25:48 pm »
Most here do not have more than the usual occasional cases of food poisoning, it's really not as common with RAF as one might expect.

I use herbs and what I call "medicinals" such as teas, bitters, resins, barks, etc to counteract any of these bacterial and parasitic problems. Barefoot Herbalist has many good preparations if you don't want to investigate and prepare them yourself.

I'd prefer to have any of these "bad" elements of raw food in order to build immunity.

This, of course, does not include actually invested or spoiled food. Obtaining carefully handled food from healthy animals is very important. I no longer eat raw fish from the supermarket because of these issues. This means that I eat less fish, but it can't be helped due to my location.

William

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 03:03:23 am »
The best way of making "fresh" raw meat edible is to dry it thoroughly. Forget about germs.
Whatever it is that makes for unpleasant reactions (very complicated - environmental medicine) has been shown to be removed by making it into jerky or pemmican.

Another way is high meat, where bacteria thoroughly "process" the meat into an edible form for the bold and brave. I haven't tried it yet.

Offline protoject

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 05:03:56 am »
The best way of making "fresh" raw meat edible is to dry it thoroughly. Forget about germs.
Whatever it is that makes for unpleasant reactions (very complicated - environmental medicine) has been shown to be removed by making it into jerky or pemmican.

Another way is high meat, where bacteria thoroughly "process" the meat into an edible form for the bold and brave. I haven't tried it yet.

Yes.. that's what I was thinking!  [drying], I spose when it's dry the bacteria's got nothing left to live on [needs moisture], I'm going to have to hit somebodys post about a homemade dehydrator again

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 07:33:08 am »
  Only an opinion;  bacteria doesn't die at normal dehydrator 100f temps.  They just go into a 'coma' or dormant.  Same with yeasts or molds.  When you eat dry meat, that meat absorbs rapidly any moisture in the gut/stomach which should be highly acidic.  This straight, rather than diluted solution then has a greater chance of 'killing' the bacteria/yeasts then if acting on fresh moisture full meat.     But then I am also of the opinion that with fresh grass fed beef the bacterial and yeast count isn't of any real concern.  One can always buy large pieces of meat and shave off the exposed pieces that may have been contaminated on the butcher's cutting table.    I haven't tested for myself, but am curious as to why William finds it so much more digestible than fresh.  This comment comes from curiosity rather than doubt or any criticism.

William

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 10:32:49 am »
  Only an opinion;  bacteria doesn't die at normal dehydrator 100f temps.  They just go into a 'coma' or dormant.  Same with yeasts or molds.  When you eat dry meat, that meat absorbs rapidly any moisture in the gut/stomach which should be highly acidic.  This straight, rather than diluted solution then has a greater chance of 'killing' the bacteria/yeasts then if acting on fresh moisture full meat.     But then I am also of the opinion that with fresh grass fed beef the bacterial and yeast count isn't of any real concern.  One can always buy large pieces of meat and shave off the exposed pieces that may have been contaminated on the butcher's cutting table.    I haven't tested for myself, but am curious as to why William finds it so much more digestible than fresh.  This comment comes from curiosity rather than doubt or any criticism.

There are two men who eat raw only because they say that their stomachs do not and cannot secrete HCl.
One is A. Vonderplanitz.

As to why jerky and pemmican is more acceptable to many than raw meat, I don't know.

Digestion is still mostly a mystery.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 10:38:56 am »
As to why jerky and pemmican is more acceptable to many than raw meat, I don't know.
I think it's because it's more removed from blood.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 10:11:51 am »
Pemmican being more digestible makes sense, because it's pre-digested (shredded/ground). Why drying beef would make it more digestible, I don't know. I suppose it breaks down the cell walls a bit.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 08:40:22 pm »
Pemmican being more digestible makes sense, because it's pre-digested (shredded/ground). Why drying beef would make it more digestible, I don't know. I suppose it breaks down the cell walls a bit.
Drying removes water in the meat resulting in a higher acid concentration of the stomach acid.
I don't know if there's cellular changes as well but I suppose it's possible.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk